[9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p - Plan9 ; Hi, all. I've some question about plan9port on FreeBSD 6.2 + fuse. My config is: Host duke: FreeBSD 6.2, fuse mounts allowed to non privileged users, plan9port installed with no problems (30-jan). Host milagro: Plan9 file+auth+secstore server, fossil+venti. Host dria: ...

  1. [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p

    Hi, all.
    I've some question about plan9port on FreeBSD 6.2 + fuse.

    My config is:

    Host duke: FreeBSD 6.2, fuse mounts allowed to non privileged users,
    plan9port installed with no problems (30-jan).
    Host milagro: Plan9 file+auth+secstore server, fossil+venti.
    Host dria: Plan9 terminal served by milagro
    User adriano: non privileged user, same on duke and milagro
    Network setup ok on all machines.
    -------------------------
    Q.1
    duke% export NAMESPACE=/home/adriano/NS
    duke% factotum
    duke% 9fs milagro
    duke% 9 mount NS/milagro mil
    factotoum ok, with/without secstore.
    mount ok.

    duke% echo ciaociao > mil/usr/adriano/ciao
    bash: mil/usr/adriano/ciao: Permissione denied

    Also using vi, creating files is not allowed and the message is:
    "bad mode 01001 - Permission denied"

    Instead, on duke, the user adriano can modify and delete
    his already existent (created from "dria" terminal) files
    served by milagro.

    How can I allow file creation directly from duke (FreeBSD) ?

    Q.2

    duke% 9p -a milagro -A main/archive

    Ok for all s, I see, read etc milagro's archive.

    How can I mount main/{archive,snapshot} on a duke's directory ?
    In P9P doc I've not found how to issue a command like
    "mount /srv/fossil /n/arc main/archive".
    My mistake or feature intentionally not implemented (or not implemented
    yet)?

    Q.3

    All tests done using the raw char console (no X)
    produce the expected network traffic.

    Under X + KDE there is a continuous, unsolicited, net activity
    which stops dismounting the Plan9 file server (milagro)
    or stopping X without dimounting milagro.
    This is independent on the environment from which milagro has been
    mounted (char console or X-KDE).
    I tried all command sequences to have both milagro mounted and KDE
    running, but the final behaviour is always the same.

    Where/what am I mistaking ?
    ----------------------------------

    I apologize for my not fluent english.

    Thanks in advance for suggestions.

    A. Verardo

  2. Re: [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p

    > Q.1
    > duke% export NAMESPACE=/home/adriano/NS
    > duke% factotum
    > duke% 9fs milagro
    > duke% 9 mount NS/milagro mil
    > factotoum ok, with/without secstore.
    > mount ok.

    When you run 9fs, you should be prompted for
    a user name and password to use. Are you being prompted?

    > duke% echo ciaociao > mil/usr/adriano/ciao
    > bash: mil/usr/adriano/ciao: Permissione denied

    try:

    echo hi | 9p write milagro/usr/adriano/ciao

    that will cut FUSE out of the loop, just to make things
    a little simpler.

    > Q.2
    >
    > duke% 9p -a milagro -A main/archive
    >
    > Ok for all s, I see, read etc milagro's archive.
    >
    > How can I mount main/{archive,snapshot} on a duke's directory ?
    > In P9P doc I've not found how to issue a command like
    > "mount /srv/fossil /n/arc main/archive".
    > My mistake or feature intentionally not implemented (or not implemented
    > yet)?

    Just not implemented. It should be, it isn't.
    You can use this as a workaround:

    srv -a -A main/archive milagro milagro-dump
    9 mount `namespace`/milagro-dump /dump

    > Q.3
    >
    > All tests done using the raw char console (no X)
    > produce the expected network traffic.
    >
    > Under X + KDE there is a continuous, unsolicited, net activity
    > which stops dismounting the Plan9 file server (milagro)
    > or stopping X without dimounting milagro.
    > This is independent on the environment from which milagro has been
    > mounted (char console or X-KDE).
    > I tried all command sequences to have both milagro mounted and KDE
    > running, but the final behaviour is always the same.
    >
    > Where/what am I mistaking ?

    There is probably some KDE daemon running in the background
    that is excited about a new drive being mounted and is scanning it.
    ("Modern" X window managers like KDE and GNOME just do this
    sort of thing, ostensibly to make your life better, though that's
    rarely the effect.) You might try running

    lsof | grep mil/

    to find out which programs are holding open references to milagro.
    You might also be able use "umount -f" to force an unmount.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p

    Russ Cox wrote:

    >> Q.1
    >> duke% export NAMESPACE=/home/adriano/NS
    >> duke% factotum
    >> duke% 9fs milagro
    >> duke% 9 mount NS/milagro mil
    >> factotoum ok, with/without secstore.
    >> mount ok.

    > When you run 9fs, you should be prompted for
    > a user name and password to use. Are you being prompted?

    Yes, only the first time, for p9sk1. As expected.
    Setting env $secstore to point milagro, duke's factotum asks for the
    secstore password. Again, as expected.
    >> duke% echo ciaociao > mil/usr/adriano/ciao
    >> bash: mil/usr/adriano/ciao: Permissione denied

    > try:
    >
    > echo hi | 9p write milagro/usr/adriano/ciao

    Yes, the first test I done. 9p works ok in all situations.
    My problem is that I would like to exploit the backup capability
    of milagro for developers working on BSD boxes.
    No problem, they will create files using 9p.
    > that will cut FUSE out of the loop, just to make things
    > a little simpler.
    >
    >> Q.2
    >>
    >> duke% 9p -a milagro -A main/archive
    >>
    >> Ok for all s, I see, read etc milagro's archive.
    >>
    >> How can I mount main/{archive,snapshot} on a duke's directory ?
    >> In P9P doc I've not found how to issue a command like
    >> "mount /srv/fossil /n/arc main/archive".
    >> My mistake or feature intentionally not implemented (or not implemented
    >> yet)?

    > Just not implemented. It should be, it isn't.
    > You can use this as a workaround:
    >
    > srv -a -A main/archive milagro milagro-dump
    > 9 mount `namespace`/milagro-dump /dump

    OK ! I can ls, diff, and view archived files.
    The hist(1) cmd looks for /n/dump/duke root. Correct ?
    Mounting milagro-dump onto duke's /dump/duke instead of /dump,
    hist(1) displays only the first line and not the whole story
    as Plan9's history(1) do on the same file. Why ?
    >> Q.3
    >>
    >> All tests done using the raw char console (no X)
    >> produce the expected network traffic.
    >>
    >> Under X + KDE there is a continuous, unsolicited, net activity
    >> which stops dismounting the Plan9 file server (milagro)
    >> or stopping X without dimounting milagro.
    >> This is independent on the environment from which milagro has been
    >> mounted (char console or X-KDE).
    >> I tried all command sequences to have both milagro mounted and KDE
    >> running, but the final behaviour is always the same.
    >>
    >> Where/what am I mistaking ?

    > There is probably some KDE daemon running in the background
    > that is excited about a new drive being mounted and is scanning it.
    > ("Modern" X window managers like KDE and GNOME just do this
    > sort of thing, ostensibly to make your life better, though that's
    > rarely the effect.) You might try running
    >
    > lsof | grep mil/
    >
    > to find out which programs are holding open references to milagro.
    > You might also be able use "umount -f" to force an unmount.
    >
    > Russ

    Ah, I'll try to find the (probably useless) deamon.
    From "ps ax" I see all 9pserve and 9pfuse tasks eating a lot of cpu.

    Thank you very much, Russ.

    Adriano

  4. Re: [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p

    > OK ! I can ls, diff, and view archived files.
    > The hist(1) cmd looks for /n/dump/duke root. Correct ?
    > Mounting milagro-dump onto duke's /dump/duke instead of /dump,
    > hist(1) displays only the first line and not the whole story
    > as Plan9's history(1) do on the same file. Why ?

    hist(1) is intended for use with vbackup and vnfs,
    not with the real Plan 9 dump file system.
    the convention there is to mount on /dump and
    have backups for a particular system be /dump/sysname/.
    if you want exactly the Plan 9 history command,
    the best thing to do is copy history.c from a Plan 9
    machine and compile it.

    russ

+ Reply to Thread