[9fans] tiny horrible xen status - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] tiny horrible xen status - Plan9 ; So, I have Xvnc working on tiny horrible xen. I do not have firefox there yet. I am hoping somebody is willing to try this ... any takers? thanks ron...

  1. [9fans] tiny horrible xen status

    So, I have Xvnc working on tiny horrible xen. I do not have firefox there yet.

    I am hoping somebody is willing to try this ... any takers?

    thanks

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] tiny horrible xen status

    On 2/2/07, ron minnich wrote:
    > So, I have Xvnc working on tiny horrible xen. I do not have firefox there yet.
    >
    > I am hoping somebody is willing to try this ... any takers?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ron

    Can I get a summary of what tiny horrible xen does at this point, and
    what I'd need to do to test it?
    Might be interested.

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  3. Re: [9fans] tiny horrible xen status

    On 2/2/07, John Floren wrote:

    > Can I get a summary of what tiny horrible xen does at this point, and
    > what I'd need to do to test it?
    > Might be interested.

    Tiny Horrible Xen -- hey! THX -- that was an accident!

    Sorry.

    Tiny Horrible Xen -- THX -- is a minimal -- BTW, only in the linux
    world can you call this minimal:
    /dev/hda4 12405032 440620 11334264 4% /xentest

    Sorry.

    Tiny Horrible Xen -- THX -- is a thing Aki and I cooked up, using
    Richard Miller's port of Plan 9 to Xen 3. It is a minimal disk image
    with a minimal linux and minimal X11. It boots in a few seconds,
    direct to a /bin/bash prompt, since we don't run any linux shi --er,
    scripts. It has all the modules we can find compiled for it. It mounts
    ramfs over the writeable places -- /var/tmp, /tmp, etc. -- so the disk
    footprint will not grow. It does not yet run root read-only.

    Anyway, it has all the modules. It boots to a bash prompt, running one
    bash on each of 6 VTs. The goal is to use Linux as a huge driver layer
    for Plan 9, and have Linux do nothing else. We provide a native
    drawterm that runs in /dev/fb (thanks aki!). VNC works. we have the
    plan9ports rio on the linux side in /usr/bin. Xvnc works. So you can
    run an X desktop in a vnc window that looks like X. In all ways,
    linux, running as domain 0, is intended to be subordinate to Plan 9.

    You can't run native X11, since we don't provide those servers, This
    is intentional.

    The Plan 9 boots as a terminal and gets root from Somewhere On The
    Net. I use 9grid.net. I need to learn how to use CFS.

    Users wanted.

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] tiny horrible xen status

    > Richard Miller's port of Plan 9 to Xen 3

    I don't deserve all the credit. Ron and Tim built the foundation;
    I just finished it up and wrote some drivers.

+ Reply to Thread