[9fans] yacc manual - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] yacc manual - Plan9 ; What is the best reference for yacc available? I have the O'Reilly "lex & yacc" book and S. C. Johnson's 1978 paper from the 7th Edition manual, but is there something that more closely reflects Plan 9 yacc? (Besides the ...

  1. [9fans] yacc manual

    What is the best reference for yacc available? I have the O'Reilly
    "lex & yacc" book and S. C. Johnson's 1978 paper from the 7th Edition
    manual, but is there something that more closely reflects Plan 9 yacc?
    (Besides the unavailable 10th Edition manual, I mean). Is there
    somewhere a list of changes in yacc between 1978 and 1990?

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] yacc manual

    > (Besides the unavailable 10th Edition manual, I mean)

    a brief search on the internet (e.g. ISBN 0030475295) suggests that
    it is still possible to get hold of...

  3. Re: [9fans] yacc manual

    > What is the best reference for yacc available? I have the O'Reilly
    > "lex & yacc" book and S. C. Johnson's 1978 paper from the 7th Edition
    > manual, but is there something that more closely reflects Plan 9 yacc?
    > (Besides the unavailable 10th Edition manual, I mean). Is there
    > somewhere a list of changes in yacc between 1978 and 1990?

    Nothing you should depend on has changed.
    I am sure the O'Reilly book suffices.

    Russ

  4. Re: [9fans] yacc manual

    > Nothing you should depend on has changed.
    > I am sure the O'Reilly book suffices.

    Thanks.

    --Joel

  5. Re: [9fans] yacc manual

    > > (Besides the unavailable 10th Edition manual, I mean)
    >
    > a brief search on the internet (e.g. ISBN 0030475295) suggests that
    > it is still possible to get hold of...

    Listed for $50–80 by stores that don't have it, and for $300+ by those
    that do. That qualifies as unavailable to me. ☹

    --Joel

  6. Re: [9fans] yacc manual

    > What is the best reference for yacc available? I have the O'Reilly
    > "lex & yacc" book and S. C. Johnson's 1978 paper from the 7th Edition
    > manual, but is there something that more closely reflects Plan 9 yacc?
    > (Besides the unavailable 10th Edition manual, I mean). Is there
    > somewhere a list of changes in yacc between 1978 and 1990?

    Introduction to Compiler Construction With Unix (ISBN: 0134743962)

  7. [9fans] Finding out of print books

    > Introduction to Compiler Construction With Unix (ISBN: 0134743962)

    This, and lots of other out-of-print documentation can be found
    through abebooks.com. They show three copies of the above book,
    starting at USD$34.95 (I just bought the $30 copy :-)

    I've used them in the past to track down the (original) Awk book,
    volume 2 of _Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System_,
    the dragon book, etc. In over half a dozen orders placed through
    them I've never had a problem.

    Note: I don't work there, own shares, get a commission, etc. I'm
    just a happy customer.

    --lyndon

  8. Re: [9fans] Finding out of print books

    On 2/3/07, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
    > > Introduction to Compiler Construction With Unix (ISBN: 0134743962)

    > This, and lots of other out-of-print documentation can be found
    > through abebooks.com. They show three copies of the above book,
    > starting at USD$34.95 (I just bought the $30 copy :-)

    CheapestBookPrice.com pointed me to Amazon.com Marketplace; $24 +
    $3.50 shipping. The next one available goes for $28.25 + shipping.

    --Joel

+ Reply to Thread