[9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap - Plan9 ; Hi, ever since I recently pulled all the newly rebuilt binaries and managed to rebuild my pccpuf kernel I see odd behaviour whenever my fossil snaps. That is both the regular snapshots and the archival snapshots seem to complete correctly, ...

  1. [9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap

    Hi,

    ever since I recently pulled all the newly rebuilt binaries and
    managed to rebuild my pccpuf kernel I see odd behaviour whenever my
    fossil snaps. That is both the regular snapshots and the archival
    snapshots seem to complete correctly, but immediately afterwards my
    cpu machine freezes up. It feels very much like the file system is
    frozen, since some shell builtin commands appear to work, but as soon
    as I do something file based the whole thing freezes without any
    indication as to what is going on anywhere.

    Does anyone see similar behaviour?

    Thanks for any pointers in trying to get to the bottom of this,
    Robby

    --
    r dot raschke at tombob dot com

  2. Re: [9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap

    I wrote:
    > ever since I recently pulled all the newly rebuilt binaries and
    > managed to rebuild my pccpuf kernel I see odd behaviour whenever my
    > fossil snaps. That is both the regular snapshots and the archival
    > snapshots seem to complete correctly, but immediately afterwards my
    > cpu machine freezes up. It feels very much like the file system is
    > frozen, since some shell builtin commands appear to work, but as soon
    > as I do something file based the whole thing freezes without any
    > indication as to what is going on anywhere.
    >
    > Does anyone see similar behaviour?
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers in trying to get to the bottom of this,
    > Robby

    Oh well, it did happen three times in a row, but now everything is
    fine. I am wondering if it was just me being impatient with the
    snapshots finishing due to the amount of recent changes that I pulled.
    Probably.

    Apologies for the noise,

    Robby

    --
    r dot raschke at tombob dot com

  3. Re: [9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap

    > ever since I recently pulled all the newly rebuilt binaries and
    > managed to rebuild my pccpuf kernel I see odd behaviour whenever my
    > fossil snaps. That is both the regular snapshots and the archival
    > snapshots seem to complete correctly, but immediately afterwards my
    > cpu machine freezes up. It feels very much like the file system is
    > frozen, since some shell builtin commands appear to work, but as soon
    > as I do something file based the whole thing freezes without any
    > indication as to what is going on anywhere.

    This is sad but true. I have explained it on 9fans before, but I cannot
    find the messages. Fossil's block locking needs to be reworked some
    so that blocks waiting to be written (which are locked for that purpose)
    can still be locked and copied. I think a simple read-write lock might
    suffice, but I am not doing active fossil development anymore.

    Russ

  4. Re: [9fans] strange complete hangs after a fossil snap

    > This is sad but true. I have explained it on 9fans before, but I cannot
    > find the messages. Fossil's block locking needs to be reworked some
    > so that blocks waiting to be written (which are locked for that purpose)
    > can still be locked and copied. I think a simple read-write lock might
    > suffice, but I am not doing active fossil development anymore.

    I should add that the length of wait is in fact proportional to the
    amount of data being flushed to venti, and that the bug was not
    recently introduced but has always been there. You saw a big delay
    because there was a lot to write to venti, not because fossil got
    worse.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread