[9fans] floppy install? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] floppy install? - Plan9 ; Hi - I have a oldish, small form factor workstation (a Toshiba Equium 7100 to be exact, 4GB hard drive, 64MB ram, network card recognized) with no CD drive, and I've attempted to install via floppy and I get as ...

  1. [9fans] floppy install?

    Hi -
    I have a oldish, small form factor workstation (a Toshiba Equium 7100
    to be exact, 4GB hard drive, 64MB ram, network card recognized) with
    no CD drive, and I've attempted to install via floppy and I get as far
    as the download portion of the install, and then the download craps
    out with

    (download): null list in concatenation

    And then thinks it's ready for mounting the dist.

    Any suggestions, ideas?

    Thanks in advance!
    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  2. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    i suppose you could avoid this step by mounting the distribution from cd.

    - erik

    On Mon Jan 29 09:48:29 EST 2007, osborne6@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi -
    > I have a oldish, small form factor workstation (a Toshiba Equium 7100
    > to be exact, 4GB hard drive, 64MB ram, network card recognized) with
    > no CD drive, and I've attempted to install via floppy and I get as far
    > as the download portion of the install, and then the download craps
    > out with
    >
    > (download): null list in concatenation
    >
    > And then thinks it's ready for mounting the dist.
    >
    > Any suggestions, ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    On 1/29/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > i suppose you could avoid this step by mounting the distribution from cd.
    >
    > - erik
    >
    > On Mon Jan 29 09:48:29 EST 2007, osborne6@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi -
    > > I have a oldish, small form factor workstation (a Toshiba Equium 7100
    > > to be exact, 4GB hard drive, 64MB ram, network card recognized) with
    > > no CD drive, and I've attempted to install via floppy and I get as far
    > > as the download portion of the install, and then the download craps
    > > out with
    > >
    > > (download): null list in concatenation
    > >
    > > And then thinks it's ready for mounting the dist.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions, ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    Erik, he could avoid this step by mounting the distribution from cd if
    you were to, say, send him a CDROM drive. Otherwise, when he says it
    doesn't have a drive, that would mean he can't mount the cd.
    I've had this same problem myself. Is it one of those "Oh, not worth
    fixing, everyone should be booting from CD anyway" problems (known
    about but not going to be fixed, ever), or what?

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  4. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    Hello

    if you can create a partition on the disk, then you can download it
    manually and store it there. When the installer ask where is it, just
    point it to the partition on which you downloaded it. I think the
    installer just hget a file, but that file probably no longer exists
    :-?, i think there is only a CD iso now, so you can download the iso,
    save it on a partition and mount it :-?

    may be using other computer is possible too (mount via 9p other host
    with the distribution) :-?

    i've never needed this

    slds.

    gabi

    On 1/29/07, John Osborne wrote:
    > Hi -
    > I have a oldish, small form factor workstation (a Toshiba Equium 7100
    > to be exact, 4GB hard drive, 64MB ram, network card recognized) with
    > no CD drive, and I've attempted to install via floppy and I get as far
    > as the download portion of the install, and then the download craps
    > out with
    >
    > (download): null list in concatenation
    >
    > And then thinks it's ready for mounting the dist.
    >
    > Any suggestions, ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > --
    > John Osborne
    > osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  5. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    That would be nice, and I would have tried that first, but as I
    mentioned below, the machine in question doesn't have a CD drive, and
    to make matters worse, when I've tried to connect a CD drive to it in
    the past, the CD drive doesn't seem to work with this machine.

    Now, in the installation document on the wiki, it says the archive can
    be pulled from a bzip-ed cd image or uncompressed cd image. I'm
    assuming that I could pull the disk (or somehow copy the image over)
    onto the fat partition and install that way -- anyone else try that
    recently?

    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  6. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    okay, sorry. i'm wearing the dunce cap today.

    i didn't know the floppy install was broken.

    would it make sense to provide a fossil install image that could
    be dd'd from linux or something onto a drive? or one could boot
    from the floppy and then hget > /dev/sd$disk/fossil.

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    at the risk of missing the point again, what do you mean by "not work"?
    do you mean, the machine won't boot from the machine or do you mean
    it just doesn't see the cd?

    i have 2 440MX/BX motherboards that will not boot from cd.
    however, once booted via the floppy, i can mount the cd just fine.
    i don't know if this is the case for you.

    hope this helps,
    - erik

  8. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    It's not that the machine in question doesn't see the CD drive, it
    just doesn't have a CD drive. The install from floppy works up to the
    point where it is trying to download the archive. I just need a way
    to get the archive via the floppy, keeping in mind this machine has no
    CD drive whatsoever. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to maybe do one
    of two things, 1.) pull the drive from the machine and put the bzip-ed
    cd image on the fat partition via my linux box, or 2.) use some other
    non plan9 boot floppy to mount the fat partition and
    ftp/grab-some-other-way the bzip-ed cd image from the linux box and
    save it to the fat partition.

    Just to clarify, the floppy install worked up to the point of
    downloading the archive. I have the hard disk fully partitioned.

    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

    --
    John Osborne
    osborne6@ieee.org/osborne6@gmail.com/jro@freeshell.org

  9. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    i believe the problem is that the dowloadable floppy is no longer
    modifying its plan9.ini file to set installurl, which the 'download'
    script relies on. edit plan9.ini (you can do this from anything that
    can read fat floppies), adding
    installurl=http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/plan9.iso.bz2.

    i believe this broke when the url for the image stopped being
    dynamically generated.

  10. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    > (download): null list in concatenation

    I have a suspicion (and its only that) that, that
    the variable that is not defined is dist=

    This used to point to an auto generated html path on the
    bell-labs server. It was to ensure people could only download
    plan9 if they clicked through a disclaimer.

    If I am right you need to use a Windows machine to edit the
    file plan9.ini on the floppy - its a standard DOS format disk.
    Add the line:

    installurl=http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/plan9.iso.bz2

    and try again.

    I am fairly sure, but not not definite this will work, however
    if I am close I reckon someone will jump in and correct me :-)

    -Steve

  11. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    Sorry for the confusiuon, just re-read what I wrote:

    The variable in question is installurl= not dist= (my first
    guess before I checked the source).

    -Steve

  12. Re: [9fans] floppy install?

    Thanks to Steve and Anthony for pointing that out.
    I think I have posted a new floppy image that has
    the installurl set in plan9.ini.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread