[9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout - Plan9 ; hello it was usual in the unix time (that is, when there was no plan9) to have those bloated disk layouts that lunix suggests? or just was common to have a couple of disks instead of one? i wonder where ...

  1. [9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout

    hello

    it was usual in the unix time (that is, when there was no plan9) to
    have those bloated disk layouts that lunix suggests? or just was
    common to have a couple of disks instead of one?

    i wonder where that came from. . .

    thanks,

    gabi

    On 1/28/07, sqweek wrote:
    > On 1/28/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > if(test -f /dev/mousectl && ~ $mouseport ps2 ps2intellimouse 0 1 2 usb){
    > > if(~ $mouseport usb)
    > > usbstart
    > > if not
    > > aux/mouse $mouseport

    > Inspired by this code, I tried entering some gibberish at the
    > mouseport prompt instead of just hitting enter, and suddenly the
    > keyboard worked for the install.
    > So, two hours and one recovery from having my partition table crapped
    > on (thank you testdisk) later, I have plan9 installed. Tomorrow I'll
    > see if I can convince lilo to boot it and check out the usb stuff.
    >
    > But OK, the partition thing deserves some attention. I'm actually
    > somewhat impressed and somewhat horrified at the same time... Here was
    > my setup prior to the plan9 install (9039 cylinders total):
    > PRI1 0001-8633 Extended
    > PRI2 8634-8756 Linux swap
    > LOG5 0001-0032 Linux /boot
    > LOG6 0033-2465 Linux /home
    > LOG7 2466-4333 Linux /usr
    > LOG8 4334-4956 Linux /var
    > LOG9 4957-5081 Linux /
    > LOG10 5082-5144 Linux /tmp
    >
    > So I went to give plan9 about 5G of logical partition at 5145-5775
    > (IIRC I entered p8 as the partition name in plan9's fdisk, which may
    > have marked the start of my problems). This is what I ended up with:
    > PRI1 0001-5144 Extended
    > PRI2 5145-5775 Plan9
    > PRI3 8634-8756 Linux swap
    > LOG5 0001-0032 Linux /boot
    > LOG6 0033-2465 Linux /home
    >
    > And that's it, logical partitions 7-10 where nowhere to be found
    > (linux wasn't to happy when it couldn't find its root device). So
    > plan9 shoved the swap partition out of the way and made a new primary
    > for itself (this is the impressive part). Fortunately, after restoring
    > the missing partitions and booting back into linux it hasn't mounted
    > /dev/sda2 as swap and pissed all over the plan9 install. I think that
    > makes the score Linux: 1 Plan9: 0 sqweek: -1.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether it's the partitioning step that did me in or the
    > boot setup. Since I don't have windows and couldn't be assed looking
    > for a floppy, I hit plan9 at that step, which may have been what
    > motivated it to put itself on a primary partition.

  2. Re: [9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout

    I'm not really sure about original motivations, to be honest.
    Personally, I have a seperate partition for /boot to make sure the
    kernel stays beneath cylinder 1024 (when I started using linux this
    was a common BIOS/bootloader limitation, so /boot became something of
    a habit).
    Having /home on a seperate partition is comforting, at the very least
    - in a worst case scenario where I totally **** up my system I can
    just wipe the /boot /usr /var / /tmp partitions and not worry about
    losing anything important.
    /usr /var and /tmp are kind of an extension of the partitioning
    scheme, and in retrospect pretty much useless. It just forces me to
    use a bit of discipline about how much crap I keep around (I've run
    out of space on /var a couple of times).

    PS. If you're going to top post while quoting a bottom posted reply
    can you at least snip the irrelevant junk?

    On 1/29/07, Gabriel Diaz wrote:
    > it was usual in the unix time (that is, when there was no plan9) to
    > have those bloated disk layouts that lunix suggests? or just was
    > common to have a couple of disks instead of one?
    >
    > On 1/28/07, sqweek wrote:
    > > PRI1 0001-8633 Extended
    > > PRI2 8634-8756 Linux swap
    > > LOG5 0001-0032 Linux /boot
    > > LOG6 0033-2465 Linux /home
    > > LOG7 2466-4333 Linux /usr
    > > LOG8 4334-4956 Linux /var
    > > LOG9 4957-5081 Linux /
    > > LOG10 5082-5144 Linux /tmp

  3. Re: [9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout

    hello

    > I'm not really sure about original motivations, to be honest.

    that's just what i want to know about, if was common on unix days.

    > PS. If you're going to top post while quoting a bottom posted reply
    > can you at least snip the irrelevant junk?

    i've just replied, i will take more care if this is so annoying. I
    should put that on a new non-related mail, that way would be easier to
    see that i didn't mean that your particular disk is bad o not. My
    apologies to make you justify something doesn't need a justification.

    slds.

    gabi

+ Reply to Thread