[9fans] Installation keyboard troubles - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Installation keyboard troubles - Plan9 ; Hi guys, I've had a little experience with plan9 via p9p - went to try out the real thing today but ran into some issues. I have a USB keyboard[1] and USB mouse[2]. My BIOS doesn't have any explicit PS/2 ...

  1. [9fans] Installation keyboard troubles

    Hi guys, I've had a little experience with plan9 via p9p - went to
    try out the real thing today but ran into some issues.
    I have a USB keyboard[1] and USB mouse[2]. My BIOS doesn't have any
    explicit PS/2 emulation option for USB keyboards, but it does have a
    "USB Keyboard support via" option for which I can select OS or BIOS. I
    have it set to BIOS so that I can type stuff at the LILO prompt
    (otherwise the keyboard is unresponsive until linux boots).
    If I choose install when booting off the iso (which I downloaded 2
    hours ago), rio loads up with three windows visible, the top one
    suggesting that I go onto fsconfig, but I can't move the mouse or type
    anything. The display isn't locked up - the graphs in the lower left
    continue to update, but not even ctrl-alt-del gets a response so I
    just have to hard reboot.
    If I boot off the iso, it's a different story - the keyboard works
    fine. I still can't get the mouse going, but I don't exactly know what
    I'm doing - I just tried usb/usbd followed by usb/usbmouse with no
    arguments (when that didn't help I tried "cat /dev/mousein", which
    returned immediately...).
    Any thoughts?

    [1] Happy hacking keyboard lite 2
    [2] Logitech trackman wheel

  2. Re: [9fans] Installation keyboard troubles

    yes,

    perhaps this demonstrates that i don't understand what i was
    supposed to do, but i had trouble with a usb mouse when i got
    a new machine in october. my solution was to set
    mouseport=usb
    in plan9.ini and modify termrc to use this for mouse startup
    rather than the traditional code:

    [...]
    if(test -f /dev/mousectl && ~ $mouseport ps2 ps2intellimouse 0 1 2 usb){
    if(~ $mouseport usb)
    usbstart
    if not
    aux/mouse $mouseport
    # parse vgasize into fields
    vgasize=`{echo $vgasize}
    if(! ~ $"monitor '' && ! ~ `{cat /dev/user} none)
    aux/vga -l $vgasize
    if(~ $accupoint 1)
    pipefile -dr /bin/aux/accupoint /dev/mouse
    }

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Installation keyboard troubles

    On 1/28/07, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > if(test -f /dev/mousectl && ~ $mouseport ps2 ps2intellimouse 0 1 2 usb){
    > if(~ $mouseport usb)
    > usbstart
    > if not
    > aux/mouse $mouseport

    Inspired by this code, I tried entering some gibberish at the
    mouseport prompt instead of just hitting enter, and suddenly the
    keyboard worked for the install.
    So, two hours and one recovery from having my partition table crapped
    on (thank you testdisk) later, I have plan9 installed. Tomorrow I'll
    see if I can convince lilo to boot it and check out the usb stuff.

    But OK, the partition thing deserves some attention. I'm actually
    somewhat impressed and somewhat horrified at the same time... Here was
    my setup prior to the plan9 install (9039 cylinders total):
    PRI1 0001-8633 Extended
    PRI2 8634-8756 Linux swap
    LOG5 0001-0032 Linux /boot
    LOG6 0033-2465 Linux /home
    LOG7 2466-4333 Linux /usr
    LOG8 4334-4956 Linux /var
    LOG9 4957-5081 Linux /
    LOG10 5082-5144 Linux /tmp

    So I went to give plan9 about 5G of logical partition at 5145-5775
    (IIRC I entered p8 as the partition name in plan9's fdisk, which may
    have marked the start of my problems). This is what I ended up with:
    PRI1 0001-5144 Extended
    PRI2 5145-5775 Plan9
    PRI3 8634-8756 Linux swap
    LOG5 0001-0032 Linux /boot
    LOG6 0033-2465 Linux /home

    And that's it, logical partitions 7-10 where nowhere to be found
    (linux wasn't to happy when it couldn't find its root device). So
    plan9 shoved the swap partition out of the way and made a new primary
    for itself (this is the impressive part). Fortunately, after restoring
    the missing partitions and booting back into linux it hasn't mounted
    /dev/sda2 as swap and pissed all over the plan9 install. I think that
    makes the score Linux: 1 Plan9: 0 sqweek: -1.

    I'm not sure whether it's the partitioning step that did me in or the
    boot setup. Since I don't have windows and couldn't be assed looking
    for a floppy, I hit plan9 at that step, which may have been what
    motivated it to put itself on a primary partition.

  4. Re: [9fans] Installation keyboard troubles

    with a complicated partition arrangement, i would run the partitioning
    part of the installation by hand. (you can always open a new rio window
    during install.) i've never attempted to dual boot plan 9 -- it
    has always seemed an unnecessiary complication to me.

    prep(8) should have information you'll need to (sub)partition things
    by hand.

    another option, if you have a spare disk is to put the plan 9 boot
    partition (you only need <100MB) on one disk and put all the other
    plan 9 stuff on a raw disk -- that is, one with no dos partition table.

    as outlined in the manual pages, the plan 9 boot partition needs to
    contain a pbs, 9load, plan9.ini, and your kernel.

    also, you could create a boot cd image to boot into plan 9. i've
    built such a beast, but it's painful and i don't have the details
    handy.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread