> Trying to understand how authentication works, I ended up using
> snoopy on a cpu connection, something like:
> % snoopy -f 'tcp(sd=17010)'
> and, on another window:
> % cpu
> This will give you lots of lines that looks like:
> ninep(68656c6c6f203966616e7321)

Cpu *does* talk 9P, but it is usually encrypted 9P, and the
chance of 9P encrypting to an ASCII string is pretty low.

If you ran cpu -e none (not an option unless you compile
your own special copy of cpu) you would be able to see
the raw 9P traffic.

> I believe it should say something like:
> unknown(68656c6c6f203966616e7321)
> or
> unknown"helo 9fans"

There's not really any good option here, since the interesting
bits are encrypted, and saying ninep is not a lie, so I'm
inclined just to leave it alone. There's certainly no point in
printing unknown("hello 9fans!"), since as I mentioned above,
it's either 9P or encrypted 9P, never plain text.