[9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup - Plan9 ; hello I'm trying to avoid starting more than one upasfs with my user, so i use this on my profile: plumber .... if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){ mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs } if not { upas/fs -s mount -c ...

  1. [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup

    hello

    I'm trying to avoid starting more than one upasfs with my user, so i
    use this on my profile:

    plumber
    if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    if not {
    upas/fs -s
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    rio starts

    seems that when i log on, upasfs is correctly mounted, and faces gets
    filled with the email messages.

    But when i delete one message (clicking on faces raise a mail window
    with the correct message if it exists) or when a new message arrives,
    faces doesn't get updated.

    upasfs is already mounted on some other session (actually the host
    owner console), and on that session, faces get updated normally.

    what i'm missing? should i kill all my upasfs or faces on each logon?

    thanks

    gabi

  2. Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup

    I think the problm is that you have two copies of the plumber.

    faces(1) sends events to "showmail" which causes the plumber to start
    nedmail to view your messages. faces also listens to the plumbers
    "seemail" port - and is usually sent messages by upas/fs when new mail
    arrives or mail is deleted.

    The problems is that upas/fs that runs on your console (I assume you mean
    the physical VGA screen and keyboard) is talking to a different plumber to
    the one your faces is listening to (on a cpu/drawterm connection).

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup

    (posting again with a slight change. i had the order of plumber/upasfs wrong)

    acme mail under the same conditions has the same behavior. my guess
    is that upasfs deals with /mnt/plumb in the name space it was
    invoked in (i.e. the plumber that started before upas/fs was started).
    so maybe

    if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
    mount /srv/plumb4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    if not {
    plumber
    upas/fs -s
    srvfs plumber4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    rio starts

    > seems that when i log on, upasfs is correctly mounted, and faces gets
    > filled with the email messages.
    >
    > But when i delete one message (clicking on faces raise a mail window
    > with the correct message if it exists) or when a new message arrives,
    > faces doesn't get updated.
    >
    > upasfs is already mounted on some other session (actually the host
    > owner console), and on that session, faces get updated normally.
    >
    > what i'm missing? should i kill all my upasfs or faces on each logon?

  4. Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup

    acme mail under the same conditions has the same behavior. my guess
    is that upasfs deals with /mnt/plumb in the name space it was
    invoked in (i.e. the plumber that started before upas/fs was started).
    so maybe

    if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
    mount /srv/plumb4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    if not {
    upas/fs -s
    plumber
    srvfs plumber4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    }
    rio starts

    > seems that when i log on, upasfs is correctly mounted, and faces gets
    > filled with the email messages.
    >
    > But when i delete one message (clicking on faces raise a mail window
    > with the correct message if it exists) or when a new message arrives,
    > faces doesn't get updated.
    >
    > upasfs is already mounted on some other session (actually the host
    > owner console), and on that session, faces get updated normally.
    >
    > what i'm missing? should i kill all my upasfs or faces on each logon?

  5. Re: [9fans] plumbing, upas/fs and faces setup

    hello

    oh!! thanks, i don't know why i was expecting some magic to happen :-)

    gabi

    On 12/11/06, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > (posting again with a slight change. i had the order of plumber/upasfs wrong)
    >
    > acme mail under the same conditions has the same behavior. my guess
    > is that upasfs deals with /mnt/plumb in the name space it was
    > invoked in (i.e. the plumber that started before upas/fs was started).
    > so maybe
    >
    > if ( test -r /srv/upasfs.$user ){
    > mount /srv/plumb4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    > mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    > }
    > if not {
    > plumber
    > upas/fs -s
    > srvfs plumber4upas.$user /mnt/plumb
    > mount -c /srv/upasfs.$user /mail/fs
    > }
    > rio starts
    >
    > > seems that when i log on, upasfs is correctly mounted, and faces gets
    > > filled with the email messages.
    > >
    > > But when i delete one message (clicking on faces raise a mail window
    > > with the correct message if it exists) or when a new message arrives,
    > > faces doesn't get updated.
    > >
    > > upasfs is already mounted on some other session (actually the host
    > > owner console), and on that session, faces get updated normally.
    > >
    > > what i'm missing? should i kill all my upasfs or faces on each logon?

+ Reply to Thread