Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow - Plan9 ; after watching andrey run plan9 in parallels and seeing the drawterm windows on x11, i'd have agreed with you, but i must say it feels a lot less bad when the "parasite" is full-screen and the "host" programs like firefox ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    after watching andrey run plan9 in parallels and seeing the drawterm
    windows on x11, i'd have agreed with you, but i must say it feels a lot
    less bad when the "parasite" is full-screen and the "host" programs like
    firefox are in a smaller rio window that you can kill or hide at will.

    the firefox i'm writing this in is running full-screen (f11) on a 1000 by
    1000 pixel vnc session and the illusion of having it native is pretty
    damn good (for me anyway) at least until my drawterm hack crashes
    and i start shouting untranslatable words (i hope it's better now that
    i realized drawterm didn't have reentrant memimagedraw)

    On 12/12/06, David Leimbach wrote:

    > > I can't deny the utility of having Firefox (I'm writing this in a
    > > Firefox window), but even if Plan 9 could run Firefox, the next
    > > thing would be oh but it needs to be able to run these ten
    > > plugins, and so on and so on. Personally, I think you are going
    > > to be much happier running Plan 9 in some VM environment on
    > > Linux or Windows than putting in the effort for the other way around.
    > >

    > And a lot of times, at the end of the day, I feel that as a result of
    > wanting to run Plan 9 in a VM environment, even in Parallels, makes me
    > sad, and I'd almost rather use Inferno :-)
    >

    > > Russ

  2. Re: quite Off Topic: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans]extending xen to allow

    On 12/12/06, Georg Lehner wrote:
    > "ron minnich" writes:
    > >> It'd be sweet to have something I could power off of USB 2.0 or
    > >> battery, with a hard drive and wireless (and maybe a serial port for
    > >> jmk).

    > > But I still like the 'stupid little linux CPU' idea.

    Something along these lines?

    http://www.engadget.com/2005/08/11/b...-em-pocket-pc/

    (Sorry, haven't been following the thread)

    -Jack

  3. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    >>This may solve the no-firefox-and-mplayer-for-plan9 problem, but I
    >>don't see how it solves the no-plan9-drivers-for-my-laptop one.

    well no: they must be written, but they are much easier than writing a browser,
    even one as annoying as firefox.

    when googling and fetching papers or software (my usual
    use of the web), i typically get by with charon and hget. for fancy stuff
    i more often than not now manage with firefox, but i still find a few things that
    demand windows. in either case, it's either displacement activity
    (ie, time wasting) or costly (buying on the internet).
    having to reboot to get these things has the advantage
    that, like undertaking a long journey, i ask myself ``is my journey really necessary?''.
    no, more often than not, so i get back to writing software.

  4. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    On 12/12/06, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > ... buying on the internet).
    > having to reboot to get these things has the advantage
    > that, like undertaking a long journey, i ask myself ``is my journey really necessary?''.
    > no, more often than not, so i get back to writing software.

    unless it's that present for your wife. Then, it might be life-saving.

    ron

  5. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    There's a bit of a long shot option.

    Java ME is now open source.
    http://community.java.net/mobileandembedded/

    So, in theory, it could be ported to plan9.

    Why would anyone do that ?

    Because the Opera Mini Web browser runs in Java ME environments.

    http://www.operamini.com/

    There's quite a bit of software written for J2ME

    There's also Opera for devices, which might be worth a better look at.

    http://www.opera.com/products/devices/

    I know it would be a horrible thing to swallow, but there may be
    something there.

    matt

  6. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    What does Java ME mean these days? Is it Java KVM, or Java CVM?
    Porting the first one to Plan9 is easy, I have the CVM code (sans
    graphics and hotspot) ported too. If it is released as open source
    and someone wants to finish the port, I can try to find what I have.

    Thanks,
    Lucho

    On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Matt wrote:

    > There's a bit of a long shot option.
    >
    > Java ME is now open source.
    > http://community.java.net/mobileandembedded/
    >
    > So, in theory, it could be ported to plan9.
    >
    > Why would anyone do that ?
    >
    > Because the Opera Mini Web browser runs in Java ME environments.
    >
    > http://www.operamini.com/
    >

    > There's quite a bit of software written for J2ME
    >

    > There's also Opera for devices, which might be worth a better look at.
    >
    > http://www.opera.com/products/devices/
    >

    > I know it would be a horrible thing to swallow, but there may be
    > something there.
    >
    > matt

  7. Re: quite Off Topic: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans]extending xen to allow

    On 12/12/06, Georg Lehner wrote:

    > Though: Do you feel like re-implement Plan9 in machine Forth?

    I think I'd rather pull my own fingernails out.

    ron

  8. Re: quite Off Topic: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans]extending xen to allow

    > On 12/12/06, Georg Lehner wrote:
    >
    > > Though: Do you feel like re-implement Plan9 in machine Forth?

    > I think I'd rather pull my own fingernails out.

    with a rusty pliers.

    Russ

  9. Re: quite Off Topic: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans]extending xen to allow

    > > > Though: Do you feel like re-implement Plan9 in machine Forth?
    > >
    > > I think I'd rather pull my own fingernails out.

    > with a rusty pliers.

    Use a mouse (this is 9fans afterall).

  10. Re: Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow

    Mobile and Embedded stuff I think. I wrote some stuff in it back in October.

    I got tired of losing at Wordster at local bars so I wrote an
    application in it for my cell phone to contact my Mac at home and find
    all the combinations of 8,7,6,5,4, and 3 letter words from the random
    8 letters Wordster gives out.

    It's pretty easy to write quick apps like that. I'd much rather have
    a phone that could talk 9p though as it stands I had to do a few
    tricks to make my phone think the program on my mac was an http server
    :-)

    Java's naming is very marketingriffic.

    Dave

    On 12/13/06, Latchesar Ionkov wrote:
    > What does Java ME mean these days? Is it Java KVM, or Java CVM?
    > Porting the first one to Plan9 is easy, I have the CVM code (sans
    > graphics and hotspot) ported too. If it is released as open source
    > and someone wants to finish the port, I can try to find what I have.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lucho
    >
    > On Dec 13, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Matt wrote:
    >
    > > There's a bit of a long shot option.
    > >
    > > Java ME is now open source.
    > > http://community.java.net/mobileandembedded/
    > >
    > > So, in theory, it could be ported to plan9.
    > >
    > > Why would anyone do that ?
    > >
    > > Because the Opera Mini Web browser runs in Java ME environments.
    > >
    > > http://www.operamini.com/
    > >

    > > There's quite a bit of software written for J2ME
    > >

    > > There's also Opera for devices, which might be worth a better look at.
    > >
    > > http://www.opera.com/products/devices/
    > >

    > > I know it would be a horrible thing to swallow, but there may be
    > > something there.
    > >
    > > matt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2