[9fans] request: native graphics on OS X - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] request: native graphics on OS X - Plan9 ; If there is someone out there who has a Mac and some spare cycles, please Please PLEASE look into writing a Carbon-based (not X11-based) back end for drawterm or for Plan 9 ports (if you do one, I'll do the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. [9fans] request: native graphics on OS X

    If there is someone out there who has a Mac and some spare cycles,
    please Please PLEASE look into writing a Carbon-based (not X11-based)
    back end for drawterm or for Plan 9 ports (if you do one, I'll do the other!).

    The only hard part is finding out how to interface with Carbon from C.
    The demands that Plan 9 graphics make on the underlying system
    are really very minimal, the X implementation notwithstanding.
    As a simple example take a look at the win32 code in drawterm,
    which is only 646 lines to deal with mouse, keyboard, and graphics window.
    http://cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu/cvs/dr...c?annotate=1.4
    Ron's mention of a /dev/fb-based draw setup is similar proof.

    If you know of good documentation but don't have time, please post any
    links to docs that might help someone else.

    Thanks.
    Russ

  2. [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    Paul Lalonde points out http://www.mactech.com/macintosh-c/online.html

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  4. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    > Ok, my guilt is getting me to spend a couple of hours on this this
    > afternoon.
    > I'm assuming I just need to reimplement src/cmd/devdraw?

    I didn't mean to guilt anyone into action.
    Working on either src/cmd/devdraw or a new
    drawterm/gui-mac directory would be fine.

    You should look at the drawterm/gui-win32
    directory either way, since it shows how
    much simpler the hook code can be if you're
    not trying to make remote network graphics
    work well.

    Russ

  5. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  6. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    Any update here?

    On 12/10/06, Paul Lalonde wrote:

  8. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    > Any update here?

    Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.

    If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
    you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'. Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
    will now build the native Carbon version.

    There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
    In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
    uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
    on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.

    The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
    an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
    a Mac right now). Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.

    Russ

  9. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  10. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    is there a binary anywhere?

    >> Any update here?

    > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    > I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.
    >
    > If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
    > you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'. Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
    > will now build the native Carbon version.
    >
    > There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
    > In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
    > uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
    > on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.
    >
    > The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
    > an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
    > a Mac right now). Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.
    >
    > Russ

  11. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    i just compiled one on an intel powerbook, i can send that to russ or
    to you if you need it.

    On 1/9/07, Brantley Coile wrote:
    > is there a binary anywhere?
    >
    > >> Any update here?

    > > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    > > I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    > > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.
    > >
    > > If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
    > > you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'. Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
    > > will now build the native Carbon version.
    > >
    > > There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
    > > In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
    > > uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
    > > on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.
    > >
    > > The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
    > > an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
    > > a Mac right now). Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.
    > >
    > > Russ

  12. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    err, make that an intel macbook.

  13. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    Send me a copy.

    > i just compiled one on an intel powerbook, i can send that to russ or
    > to you if you need it.
    >
    > On 1/9/07, Brantley Coile wrote:
    >> is there a binary anywhere?

    >> > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    >> > I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    >> > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.
    >> >
    >> > If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
    >> > you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'. Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
    >> > will now build the native Carbon version.
    >> >
    >> > There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
    >> > In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
    >> > uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
    >> > on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.
    >> >
    >> > The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
    >> > an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
    >> > a Mac right now). Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.
    >> >
    >> > Russ

  14. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  15. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    > err, make that an intel macbook.

    works for me. I've a Core Solo MacMini.

  16. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

  17. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    On 1/9/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-intel.gz
    > http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-power.gz
    >
    > both include the locking fix Paul was talking about.

    I'm having 0 luck with 9grid.net. Not sure whom to tell.

  18. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    me. fossil is hung after i put the binaries on and people started
    downloading them. it'll reboot tomorrow morning

    On 1/9/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > On 1/9/07, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-intel.gz
    > > http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-power.gz
    > >
    > > both include the locking fix Paul was talking about.
    > >

    > I'm having 0 luck with 9grid.net. Not sure whom to tell.

  19. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    > I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.

    nice! thanks. compiled right out of the box on a dual g4 box (10.4.8)
    so far it is good enough to send messages to 9fans!

  20. Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X

    On 1/10/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
    > > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
    > > I have just checked it into the CVS repository. The tarball at
    > > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.

    > nice! thanks. compiled right out of the box on a dual g4 box (10.4.8)
    > so far it is good enough to send messages to 9fans!

    Hmm I got a binary from andrey and when I run it on my iMac it just
    hangs when trying to connect to mordor. Can't enter anything to
    authenticate.

    Actually that happens if I just launch it in general it seems too.
    This wasn't the case on my macbook though.... odd.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast