in a similar vein, why does one need tcp to connect venti
server and client. i tried connecting fossil to venti via il!127.1!venti.
fossil started complaining that the venti server wasn't there in just
a few minutes.

the venti manual page says
A Venti server is accessed via an undocumented network pro-
tocol. [...]
but what are the requrirements on the network connection between
venti client and server? naïvely, one would guess the lack of flow
control could be the problem. but naïvely one would also guess that
the undocumented protocol, like 9p, is a ping-pong protocol that
doesn't need flow control.

what am i missing?

- erik

Lucio De Re writes