Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9 - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9 - Plan9 ; On Wed Dec 6 16:29:07 EST 2006, jorge-plan9@magma.com.ni wrote: > The Hurd can be run as a user space process inside The Hurd. Made > feasable because of its multi-server nature: the Kernel almost does > not do I/O. Thus ...

  1. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    On Wed Dec 6 16:29:07 EST 2006, jorge-plan9@magma.com.ni wrote:
    > The Hurd can be run as a user space process inside The Hurd. Made
    > feasable because of its multi-server nature: the Kernel almost does
    > not do I/O. Thus The Hurd allegedly can be debugged and developed
    > more easily.

    if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?

    - erik

  2. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    On 12/6/06, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > On Wed Dec 6 16:29:07 EST 2006, jorge-plan9@magma.com.ni wrote:
    > > The Hurd can be run as a user space process inside The Hurd. Made
    > > feasable because of its multi-server nature: the Kernel almost does
    > > not do I/O. Thus The Hurd allegedly can be debugged and developed
    > > more easily.

    > if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?
    >
    > - erik

    Because RMS is in charge?

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  3. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    On Wed Dec 6 17:27:37 EST 2006, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
    > > if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?
    > >
    > > - erik
    > >

    > Because RMS is in charge?

    funny, nether gcc nor emacs took that long. so it's not an
    inherent property of stallman's direction. so it must be
    something else ... like maybe the design, or lack there of?

    - erik

  4. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    How about two teams that are going in different directions & never
    getting anything done?
    They didn't even finsh HURD/Mach, now they're looking into HURD/L4. I
    like L4 for alot of things, but they didn't even finish the first one
    really...

    --
    If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
    principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come

    -- GŁnter Grass

  5. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    On 12/6/06, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > On Wed Dec 6 17:27:37 EST 2006, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?
    > > >
    > > > - erik
    > > >

    > > Because RMS is in charge?

    > funny, nether gcc nor emacs took that long. so it's not an
    > inherent property of stallman's direction. so it must be
    > something else ... like maybe the design, or lack there of?
    >
    > - erik

    I think when Stallman did gcc and emacs, he wasn't so much in the
    current state. Isn't emacs currently stalled, anyway, as he demands
    that they fix /every/ bug in it? It's a very worthy goal, but the way
    it sounds, he's doing it in a way that will make the next emacs
    release years in the future.

    I pretty much just consider him a few noodles short of a bowl and
    ignore the man. ;-)

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  6. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    [quote]
    I think when Stallman did gcc and emacs, he wasn't so much in the
    current state. Isn't emacs currently stalled, anyway, as he demands
    that they fix /every/ bug in it? It's a very worthy goal, but the way
    it sounds, he's doing it in a way that will make the next emacs
    release years in the future.
    This is the same emacs that lost the leading '1' from it's version number
    since it would never see the version '2' light of day... ;-)

    --
    If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
    principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come
    to coincide: an age without conflict will dawn, perpetually busy --
    and without consciousness.

    -- GŁnter Grass

  7. Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allowdriver development in Plan 9

    On 12/6/06, LiteStar numnums wrote:
    > [quote]
    > I think when Stallman did gcc and emacs, he wasn't so much in the
    > current state. Isn't emacs currently stalled, anyway, as he demands
    > that they fix /every/ bug in it? It's a very worthy goal, but the way
    > it sounds, he's doing it in a way that will make the next emacs
    > release years in the future.
    > This is the same emacs that lost the leading '1' from it's version number
    > since it would never see the version '2' light of day... ;-)

    I think perhaps the time is approaching to make the switch to xemacs.
    I've been wanting to get away from RMS's wacko crap for a while now
    ;-)

    John "Talks About Emacs on a Plan 9 List" Floren
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

+ Reply to Thread