[9fans] Newbie question - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Newbie question - Plan9 ; Hello! I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9. But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. [9fans] Newbie question

    Hello!

    I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some
    time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.

    But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid one.
    Is it posible to run Plan9 without the gui? I don't like this "mouseish" work style.

    Regards

  2. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    yes, you can, if you want :-)
    but Plan9's GUI is very nice.
    try it first, and then decide

    2006/12/5, Markus Sonderegger :

    > Hello!
    >
    > I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some
    > time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.
    >
    > But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid one.
    > Is it posible to run Plan9 without the gui? I don't like this "mouseish" work style.
    >

    > Regards

  3. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Yes. It's certainly possible. Try the gui, though. It's much less
    annoying than the typical gui. It takes a bit of adjustment, but things
    like sam and acme are very well thought out. You can try the plan9ports
    versions before you install.

    --
    John Stalker
    School of Mathematics

  4. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    i don't think it's possible to work without rio,
    as the console doesn't allow one to interrupt
    a task. so if you ever start something that
    hangs up, you've got to reboot to get a prompt
    back.

    of course you could
    a) modify the kernel to allow one to use DEL
    at the console.
    b) write something that suits your taste either
    within rio or to replace it.

    - erik

    On Tue Dec 5 06:41:20 EST 2006, lee.duhem@gmail.com wrote:
    > yes, you can, if you want :-)
    > but Plan9's GUI is very nice.
    > try it first, and then decide
    >
    > 2006/12/5, Markus Sonderegger :
    > >
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some
    > > time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.
    > >
    > > But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid one.
    > > Is it posible to run Plan9 without the gui? I don't like this "mouseish" work style.
    > >

    > > Regards

  5. Re: Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    On 12/5/06, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > of course you could
    > a) modify the kernel to allow one to use DEL
    > at the console.

    not that i think it's a good idea, but couldn't one "just" either add
    this to rc or insert an intermediate processor?

    again, certainly not advocating it (if you think you want to use the
    console, rio windows give you a decent approximation anyway), but that
    at least sounds incrementally less wrong than sticking it in the
    kernel.

  6. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Hello

    you should take in account that plan9 is not unix, the papers are a
    good read to know the reasons behind the plan9 way.

    gabi

    On 12/5/06, Markus Sonderegger wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I am a C programmer and I've been using UNIX-like operating systems for some
    > time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.
    >
    > But before I install Plan9 on my machine I've a questions. Maybe a stupid one.
    > Is it posible to run Plan9 without the gui? I don't like this "mouseish" work style.
    >

    > Regards

  7. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Hello!

    Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.

    What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.

    Sorry for my english.

    Regards

  8. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Hi Markus,

    I don't like the mouse too, but in Plan9 is different. You can use it to
    copy, paste, drag and drop, execute code, find, ... only in one click.
    Try it, I had the same problem and I "love" now my mouse (you need a
    three buttons mouse!).

    Tips:

    In a window:

    button 1, drag: select.
    button 1, drag, and button 2 (middle): cut
    button 1, drag, and button 3: paste
    button 1, drag, button 2, and button 3: copy :-)

    You can select/paste where you want. You can use it to change and
    erroneous command and re-exec it.

    In acme is more powerful yet!

    Try it ;-)

    Markus Sonderegger wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    > you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    > my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.
    >
    > What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    > of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.
    >
    > Sorry for my english.
    >
    > Regards

  9. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    On 12/6/06, Markus Sonderegger wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    > you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    > my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.
    >
    > What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    > of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.
    >
    > Sorry for my english.
    >
    > Regards

    Markus, I'm no fan of the mouse either, as other mailing list members
    could tell you, but like Rodolfo, I find Plan 9's mouse use better
    than that of any other OS I've used.

    The system *is* pretty slick, and when I'm doing some stuff, I'm
    really glad it's the way it is. Of course, I still want keyboard
    shortcuts (so does everybody else, they just don't know it yet), but
    as I said, it's pretty good the way it is.

    Like I've said before, if only I had one of those chording keyboard
    things from Xerox's Alto, I could rock with the mouse in one hand and
    the other hand on the keyboard.

    Looking forward to flames

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  10. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Hello!

    I don't like the mouse very much either. I use it for placing windows
    and have learned just the basics for working with rio windows and
    acme until now.

    with "vt" you can put a rio terminal into "vt100" mode, and "ape/psh"
    gives you a Korn Shell, however without emacs and vi editing modes.

    Maybe you can get these modes back into psh and feel at home then.

    Markus Sonderegger writes:

    > Hello!
    >
    > Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    > you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    > my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.
    >
    > What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    > of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.

    The kernel has a minimal console. It lacks an interrupt key for job
    control. rio uses the Del key for job control. I think it is better
    to let a userspace application do job control, and not to code
    functionality for an interrupt key into the kernel.

    If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    functionality.

    Jorge-Len

  11. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    > functionality.

    if you want an application to take the whole screen permanently you
    can start that program instead of rio. you won't be able to "manage"
    it at all and it'll always take the entire screen, but if you want a
    bare console so much you can have it

  12. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Someone could also port Ratpoison =)

    On 12/7/06, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    > > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    > > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    > > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    > > functionality.

    > if you want an application to take the whole screen permanently you
    > can start that program instead of rio. you won't be able to "manage"
    > it at all and it'll always take the entire screen, but if you want a
    > bare console so much you can have it

    --
    If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
    principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come

    -- Gnter Grass

  13. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    > > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    > > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    > > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    > > functionality.

    surely it should emulate a 3270?

  14. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > surely it should emulate a 3270?

    I did rescue a real adm3a from a skip at colledge, one
    with a graphics board too. I left it at a friends
    house whilst I was out of the country one summer and
    he put a goldfish bowl in it.

    Looked pretty snazzy.

    -Steve

  15. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    >> > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    >> > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    >> > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    >> > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    >> > functionality.

    > surely it should emulate a 3270?

    Only if it could make that funny clicking noise when
    you're not allowed to push the send key.

  16. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    On 12/8/06, Brantley Coile wrote:

    > > surely it should emulate a 3270?

    > Only if it could make that funny clicking noise when
    > you're not allowed to push the send key.

    If you really just want terminals, just fire up Acme and run a win in
    each Acme window. No mouse needed for the most part, and you could
    probably add keyboard nav if you want. I use acme this way on console
    all the time -- it's nice.

    ron

  17. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > Hello!
    >
    > I don't like the mouse very much either. I use it for placing windows
    > and have learned just the basics for working with rio windows and
    > acme until now.
    >
    > with "vt" you can put a rio terminal into "vt100" mode, and "ape/psh"
    > gives you a Korn Shell, however without emacs and vi editing modes.
    >
    > Maybe you can get these modes back into psh and feel at home then.

    Or you just learn the idea behind it all. This 'oh my gawd I must touch a mouse!?!?!?'-drama constantly occuring in the so-called unix-community is at least funny, but can quickly become annoying.

    > Markus Sonderegger writes:
    >
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    >> you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    >> my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.
    >>
    >> What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    >> of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.

    > The kernel has a minimal console. It lacks an interrupt key for job
    > control. rio uses the Del key for job control. I think it is better
    > to let a userspace application do job control, and not to code
    > functionality for an interrupt key into the kernel.
    >
    > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    > functionality.
    >

    > Jorge-León

  18. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    On 10:17 Sat 09 Dec , sretzki@gmx.de wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > I don't like the mouse very much either. I use it for placing windows
    > > and have learned just the basics for working with rio windows and
    > > acme until now.
    > >
    > > with "vt" you can put a rio terminal into "vt100" mode, and "ape/psh"
    > > gives you a Korn Shell, however without emacs and vi editing modes.
    > >
    > > Maybe you can get these modes back into psh and feel at home then.
    > >

    > Or you just learn the idea behind it all. This 'oh my gawd I must touch a mouse!?!?!?'-drama constantly occuring in the so-called unix-community is at least funny, but can quickly become annoying.

    I've uesd rio some days now and it's absolut the best gui out there.
    Well thouht out und straight forward.
    For me it's no drame to touch the mouse. My question was if it's
    possible to use plan9 without rio, like other unixes.

    > > Markus Sonderegger writes:
    > >
    > >> Hello!
    > >>
    > >> Thank your for your answers. I've installed Plan9 and tryed rio and
    > >> you're right it's much better than other guis. But it absolut not suits
    > >> my workstyle. Normaly I doesen't use the mouse.
    > >>
    > >> What's the idea behind the desicion to have no console? I've read most
    > >> of the documention papgers but can't figure it out.

    > > The kernel has a minimal console. It lacks an interrupt key for job
    > > control. rio uses the Del key for job control. I think it is better
    > > to let a userspace application do job control, and not to code
    > > functionality for an interrupt key into the kernel.
    > >
    > > If I remember correctly, the vt220 terminals had a mode for switching
    > > sessions, similar to the virtual consoles in Linux. With some
    > > programming effort it may be possible to open one single maximized
    > > window at startup in rio, with a vt220 emulation and a similar
    > > functionality.
    > >

    > > Jorge-Le??n

  19. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    My $0.02.

    When I began using Plan 9, rio, and acme, I forced myself to use it
    because I had the sense that it was an elegant system and that, if I
    ever came to understand it, especially per process namespaces, I could
    do some really clever stuff. In the early stages I would have said
    that you use Plan 9 despite the user interface, not because of it.
    Well, now I can't stand to use anything else. I have a mac just for
    the cases when I need a “full-featured” browser and drawterm to my
    Plan 9 setup the rest of the time.

    Perhaps giving it a few weeks is the way to go.

    Greg

    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I don't like the mouse very much either. I use it for placing windows
    >> and have learned just the basics for working with rio windows and
    >> acme until now.
    >>
    >> with "vt" you can put a rio terminal into "vt100" mode, and "ape/psh"
    >> gives you a Korn Shell, however without emacs and vi editing modes.
    >>
    >> Maybe you can get these modes back into psh and feel at home then.
    >>

    > Or you just learn the idea behind it all. This 'oh my gawd I must touch a mouse!?!?!?'-drama constantly occuring in the so-called unix-community is at least funny, but can quickly become annoying.

  20. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > My question was if it's possible to use plan9 without rio, like other
    > unixes.

    plan9 isn't unix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast