[9fans] Newbie question - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Newbie question - Plan9 ; > My $0.02. Great that the newbie that asked the original questin has now used and seen the advantage of Rio and the plan 9 interface. The comment about some so-called Unix community folks not wanting to touch the mouse ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    > My $0.02.

    Great that the newbie that asked the original questin has now used
    and seen the advantage of Rio and the plan 9 interface.

    The comment about some so-called Unix community folks not wanting to
    touch the mouse is certainly true, and I've been amazed at that. To
    show them that using the mouse is not anti-Unix, some history might be
    in order.

    Certainly the first use of the mouse on any system was Doug
    Engelbart's use at SRI in 1970. The mouse quickly scurried accross El
    Camino Real to Xerox PARC and was used in the Alto in 1973. The Unix
    folks at Bell Labs got a mouse in 1982 with the development of the
    Blit terminal developed by Rob Pike and Bart Locanthi. That design
    brought windows (or layers as they were called) and the mouse into a
    Unix system cleanly. The Blit turned into the DMD5620 and then the
    630 and 730. The Blit and its programs were key to the research that
    led to plan 9's interfaces. The gnot, a descendent of these
    terminals, was designed in 1989 to run plan 9 on the desk. It was the
    original thin client.

    The windowing systems at Bell Labs went from mpx to mux to 8½ to rio,
    with several systems in between, all from the originators of Unix at
    the place of origin of Unix. So, it seems to me that Rio has a claim
    to being a true Unix interface. More so than xterm and vi. I
    sometimes like to use ed(1) for nostalgic reasons, but I get things
    done faster in acme(1). I don't think xterm and emacs are Unix at
    all.

    I never did understand why xterm clears the screen when I `q' out of
    man. Maybe so I can develop a photographic memory and remember what
    was on the man page that I now have to type at the prompt.

  2. Re: [9fans] Newbie question

    Ufff, is very very interesing. Thanks for the "mouse history"

    slds.