[9fans] USB headphones - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] USB headphones - Plan9 ; I just purchased a set of USB headphones (Gigaware 43-122) to try on my laptop. When I run usb/usbaudio, I get the message: usb/usbaudio: Can't configure record for 44100 or 48000 Hz Does this mean the device isn’t supported? The ...

  1. [9fans] USB headphones

    I just purchased a set of USB headphones (Gigaware 43-122) to try on
    my laptop. When I run usb/usbaudio, I get the message:
    usb/usbaudio: Can't configure record for 44100 or 48000 Hz
    Does this mean the device isn’t supported? The list of supported
    devices in usb(4) doesn’t seem to include any headphones; has anyone
    had any luck with a (hopefully not too expensive) set? How much
    hackery is required to get an arbitrary (supposedly “USB Certified”)
    headset to work with Plan 9?

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    Can you try the version of usbaudio in /n/sources/contrib/miller
    and see if that helps?

  3. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    > Can you try the version of usbaudio in /n/sources/contrib/miller and
    > see if that helps?

    term% usb/usbaudio -V
    Audio output unit 1
    Device can record from
    Audio input unit 7
    Device can play to USB Streaming
    Audio Selector Unit 8
    Audio Feature Unit 9, not known what for
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on channel 1
    volume control on channel 2
    Audio Feature Unit 10 for Record
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on master channel
    agc control on master channel
    Audio Feature Unit 13 for Record
    Second feature unit (10, 13) on record
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on master channel
    Audio Mixer Unit 15
    Interface 1, alt 1: stereo, 16 bits, discrete frequencies are: 48000 44100
    Interface 2, alt 1: mono, 16 bits, discrete frequencies are: 48000 44100
    Playback on endpoint 1
    Record on endpoint 2
    Buttons on endpoint 3
    usb/usbaudio: Can't configure record for 44100 or 48000 Hz

    On the other hand...

    term% /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio -V
    Audio output unit 1
    Device can record from Microphone
    Audio input unit 7
    Device can play to USB Streaming
    Audio Selector Unit 8
    Audio Feature Unit 9, not known what for
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on channel 1
    volume control on channel 2
    Audio Feature Unit 10 for Record
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on master channel
    agc control on master channel
    Audio Feature Unit 13 for Record
    Second feature unit (10, 13) on record
    mute control on master channel
    volume control on master channel
    Audio Mixer Unit 15
    Mixer 15 for output AND input
    Interface 1, alt 1: stereo, 16 bits, discrete frequencies are: 48000 44100
    Interface 2, alt 1: mono, 16 bits, discrete frequencies are: 48000 44100
    Playback on endpoint 1
    Record on endpoint 2
    Buttons on endpoint 3
    Setting default play parameters: 44100 Hz, 2 channels at 16 bits
    Setting default record parameters: 44100 Hz, 2 channels at 16 bits
    /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio: Can't configure record for 44100 or 48000 Hz

    Slightly different debugging info—the version on sources recognizes a
    bit more about the headphones—but neither works.

    Any clues or tips?

    --Joel

  4. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    > Any clues or tips?

    My theory is that your headpones have a mono-only microphone, and
    usbaudio insists on configuring stereo input. I've made another
    change to /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio which
    might help.

  5. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    > > Any clues or tips?
    >
    > My theory is that your headpones have a mono-only microphone,

    Sounds right.

    > and usbaudio insists on configuring stereo input. I've made another
    > change to /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio which
    > might help.

    I'll try that one next chance I get; thanks.

    --Joel

  6. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    > My theory is that your headpones have a mono-only microphone,

    That turned out to be exactly right.

    > and usbaudio insists on configuring stereo input. I've made another
    > change to /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio which
    > might help.

    term% /n/sources/contrib/miller/usb/audio/usbaudio
    Warning, can't configure stereo recording, configuring mono instead
    ....but now I have audio!
    term% cdfs
    term% cat /mnt/cd/a000 > /dev/audio
    and I’m listening to Sibelius. Thanks, Richard.

    Any reason this version of usbaudio isn’t the official one?

    Now to get juke(7)—or something reasonable—working nicely⋯

    --Joel

  7. Re: [9fans] USB headphones

    > and I’m listening to Sibelius. Thanks, Richard.

    Great. Have you checked whether input works too?

    > Any reason this version of usbaudio isn’t the official one?

    I was just waiting for feedback in case my changes had broken
    any devices which worked before. I'll submit it as a patch now.

    -- Richard

+ Reply to Thread