Re: [9fans] termrc changes - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] termrc changes - Plan9 ; On 11/28/06, Lucio De Re wrote: > > The new termrc avoids using test when looking for swap partitions. > > I tend to like to slip a "sort -nr" into the fry, it allows me to pick > the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Re: [9fans] termrc changes

  1. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    On 11/28/06, Lucio De Re wrote:
    > > The new termrc avoids using test when looking for swap partitions.

    >
    > I tend to like to slip a "sort -nr" into the fry, it allows me to pick
    > the largest swap partition when I have multiple disks. Not
    > necessarily what everyone may want, of course:


    The more of this type of thing you add the harder it is on those of us
    with tiny flash boot setups.

    sort, sed, awk?

    ack!

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    > The more of this type of thing you add the harder it is on those of us
    > with tiny flash boot setups.
    >
    > sort, sed, awk?
    >
    > ack!


    Surely if you have a tiny flash boot setup
    you would just write your own stripped down termrc.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    On 11/29/06, Russ Cox wrote:

    > Surely if you have a tiny flash boot setup
    > you would just write your own stripped down termrc.



    I did :-)

    but at the same time, I still get worried when I see all that stuff in
    termrc. What's next: /etc/init.d?

    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    i just bought a 1Gbyte CF at fry's (not the cheepest place)
    for 19.99. get a bigger flash. ;-)

    - erik

    On Wed Nov 29 09:57:48 EST 2006, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 11/28/06, Lucio De Re wrote:
    > > > The new termrc avoids using test when looking for swap partitions.

    > >
    > > I tend to like to slip a "sort -nr" into the fry, it allows me to pick
    > > the largest swap partition when I have multiple disks. Not
    > > necessarily what everyone may want, of course:

    >
    > The more of this type of thing you add the harder it is on those of us
    > with tiny flash boot setups.
    >
    > sort, sed, awk?
    >
    > ack!
    >
    > ron


  5. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    On 11/29/06, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > i just bought a 1Gbyte CF at fry's (not the cheepest place)
    > for 19.99. get a bigger flash. ;-)


    Good point, but the parts I deal with are a bit smaller than that,
    around either 2MB or 8 MB.

    ron

  6. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    from my gentoo system

    # wc -l /etc/init.d/* | grep total
    10203 total

    (never mind the scripts and executables that support
    /etc/init.d).

    and from plan 9

    cpu% wc -l (/ /n/sources/plan9/)^rc/bin/termrc
    107 /rc/bin/termrc
    107 /n/sources/plan9/rc/bin/termrc
    214 total

    only two orders' magnitude difference. we've got to work
    on that. should be three.

    - erik

    On Wed Nov 29 11:52:43 EST 2006, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 11/29/06, Russ Cox wrote:
    >
    > > Surely if you have a tiny flash boot setup
    > > you would just write your own stripped down termrc.

    >
    >
    > I did :-)
    >
    > but at the same time, I still get worried when I see all that stuff in
    > termrc. What's next: /etc/init.d?
    >
    > ron


  7. Re: [9fans] termrc changes

    * erik quanstrom (quanstro@coraid.com) wrote:
    > only two orders' magnitude difference. we've got to work
    > on that. should be three.
    >
    > - erik


    I'm not sure we have to. It will be anyway before too long...

    Martin

+ Reply to Thread