[9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes) - Plan9 ; I haven't seen this, please excuse the re-post: From: lucio Date: Thu Nov 23 19:11:22 SAT 2006 To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu Subject: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes) > As a newbie i also found difficulty in installing ...

  1. [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    I haven't seen this, please excuse the re-post:

    From: lucio
    Date: Thu Nov 23 19:11:22 SAT 2006
    To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    Subject: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    > As a newbie i also found difficulty in installing inferno on plan9.
    > the inferno's install.pdf is not comprehensive enough ( like your
    > install notes)

    Let me grab my chance right here. I get:

    term% emu
    ; wm/wm
    attachwindow: cannot handle window depth specifier x8r8g8b8
    wmlib: can't allocate Display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: '/usr/inferno/dev/draw' file does not exist
    ;

    and I can't imagine where to start attacking this problem.
    Suggestions?

    ++L

  2. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    Installation of OzInferno is easier ... one file, no dumb install shield.
    But of course it doesn't exist. Ha ha ...

    brucee

    On 11/26/06, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
    > I haven't seen this, please excuse the re-post:
    >
    > From: lucio
    > Date: Thu Nov 23 19:11:22 SAT 2006
    > To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    > Subject: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)
    >
    > > As a newbie i also found difficulty in installing inferno on plan9.
    > > the inferno's install.pdf is not comprehensive enough ( like your
    > > install notes)

    > Let me grab my chance right here. I get:
    >
    > term% emu
    > ; wm/wm
    > attachwindow: cannot handle window depth specifier x8r8g8b8
    > wmlib: can't allocate Display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: '/usr/inferno/dev/draw' file does not exist
    > ;
    >
    > and I can't imagine where to start attacking this problem.
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > ++L

  3. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    sorry, i mis-read ... for Plan9 it's almost zero effort.

    cpu% emu
    Inferno Oz Beta [Cotopriz] main (pid=5116) interp
    Initialize Dis: #U/boot.dis
    stash$ ps
    1 1 brucee release 4K 0:00.0 Sh[$Sys]
    4 4 brucee alt 12K 0:00.0 Boot
    5 1 brucee release 3K 0:00.0 FsLib[$Sys]
    6 1 brucee recv 8K 0:00.0 SrvFS
    7 1 brucee release 3K 0:00.0 FsLib[$Sys]
    8 1 brucee recv 8K 0:00.0 SrvFS
    12 1 brucee release 3K 0:00.0 FsLib[$Sys]
    13 1 brucee recv 17K 0:00.0 MemFS
    14 1 brucee ready 2K 0:00.0 Ps[$Sys]
    stash$

    On 11/26/06, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > Installation of OzInferno is easier ... one file, no dumb install shield.
    > But of course it doesn't exist. Ha ha ...
    >
    > brucee
    >
    > On 11/26/06, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
    > > I haven't seen this, please excuse the re-post:
    > >
    > > From: lucio
    > > Date: Thu Nov 23 19:11:22 SAT 2006
    > > To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    > > Subject: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)
    > >
    > > > As a newbie i also found difficulty in installing inferno on plan9.
    > > > the inferno's install.pdf is not comprehensive enough ( like your
    > > > install notes)

    > > Let me grab my chance right here. I get:
    > >
    > > term% emu
    > > ; wm/wm
    > > attachwindow: cannot handle window depth specifier x8r8g8b8
    > > wmlib: can't allocate Display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: '/usr/inferno/dev/draw' file does not exist
    > > ;
    > >
    > > and I can't imagine where to start attacking this problem.
    > > Suggestions?
    > >
    > > ++L

  4. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    > Installation of OzInferno is easier ... one file, no dumb install shield.
    > But of course it doesn't exist. Ha ha ...

    Which marketing or legal department's people need to have their toes
    held to the fire to enable the release of OzInferno?

    --Joel

  5. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    hah

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  6. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    > Suggestions?

    Try using vgasize=...x16 or ...x24 instead of ...x32 in plan9.ini.

    Russ

  7. Re: [9fans] Inferno under Plan 9 (Was: My Plan9 setup notes)

    > term% emu
    > ; wm/wm
    > attachwindow: cannot handle window depth specifier x8r8g8b8
    > wmlib: can't allocate Display: initdisplay: /dev/draw/new: '/usr/inferno/dev/draw' file does not exist

    how old is it? i'm fairly sure that was an artifact of some ancient code
    that did little but get in the way, which i removed a little while ago

+ Reply to Thread