[9fans] Acme 2-1 chord behaves differently in external programs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Acme 2-1 chord behaves differently in external programs - Plan9 ; Is it intentional that the 2-1 chord behaves differently in external programs? For example, I have a guide file with "0,.d" in it. If I 2-1 on Edit in a "normal" text window in Acme, it does what I'd expect: ...

  1. [9fans] Acme 2-1 chord behaves differently in external programs

    Is it intentional that the 2-1 chord behaves differently in external
    programs? For example, I have a guide file with "0,.d" in it. If I
    2-1 on Edit in a "normal" text window in Acme, it does what I'd
    expect: delete from start of file to current selection. In win, for
    example, it does nothing.

    I'm not entirely sure I have the problem right here, since even
    replacing 'Edit' with 'echo' in the above scenario gives different
    behavior in "regular" windows vs. ones managed by external
    programs. They do still seem to function, though, and Edit
    works as expected if given the same argument normally.
    Anthony

  2. Re: [9fans] Acme 2-1 chord behaves differently in external programs

    > Date: Sun Apr 27 19:42:09 EDT 2008
    >
    > Is it intentional that the 2-1 chord behaves differently in external
    > programs? For example, I have a guide file with "0,.d" in it. If I
    > 2-1 on Edit in a "normal" text window in Acme, it does what I'd
    > expect: delete from start of file to current selection. In win, for
    > example, it does nothing.

    I don't know that I'd call it intentional, but I doubt there is an easy fix.
    Acme client programs read from the event file to learn about mouse
    clicks. The ones they don't want to handle they write back, causing
    acme to handle them instead. Unfortunately, the write back interface
    is a little narrower than the read interface, and giving the argument
    from another window is one of the things that the write back can't
    accomodate.

    > I'm not entirely sure I have the problem right here, since even
    > replacing 'Edit' with 'echo' in the above scenario gives different
    > behavior in "regular" windows vs. ones managed by external
    > programs. They do still seem to function, though, and Edit
    > works as expected if given the same argument normally.

    You don't say which external programs you are talking about,
    but in general each gets to assign meaning as it decides.
    I tried win and Mail. In win, echo with an external argument
    is like sending the text "echo argument" to the shell session,
    which is what I expected. In Mail, echo with an external argument
    runs the command echo, but without the argument. The difference
    is that win is handling the event itself, while Mail is bouncing it
    back to acme, losing the argument on the return trip.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread