[9fans] QEMU and Venti - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] QEMU and Venti - Plan9 ; Hello. Someone just told me the fault on why QEMU crashes every time I boot Plan 9 -- venti. With a fossil only system, everything worked without a hitch -- until that corrupt root entry fiasco which cost me a ...

  1. [9fans] QEMU and Venti

    Hello. Someone just told me the fault on why QEMU crashes every time I
    boot Plan 9 -- venti. With a fossil only system, everything worked
    without a hitch -- until that corrupt root entry fiasco which cost me
    a book I was writing, a troff preprocessor (eg, for graphing
    equations), my extensions to hoc(1), and other items. So I went to
    fossil+venti, suffered several crashes on Tiger but little else, then
    went to Leopard to find out that it always crashed. So I'll go back to
    fossil-only and be locked in prayer that it doesn't happen again. I
    have no knowledge of filesystem design so I can't help with venti. -
    Pietro

  2. Re: [9fans] QEMU and Venti

    On Apr 22, 2008, at 3:19 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > Hello. Someone just told me the fault on why QEMU crashes every time
    > I boot Plan 9 -- venti. With a fossil only system, everything worked
    > without a hitch -- until that corrupt

    On Leopard I've found that QEMU runs very slowly but crashes
    exceedingly reliably. So much so, that it wasn't worth my effort to
    get Plan 9 or anything else running on it for much time at all. With
    luck and a lot of trying, I did get VMware to work very reliably with
    Plan 9--I've got it running right now to look at all the nice details
    about grabrfc currently floating about.

    Note: for VMware it helps to set it up with pccpuf and modify the boot
    to not bring up rio. Keep the console running and use drawterm
    instead and it works like a charm.

    -jas

  3. Re: [9fans] QEMU and Venti

    > Hello. Someone just told me the fault on why QEMU crashes every time I
    > boot Plan 9 -- venti. With a fossil only system, everything worked
    > without a hitch -- until that corrupt root entry fiasco which cost me
    > a book I was writing, a troff preprocessor (eg, for graphing
    > equations), my extensions to hoc(1), and other items. So I went to
    > fossil+venti, suffered several crashes on Tiger but little else, then
    > went to Leopard to find out that it always crashed. So I'll go back to
    > fossil-only and be locked in prayer that it doesn't happen again.

    Prayer is one option; backups are a better one.

    Normally I'm quite sympathetic to stories about losing files,
    but ultimately, you have to take responsibility for your own
    actions. You chose to trust the only copy of your important
    files to a single disk, without backups. Further, you picked
    a system that you had little to no experience using and no
    reason to believe would run reliably. You made a giant chain
    of possible single points of failure -- fossil, venti, QEMU, OS X,
    your disk -- and assumed that none of them would fail.
    But one did. Losing data always sucks, but you set yourself
    up for it.

    Fossil and venti have had their share of bugs, and if I thought
    you had run into one, I would be working hard to find and fix it.
    But right now, all evidence points to QEMU or hardware errors.

    It is entirely believable that QEMU does crash when running
    venti -- I've crashed it doing many things -- but that doesn't
    imply that venti is broken. It implies that QEMU is broken.
    If you want to run Plan 9 reliably, find a way to do it on a more
    reliable set up, one that doesn't include QEMU.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread