[9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac - Plan9 ; Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting in QEMU, which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I boot, I decided to try to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have a ...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting in
    QEMU, which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I boot, I
    decided to try to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have a December
    2006 iMac with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. When I boot the iMac from the
    latest Plan 9 disc, here's what I get.

    PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    ELCR... 0C00

    and everything comes to a halt. This is what I got back on Tiger when
    I first joined 9fans. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting in QEMU,
    > which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I boot, I decided to try
    > to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have a December 2006 iMac with a
    > 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. When I boot the iMac from the latest Plan 9 disc,
    > here's what I get.
    >
    > PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    > ELCR... 0C00
    >
    > and everything comes to a halt. This is what I got back on Tiger when I
    > first joined 9fans. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

    when tired of waiting we have a friend here called /sys/src/9/pc

    iru

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    Pietro Gagliardi escribió:
    > Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting in
    > QEMU, which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I boot, I
    > decided to try to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have a December
    > 2006 iMac with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. When I boot the iMac from the
    > latest Plan 9 disc, here's what I get.
    >
    > PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    > ELCR... 0C00
    >
    > and everything comes to a halt. This is what I got back on Tiger when
    > I first joined 9fans. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

    Does 9load support EFI?

    A.

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Armando Camarero wrote:

    > Pietro Gagliardi escribió:
    >> Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting
    >> in QEMU, which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I
    >> boot, I decided to try to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have
    >> a December 2006 iMac with a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. When I boot the
    >> iMac from the latest Plan 9 disc, here's what I get.
    >>
    >> PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    >> ELCR... 0C00
    >>
    >> and everything comes to a halt. This is what I got back on Tiger
    >> when I first joined 9fans. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.
    >>

    > Does 9load support EFI?
    >
    > A.

    OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.

  5. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    > OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.

    this stuff gets worse and worse, doesn't it.

  6. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    The first OS I used a lot was MCP on a Borroughs B6700,
    which I'm sure some of you have heard of ...

    I thought that it's stack-based, tagged-memory hardware,
    self-paging, segmented, unprotected, cactus-stack OS
    which supported at least 3 character sets
    and a typed file system with hundreds of file types and attributes
    was convoluted and recondite.

    Now I'm not so sure.

    On 17 Apr 2008, at 00:05, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    >> OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.

    > this stuff gets worse and worse, doesn't it.

    I'm jumping off the top of Guy's Hospital
    to support the Myasthenia Gravis Association.

    Please support me!

    http://www.justgiving.com/davelukes-abseil

  7. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    >> OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.
    >
    > this stuff gets worse and worse, doesn't it.

    i suppose it does, if you think efi is better than bios.

    - erik

  8. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    >> Does 9load support EFI?
    >>
    >> A.
    >>

    > OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.

    You need to explicitly enable it, and even then it won't work quite
    right until you get a nice bootloader that chains (much like how GRUB
    does): refit is a good tool: http://refit.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Anant

  9. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    rEFIT fails me. Back to waiting.

    On Apr 17, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Anant Narayanan wrote:

    >>> Does 9load support EFI?
    >>>
    >>> A.
    >>>

    >> OS X EFI emulates a BIOS. That's how Boot Camp works.

    > You need to explicitly enable it, and even then it won't work quite
    > right until you get a nice bootloader that chains (much like how
    > GRUB does): refit is a good tool: http://refit.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > --
    > Anant

  10. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Thu Apr 17 17:19:06 EDT 2008, pietro10@mac.com wrote:
    > rEFIT fails me. Back to waiting.

    you know, you could get a pc.

    - erik

  11. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    I have one, but unfortunately, Broadcom hardware (remember when I
    first joined 9fans)?

    On Apr 17, 2008, at 5:22 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > On Thu Apr 17 17:19:06 EDT 2008, pietro10@mac.com wrote:
    >> rEFIT fails me. Back to waiting.

    > you know, you could get a pc.
    >
    > - erik

  12. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > rEFIT fails me. Back to waiting.

    send the mac to me. I will fix it as I fixed Gorka's mac.

    ron

  13. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    > I have one, but unfortunately, Broadcom hardware (remember when I
    > first joined 9fans)?
    >
    > On Apr 17, 2008, at 5:22 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu Apr 17 17:19:06 EDT 2008, pietro10@mac.com wrote:
    >>> rEFIT fails me. Back to waiting.

    >> you know, you could get a pc.
    >>
    >> - erik

    3com Etherlink PCI cards are a few dollars each. Find a sysadmin
    somewhere and he'll probably give you one if you're nice. I must
    have something like 5 of these laying around in different places,
    and I didn't have to pay for any of them.

    John

  14. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    > I have one, but unfortunately, Broadcom hardware (remember when I
    > first joined 9fans)?

    you can get a realtek 8139 for <$10 or 8169 nic for <$20. you can get
    a nice intel 82572 pcie card (assuming your pc has it) for $40. a nic
    shouldn't be an problem, unless you let it be.

    - erik

  15. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:34 PM, ron minnich wrote:

    > send the mac to me. I will fix it as I fixed Gorka's mac.

    You are always a blessing :-).

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  16. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    > > send the mac to me. I will fix it as I fixed Gorka's mac.
    > >

    > You are always a blessing :-).

    no macs were harmed in this activity of fixing?

    :-)

  17. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    I believe plan9 uns well under parallels.

    -Steve

  18. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On 2008-Apr-18, at 08:35 , Steve Simon wrote:
    > I believe plan9 uns well under parallels.

    "Flawlessly" would be a more accurate description.

  19. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    Looks like Apple's BIOS emulator doesn't emulate a standard keyboard.
    9load loops forever in i8042init waiting for "a quiescent controller".

    On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Hello. Tired of waiting for Q's developers to fix the bug resulting in QEMU,
    > which Q provides a wrapper for, freezing every time I boot, I decided to try
    > to run Plan 9 on native Mac hardware. I have a December 2006 iMac with a
    > 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. When I boot the iMac from the latest Plan 9 disc,
    > here's what I get.
    >
    > PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs
    > ELCR... 0C00
    >
    > and everything comes to a halt. This is what I got back on Tiger when I
    > first joined 9fans. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

  20. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 refuses to boot from iMac

    On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Latchesar Ionkov wrote:
    > Looks like Apple's BIOS emulator doesn't emulate a standard keyboard.
    > 9load loops forever in i8042init waiting for "a quiescent controller".

    EFI would have to support that via SMM. The bios emulator can't do it
    via SMM, since EFI already owns that. It's unlikely that the apple
    hardware requires ancient stuff like 8042 emulation.

    So you need to get rid of pc legacy IO I bet.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread