[9fans] FTQ benchmark available - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] FTQ benchmark available - Plan9 ; The Finite Time Quantum benchmark has been ported to Plan 9; just mk it and go. There is a python program included to analyze and plot the data which you should probably run on Linux. FTQ measures operating system "noise" ...

  1. [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    The Finite Time Quantum benchmark has been ported to Plan 9; just mk
    it and go. There is a python program included to analyze and plot the
    data which you should probably run on Linux. FTQ measures operating
    system "noise" by trying to do as much work as possible in fixed time
    sections; if the operating system is "noisy", less work will be done
    and you'll see spikes on the graph. The best way to understand this
    is to run the test and look at it.

    Tarball is at /n/sources/contrib/john/ftq.tgz

    Unlike the lmbench port, there are no restrictions on this
    benchmark--go ahead and share your results, compare them to Linux,
    etc.

    John

  2. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    how is that different from the Plan 9 port that is already provided
    with the ftq (chamatools) distribution from sourceforge?

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM, wrote:
    > The Finite Time Quantum benchmark has been ported to Plan 9; just mk
    > it and go. There is a python program included to analyze and plot the
    > data which you should probably run on Linux. FTQ measures operating
    > system "noise" by trying to do as much work as possible in fixed time
    > sections; if the operating system is "noisy", less work will be done
    > and you'll see spikes on the graph. The best way to understand this
    > is to run the test and look at it.
    >
    > Tarball is at /n/sources/contrib/john/ftq.tgz
    >
    > Unlike the lmbench port, there are no restrictions on this
    > benchmark--go ahead and share your results, compare them to Linux,
    > etc.
    >

    > John

  3. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    > how is that different from the Plan 9 port that is already provided
    > with the ftq (chamatools) distribution from sourceforge?

    I don't know; I didn't know of the existence of any such thing.
    Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
    so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.

    John

  4. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:28 AM, wrote:
    > > how is that different from the Plan 9 port that is already provided
    > > with the ftq (chamatools) distribution from sourceforge?
    > >

    > I don't know; I didn't know of the existence of any such thing.
    > Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
    > so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.

    yes, well, ron is forgetful sometimes.

    what can I say?

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    > Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
    > so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.

    i wonder if they'll give the same results!

  6. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > > Ron just handed me a tarball one day and said, "Thou Shalt Port This",
    > > so I did. I'll look at the one on sourceforge.

    > i wonder if they'll give the same results!

    actually, that's a good test. The worst part is that andrey has told
    me many times that the port was out there. I claim advanced brain cell
    death on my part

    ron

  7. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    > i wonder if they'll give the same results!

    yes, the results are very similar (it's not an exact number). top here
    is the original ftq, bottom is John's port:

    http://mirtchovski.com/screenshots/ftq.jpg

    btw, John, please add a "clean" option to the mkfile; also,
    exits("success") is wrong.

  8. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    >> i wonder if they'll give the same results!
    >
    > yes, the results are very similar (it's not an exact number). top here
    > is the original ftq, bottom is John's port:
    >
    > http://mirtchovski.com/screenshots/ftq.jpg
    >
    > btw, John, please add a "clean" option to the mkfile; also,
    > exits("success") is wrong.

    Ok, fixed that stuff and ran some tests of my own.
    My ftq: http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/my-ftq.png
    Original ftq: http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/other-ftq.png

    The FFTs look very different; I wonder which one is more correct?
    I ran these tests one after the other on our CPU/auth/file server,
    which had only one user (me) logged in over drawterm.

    John

  9. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    the only major difference would be between the respective
    "getticks()" and "cycles()" implementations, i think.

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM, wrote:

    > >> i wonder if they'll give the same results!

    > > yes, the results are very similar (it's not an exact number). top here
    > > is the original ftq, bottom is John's port:
    > >
    > > http://mirtchovski.com/screenshots/ftq.jpg
    > >
    > > btw, John, please add a "clean" option to the mkfile; also,
    > > exits("success") is wrong.

    > Ok, fixed that stuff and ran some tests of my own.
    > My ftq: http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/my-ftq.png
    > Original ftq: http://csplan9.rit.edu/users/john/other-ftq.png
    >
    > The FFTs look very different; I wonder which one is more correct?
    > I ran these tests one after the other on our CPU/auth/file server,
    > which had only one user (me) logged in over drawterm.
    >
    > John

  10. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:05 PM, andrey mirtchovski
    wrote:
    > > i wonder if they'll give the same results!

    > yes, the results are very similar (it's not an exact number). top here
    > is the original ftq, bottom is John's port:
    >
    > http://mirtchovski.com/screenshots/ftq.jpg
    >
    > btw, John, please add a "clean" option to the mkfile; also,
    > exits("success") is wrong.

    The two upticks on the top one usually mean trouble with the timer. I
    can't imagine why it is happening.

    measurement is hard. Let's go write drivers -- Malibu Barbie.

    ron

  11. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    > The two upticks on the top one usually mean trouble with the timer. I
    > can't imagine why it is happening.

    missyncronized tsc?

    - erik

  12. Re: [9fans] FTQ benchmark available

    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:15 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > The two upticks on the top one usually mean trouble with the timer. I
    > > can't imagine why it is happening.

    > missyncronized tsc?

    Good possibility, but without knowing what it was run on it's hard to
    say. Obviously, we have some work to do on plan 9. We should really
    check out #p, then fire up enough procs and wire them down.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread