[9fans] Plan 9 on a SunPCI card. - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan 9 on a SunPCI card. - Plan9 ; I would like to install Plan 9 on a SunPCI IIIpro card (1), currently located in a "old" Sun Blade 150 (2). This card has an Athlon XP 2200 (1600Mhz) and currently has 768MB of memory; it works in (almost) ...

  1. [9fans] Plan 9 on a SunPCI card.

    I would like to install Plan 9 on a SunPCI IIIpro card (1), currently
    located in a "old" Sun Blade 150 (2). This card has an Athlon XP 2200
    (1600Mhz) and currently has 768MB of memory; it works in (almost) any pci
    sparc v9 system running Solaris/OpenSolaris.

    Interestingly enough, this card can either use a harddrive image to boot
    (which is more or less a raw drive image located on the Solaris partition
    with a somewhat specific 1024 bytes header, which happens to be rather
    easy to forge) or a physical harddrive attached to its internal IDE
    connector (which is 44 pins, laptop sized).

    I haven't found a way to "boot" this card from a cdrom using the plan9
    cdrom (3), even when such cdrom is directly attached to this card (please
    note that Debian boots fine from there, when a plan9 cdrom is inserted I
    get the famous "Operating System not found", although I haven't spent a
    lot of time investigating this issue the fact that Debian boots seems not
    to indicate a hardware issue). It seems that the internal floppy slot is
    not working (by design) and this card can not network (pxe) boot (although
    it has a network port) directly (it can network boot thru grub when grub
    is compiled with --enable-diskless and support for the right network
    chipset, and finally placed on a diskimage, more on this later).

    I was able, however to generate a diskimage from a plan 9 raw disk
    image (4), 9load starts "normally", but can not find an attached
    harddrive (it however displays booting options to be fd0 and ether0):

    pcirouting: South bridge 1106, 3177 not found

    might be the issue. By looking at /sys/src/9/pc/pci.c it *seems* that
    making a disk image with:

    { 0x1106, 0x3177, viaget, viaset }, /* Viatech VT8235 */

    would tremendously help. Do you think the lack of a recognized South
    bridge would prevent 9load to find an attached harddrive, or would 9load
    use INT13 to do so?

    I have also tried to boot this card from network by using grub to do so,
    therefore I have generated a disk image with support for the Via Rhine II
    chipset (as present on the SunPCI IIIpro) built in into grub but
    unfortunately, after fetching 9load via tftp the card cycles almost
    immediately. Has anyone been able, or is currently using grub to boot
    9load, if so, would any extra parameters be required?

    Finally, assuming building 9load with support for the South bridge doesn't
    help, could anyone think about any other way to run plan 9 on the SunPCI?

    Sincerely,
    Jerome Ibanes