[9fans] DNS server domain - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] DNS server domain - Plan9 ; Moin, how do I set the "defaultdomain" an a Plan 9 DNS server? % ndb/dnsquery > cab !dns: resource does not exist > cab.mteege.de cab.mteege.de ip 10.18.47.11 Would be nice if I can get % ndb/dnsquery > cab cab ip ...

  1. [9fans] DNS server domain

    Moin,

    how do I set the "defaultdomain" an a Plan 9 DNS server?

    % ndb/dnsquery
    > cab

    !dns: resource does not exist
    > cab.mteege.de

    cab.mteege.de ip 10.18.47.11

    Would be nice if I can get

    % ndb/dnsquery
    > cab

    cab ip 10.18.47.11

    Many thanks
    Matthias

  2. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    > Moin,
    >
    > how do I set the "defaultdomain" an a Plan 9 DNS server?

    ndb(6) didn't clear everything up for me. then again, i haven't
    had any coffee yet.

    the dnsdomain attribute is well-documented. what i didn't see
    is the convention for where to hang it in the database.
    generally, i do this by setting ipnet in /lib/ndb/local. e.g.

    ipnet=athensnat ip=192.168.0.0 ipmask=/120
    fs=buda.quanstro.net
    ipgw=192.168.0.4
    dns=192.168.0.136
    dnsdomain=quanstro.net
    authdom=plan9.quanstro.net
    auth=ladd

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    > the dnsdomain attribute is well-documented. what i didn't see
    > is the convention for where to hang it in the database.
    > generally, i do this by setting ipnet in /lib/ndb/local. e.g.

    I put it in my ndb/local and it works for the Plan 9 server

    % ndb/dnsquery
    > cab

    cab.mteege.de ip 10.8.47.11

    But if I query the server from other clients on the same network I've
    got empty results. Is dnsdomain only usefull for "internal" querys?

    Matthias

  4. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    When I used my plan9 server as dns server, it was also my dhcp server, which is quite handy. it communicates some info to the dhcp clents, for example the default search domain, which, in my understanding does just what you want. It firsq querys the dns server for the domain, then tries to prefix it to the default search domain, and query that.
    worked for me :-)
    Cheers
    Johnny

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:54:55 +0100
    Matthias Teege wrote:

    > > the dnsdomain attribute is well-documented. what i didn't see
    > > is the convention for where to hang it in the database.
    > > generally, i do this by setting ipnet in /lib/ndb/local. e.g.

    > I put it in my ndb/local and it works for the Plan 9 server
    >
    > % ndb/dnsquery
    > > cab

    > cab.mteege.de ip 10.8.47.11
    >
    > But if I query the server from other clients on the same network I've
    > got empty results. Is dnsdomain only usefull for "internal" querys?
    >
    > Matthias

  5. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    > When I used my plan9 server as dns server, it was also my dhcp server,
    > which is quite handy. it communicates some info to the dhcp clents,

    Me too.

    > worked for me :-)

    It worked for me to. Looks like the dig command ignores the search domain
    in resolv.conf.

    ; dig cab +short
    ; nslookup cab
    Name: cab.mteege.de
    Address: 10.8.47.11

    Many thanks
    Matthias

  6. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    Ah great!
    add one to lunix quirks, shouldn't it be the system that resolves names? This is pretty weird :-)
    Cheers!
    Johnny

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:21:41 +0100
    Matthias Teege wrote:

    > > When I used my plan9 server as dns server, it was also my dhcp server,
    > > which is quite handy. it communicates some info to the dhcp clents,

    > Me too.
    >
    > > worked for me :-)

    > It worked for me to. Looks like the dig command ignores the search domain
    > in resolv.conf.
    >

    > ; dig cab +short
    > ; nslookup cab
    > ..
    > Name: cab.mteege.de
    > Address: 10.8.47.11
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Matthias

  7. Re: [9fans] DNS server domain

    every system that uses bind 9 has the same behavior. however bind's
    Old Standard, nslookup, does not ignore resolv.conf.

    - erik

    > Ah great!
    > add one to lunix quirks, shouldn't it be the system that resolves names? This is pretty weird :-)
    > Cheers!
    > Johnny

    [...]
    >> ; dig cab +short