[9fans] Does sam accepts interrupt signal - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Does sam accepts interrupt signal - Plan9 ; Hi, The UNIX standard editor ed, which also exists in Plan 9, accepts the interrupt signal. When it listens an interrupt signal, ed will print a `?' and returns to its command level. Frankly, it is a very convenient feature ...

  1. [9fans] Does sam accepts interrupt signal

    Hi,

    The UNIX standard editor ed, which also exists in Plan 9, accepts the
    interrupt signal. When it listens an interrupt signal, ed will print
    a `?' and returns to its command level. Frankly, it is a very
    convenient feature since the user could not loose himself, especially
    for a line editor. But it seems that sam does not handle the
    interrupt signal.

    I have encountered such a case several times: after operating for a
    long time when both mouse language and command language are used
    together, sam appears to forget the state (in fact it's I that forget
    it) and treat my input as plain text. In this case, no matter putting
    a single dot or completing with a `/' could not save me. As a result,
    I usually have to look backward in command window to see what exactly
    the last command is. Well, I know it may be my fault encountering
    such problems. But I think it could be simply solved if sam's
    operations could be asynchronously interrupted.

    So, is there a feature like this in sam, which I ignored? Or, is
    there any other better method to solve similar problems?

    Thanks :-)

    --
    HZ

  2. Re: [9fans] Does sam accepts interrupt signal

    it has been some time since i last used sam interactively,
    but your description
    sam appears to forget the state (in fact it's I that forget
    it) and treat my input as plain text. In this case, no matter putting
    a single dot or completing with a `/' could not save me. As a result,
    sounds as though you've ended up typing behind the point where sam
    is actually reading input (ie, in the transcript).
    try snarfing and sending a newline (or perhaps a .) to resynchronise.

  3. Re: [9fans] Does sam accepts interrupt signal

    OK, I see. It's helpful. Thank you~

    On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > it has been some time since i last used sam interactively,
    > but your description
    >
    > sam appears to forget the state (in fact it's I that forget
    > it) and treat my input as plain text. In this case, no matter putting
    > a single dot or completing with a `/' could not save me. As a result,
    > sounds as though you've ended up typing behind the point where sam
    > is actually reading input (ie, in the transcript).
    > try snarfing and sending a newline (or perhaps a .) to resynchronise.

    --
    HZ

+ Reply to Thread