[9fans] RFC: 9zine - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] RFC: 9zine - Plan9 ; Hi folks, I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es). Maybe anyone interested ? cu -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/ --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please visit the OpenSource QM ...

  1. [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    Hi folks,

    I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).

    Maybe anyone interested ?

    cu
    http://patches.metux.de/

  2. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    That sounds cool. The Bell Systems Technical Journal, but for Plan 9.
    Count me in.

    On Mar 26, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    > (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).
    >
    > Maybe anyone interested ?
    >

    > cu
    > --
    > Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
    > Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
    > http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
    > Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
    > http://patches.metux.de/

  3. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    > (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).
    >
    > Maybe anyone interested ?

    I would read it.

    --
    Tom Lieber
    http://AllTom.com/

  4. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:14:38PM -0400, Tom Lieber wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > > I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    > > (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).
    > > Maybe anyone interested ?

    > I would read it.

    Depends entirely on the format and content. It could be exactly the
    thing plan9 "needs" or it could be completely useless.

    Where would you get the content?

    --
    On the sixth day, God created the platypus.
    And God said: let's see the evolutionists try and figure this one out.

  5. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:14:38PM -0400, Tom Lieber wrote:
    >> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    >> > I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    >> > (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).
    >> > Maybe anyone interested ?

    >> I would read it.

    > Depends entirely on the format and content. It could be exactly the
    > thing plan9 "needs" or it could be completely useless.
    >
    > Where would you get the content?

    My concern with "ezines" is always that they don't have much to offer
    that you can't get through incremental updates to a blog. I like
    getting real magazines and newsletters because you have the
    anticipation of waiting and end up with a nice stack of the old stuff
    to proudly display in your basement. It's not a rational thing; I
    just think people prefer to have this kind of thing mailed, rather
    than downloading and printing it themselves.

    If said... magazine (I hate the word 'zine') is interesting enough,
    say, with new papers and editorials from people who actually know
    something about Plan 9, I'd print it out and read it. There are some
    really great things being done with Plan 9 by some really smart
    people; I won't put myself in that class but I could probably put out
    an article or two myself.

    If it turns out to be "Enrico and Pietro propose 10 new synthetic
    filesystems they'll never build", well, I can read that on 9fans and
    so will everyone else who doesn't have an adequate killfile.

    John

  6. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    * Harri Haataja wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 09:14:38PM -0400, Tom Lieber wrote:
    > > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > > > I'm currently planning an little ezine about Plan9 and related stuff
    > > > (incl. 9P+synthentic filesystems on other OS'es).
    > > > Maybe anyone interested ?

    > > I would read it.

    > Depends entirely on the format and content. It could be exactly the
    > thing plan9 "needs" or it could be completely useless.

    I, personally, don't want to focus on the Plan9 OS only, but also
    the concepts behind (especially synthentic filesystems + 9P) and
    implementations outside Plan9 itself (eg. 9P-enabled *nix apps,
    embedded controllers, etc, etc).

    > Where would you get the content?

    Write it by ourselves ? ;-P

    I'm planning to write some articles about my current works on
    GNU platforms (see my recent posts). Maybe someone else could
    contribute articles about native Plan9, p9p, Inferno, etc.

    cu

    cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666

  7. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    * john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

    > My concern with "ezines" is always that they don't have much to offer
    > that you can't get through incremental updates to a blog. I like
    > getting real magazines and newsletters because you have the
    > anticipation of waiting and end up with a nice stack of the old stuff
    > to proudly display in your basement. It's not a rational thing; I
    > just think people prefer to have this kind of thing mailed, rather
    > than downloading and printing it themselves.

    So you're talking about an paper magazine ?
    Interesting idea - already thought of this

    If articles are written in some suitable format (eg. TeX), we could
    at least parts of it automatically

    Well, I'm actually not an confident layouter/typesetter. I could hire
    an old friend (for a good price), but this first needs a budget.
    So we first should have to make clear, how "nice" the layout should
    be (eg. simplicistic scientific paper vs. typical hi-quality paper
    print like Linux-Mag ;-)), how many print exemplars and how much
    people are willing to pay.

    My idea was to start with an (simple) ezine and let it grow, print
    magazine would be the next step.

    > If said... magazine (I hate the word 'zine') is interesting enough,

    .... well, the word "9zine" would sound nice, IMHO ;-)

    > say, with new papers and editorials from people who actually know
    > something about Plan 9, I'd print it out and read it. There are some
    > really great things being done with Plan 9 by some really smart
    > people; I won't put myself in that class but I could probably put out
    > an article or two myself.

    If it's just an collection of papers, w/o much layout, it shouldn't
    be that hard job (eg. w/ TeX).

    > If it turns out to be "Enrico and Pietro propose 10 new synthetic
    > filesystems they'll never build", well, I can read that on 9fans and

    Hey, hey, I'm really building my suggested FS'es ... I just want to
    get more people into an open specification process before actually
    coding ;-O

    cu

    cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666

  8. Re: [9fans] RFC: 9zine

    On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:46:21AM -0400, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:
    > >> I would read it.

    > > Depends entirely on the format and content. It could be exactly the
    > > thing plan9 "needs" or it could be completely useless.

    > My concern with "ezines" is always that they don't have much to offer
    > that you can't get through incremental updates to a blog.

    So, 9planet?

    --
    If xawtv dumps core, you can fix this with "ulimit -c 0".

+ Reply to Thread