[9fans] Daylight savings time - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Daylight savings time - Plan9 ; Hello. How do you configure Plan 9 to support DST? I noticed that my clock is wrong just now. Thanks....

  1. [9fans] Daylight savings time

    Hello. How do you configure Plan 9 to support DST? I noticed that my
    clock is wrong just now. Thanks.

  2. Re: [9fans] Daylight savings time

    Copy the correct timezone file for your locale from /adm/timezone
    into /adm/timezone/local. Reboot.

  3. Re: [9fans] Daylight savings time

    > Hello. How do you configure Plan 9 to support DST? I noticed that my
    > clock is wrong just now. Thanks.

    dst is supported as long as your timezone is set correctly.
    echo $timezone|sed 1q
    should give you the skinny on yout timezone. the format is
    stdcode stdoffsetsec dstcode dstoffsetsec
    for example, for athens. ga or any other place on the us east
    cost, it should be
    EST -18000 EST EDT -14400
    which says that during standard time, the offset from GMT is
    -18000 seconds, or -5 hrs. the offset during daylight savings time
    is -4 hrs. the rest of the file is pairs of offsets bracketing the
    start and end of dst periods. thus the only constraint on dst
    periods is the offset from gmt can't change from period to period.

    if your timezone is not correct, make sure the timezone files are
    synced with sources and
    cp /adm/timezone/«yourtimezone» /adm/timezone/local
    ifs=() timezone=`{cat /adm/timezone/local}

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] Daylight savings time

    Thanks to both of you. I've been setting up virtual machines so many
    times that I forget these subtle things.

    On Mar 22, 2008, at 2:06 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    >> Hello. How do you configure Plan 9 to support DST? I noticed that my
    >> clock is wrong just now. Thanks.

    > dst is supported as long as your timezone is set correctly.
    > echo $timezone|sed 1q
    > should give you the skinny on yout timezone. the format is
    > stdcode stdoffsetsec dstcode dstoffsetsec
    > for example, for athens. ga or any other place on the us east
    > cost, it should be
    > EST -18000 EST EDT -14400
    > which says that during standard time, the offset from GMT is
    > -18000 seconds, or -5 hrs. the offset during daylight savings time
    > is -4 hrs. the rest of the file is pairs of offsets bracketing the
    > start and end of dst periods. thus the only constraint on dst
    > periods is the offset from gmt can't change from period to period.
    >
    > if your timezone is not correct, make sure the timezone files are
    > synced with sources and
    > cp /adm/timezone/«yourtimezone» /adm/timezone/local
    > ifs=() timezone=`{cat /adm/timezone/local}
    >
    > - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] Daylight savings time

    > Copy the correct timezone file for your locale from
    > /adm/timezone into /adm/timezone/local.

    Though if the file for your locale is updated from sources
    (e.g., the recent U.S. DST change), the copy called "local"
    won't change along with it. I noticed last summer that
    I was suffering from exactly that sequence of events.

    I've wondered for a while about the advisability of
    bind /adm/timezone/US_Eastern /adm/timezone/local
    in /lib/namespace.local.

    Dave Eckhardt

+ Reply to Thread