[9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions - Plan9 ; I've got a vmware instance that I use w/ the 9pccpuf kernel since drawterm connections work much more successfully than using vmware's gui drivers. Unfortunately, I also use 9pcf and log in as glenda in the terminal (installed that way, ...

  1. [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions

    I've got a vmware instance that I use w/ the 9pccpuf kernel since
    drawterm connections work much more successfully than using vmware's
    gui drivers. Unfortunately, I also use 9pcf and log in as glenda in
    the terminal (installed that way, migrated to the cpu kernel) so some
    of the file ownership is now 'glenda' from early pulls.

    As bootes, I can do:

    # /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull

    but typically get something like:

    error: copying /n/boot/sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c: '/tmp/replica00000651'
    permission denied

    but if I do the pull as glenda, I get:

    warning: cannot set uid on /n/boot/sys/src/boot/pc/pbsdebug.s
    warning: cannot set uid on /n/boot/386/bin/ip/wol

    The files get pulled, but the uid never gets set. Leaving things like

    cpu% ls -l *stat*
    --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys sys 85222 Jan 30 22:22 _netstat
    --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys sys 191135 Jan 30 13:58 _stats
    --rwxrwxr-x M 106 sys sys 98906 Jan 30 13:58 iostats
    --rwxrwxr-x M 106 glenda sys 86477 Feb 29 07:42 netstat
    --rwxrwxr-x M 106 glenda sys 191360 Mar 18 22:28 stats

    Also.. depending on which user starts the pull, I need to remember to
    kill/unmount /srv/replica so that the other user can succeed in a pull
    -- same goes for /srv/dos when trying to access `9fat:`

    So what would the recommended process be for keeping fossil
    filesystems replicated and properly keeping their uid/permissions set?

    thanks,

    -jas

  2. Re: [9fans] recommendations on cpu fossil permissions

    > I've got a vmware instance that I use w/ the 9pccpuf kernel since
    > drawterm connections work much more successfully than using vmware's
    > gui drivers. Unfortunately, I also use 9pcf and log in as glenda in
    > the terminal (installed that way, migrated to the cpu kernel) so some
    > of the file ownership is now 'glenda' from early pulls.

    i think you need to open your filsys with the -W flag. see fossilcons(8).
    this is akin to the fileserver's allow command and will allow the
    specified connection to do arbitrary wstat commands.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread