[9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs - Plan9 ; There's a new cdfs on sources that also knows how to read and write data tracks on DVDs and BDs (Blu-ray Discs, the makers claim); see cdfs(4) for details. I've tried to test all combinations of media (CD, DVD-, DVD+, ...

  1. [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    There's a new cdfs on sources that also knows how to read and write
    data tracks on DVDs and BDs (Blu-ray Discs, the makers claim); see
    cdfs(4) for details. I've tried to test all combinations of media
    (CD, DVD-, DVD+, BD) × (-ROM, -R, -RW) × (single-layer, dual-layer),
    which works out to 24 combinations, but may have missed some
    (definitely missed dual-density CDs). DVD-RAM is untested but might
    just work; the rewritable media are much less troublesome than the
    write-once media. HD DVD is untested; it might just work, but it's
    fading rapidly.

    I've tested PATA (IDE) and SATA burners, but not USB, which ought to
    work (slowly for now) via usbdisk, nor SCSI.

    If you haven't been paying attention to optical media lately,
    dual-layer BDs can hold 50GB, which is enough to be interesting for
    backups and archiving. There's no officially-sanctioned way (yet) to
    incrementally add tracks to a disc over a longish interval, but
    empirically it appears that just not removing the /mnt/cd/wd file
    until you've written the last track will allow dribbling tracks out to
    disc. 100 tracks, each containing a 512MB venti arena, should roughly
    fill a dual-layer BD. It's also possible that I'll implement packet
    (incremental) writing.

  2. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    > There's a new cdfs on sources that also knows how to read and write
    > data tracks on DVDs and BDs (Blu-ray Discs, the makers claim); see

    thanks, geoff.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    Great !

    2008/3/18, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com :

    --
    $B'3(B $B'5'S'Q'X'V'_'Z'V'^(B
    $B'('Z']'\'Z'_(B $B'3'V'b'T'V'[(B

  4. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    Hello,

    I've just tried cdfs and it did not go well.
    I've tried with 2 different cdrws and one dvdrw.

    With the cdrws, it seems I can blank and write to them, but the
    cd are not mountable afterwards. Both on Plan9 or Linux I get an "unknow
    format" error.
    With the dvdrw, I can't even blank, I get the following error:
    echo: write error: cmd #a1: cannot write medium - incompatible for mat
    I haven't tried with non-rewritable ones since obviously I did not want
    to waste them if it didn't work. But I can try if you think I'd have a
    better luck with those.

    No problem burning with this drive under Linux. I don't know what drive
    model that is, it came along with the T61.

    /sys/src/cmd/cdfs/main.c and /bin/cdfs are the ones from 13th of March.
    Any chance pulling the latest ones would give better results?

    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  5. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    I would pull the current cdfs (source, binary and manual page) and try
    again; there were fixes made up to and including March 25th.

    RW media has been working flawlessly for me, though I think that for
    BD-RE I had to format rather than blank the media first. Make sure
    you've run dmaon first. Which flavour of DVD RW are you using, plus
    or minus? DVD+ certainly worked for me, but I didn't have much DVD-
    media (since it's inferior). I've just written about 15 dual-layer
    BD-Rs and that's worked fine except that, as now noted in cdfs(4), you
    don't want to finalize BD-Rs if you write more than one track to a
    BD-R.

  6. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    > No problem burning with this drive under Linux. I don't know what drive
    > model that is, it came along with the T61.

    that information would be in the output of /dev/sd??/ctl

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    Ok, I've just pulled (I now have a /bin/cdfs from 26th of March) however
    I still get the same errors.

    I have tried with a CD-RW and a DVD+RW.

    cat /dev/sdC0/ctl gives me this:
    inquiry HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-U10N 1.05
    config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 dma 00550004 dmactl 00000000
    part data 0 2141

    ah and 'dmaon' had this displayed:
    "disabling dma: not on a busmastering controller"
    (I guess dmactl at 00000000 is in accordance with that?)

    Thanks,
    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  8. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    that error occurs when you try to do dma on a controller that says it
    doesn't do dma. this bit is found in pci space & loaded into
    pcidev->ccrp — pci programming interface class code. for ide-styled
    devices, this register is defined as
    busmaster | 1< or
    0x80 | 4 | 1 == 0x85

    the most likely cause of the problem is that this register is
    misprogrammed, but the dma area is actually there. so as always, the
    output of pci would be very helpful.

    the linux "ide" code that linux ignores this bit for intel
    controllers. i think the linux "ata" code ignores it too, but i could
    have missed something in 60k lines.

    - erik

    > Ok, I've just pulled (I now have a /bin/cdfs from 26th of March) however
    > I still get the same errors.
    >
    > I have tried with a CD-RW and a DVD+RW.
    >
    > cat /dev/sdC0/ctl gives me this:
    > inquiry HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-U10N 1.05
    > config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 dma 00550004 dmactl 00000000
    > part data 0 2141
    >
    > ah and 'dmaon' had this displayed:
    > "disabling dma: not on a busmastering controller"
    > (I guess dmactl at 00000000 is in accordance with that?)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mathieu.

  9. Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs

    Hello,

    After (a pull and) some more experimentation and with the help of Erik, there's
    been some progress but I still have some problems.

    1) It turns out that the "wrong format" issue was because of me being naive
    enough to assume that cdfs was doing all the magic of making an iso9660 fs
    out of the files one copies to /mnt/cd/wd. So copying a .iso file actually works
    fine for me with a CD-RW or a CD-R (Verbatim brand) so far. Dunno if it deserves
    maybe one line of warning about that in the manpage (maybe i missed it?)...

    2) I eventually tried a DVD+R; it also works, except that since dma is not
    enabled, it is painfully slow. I haven't timed it properly but I think
    it took around
    2 hours to burn a full 4.7GB debian iso.
    When I try to activate dma (either with dmaon command, or with
    "echo 'dma on' > /dev/sdC0/ctl") I get no message at first, but the
    next operation
    on the drive gets me a "disabling dma: not on a busmastering
    controller" message.
    Erik had me try a few changes in the sdiahci.c driver but to no avail so far.

    3) No success at all in burning DVD+RW's (also Verbatim brand). Whether it be
    for blanking or directly burning, I still get the following message:
    "cmd #1a: cannot write medium - incompatible format" (#1a when trying to
    quickblank, #2a when trying to cp).

    So any help for 2) and/or 3) are welcome.

    Thanks,
    Mathieu

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3

+ Reply to Thread