[9fans] LPL - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] LPL - Plan9 ; 9fans, in 2007's gsoc I started writing o9fs, a 9p-capable virtual filesystem for openbsd. first I used conv* and some other pieces from Plan 9; them I decided to rewrite based on libixp because of possible licensing problems between LPL ...

  1. [9fans] LPL

    9fans,

    in 2007's gsoc I started writing o9fs, a 9p-capable virtual filesystem
    for openbsd.
    first I used conv* and some other pieces from Plan 9; them I decided
    to rewrite based on libixp because of possible licensing problems
    between LPL code and openbsd's.
    now I've reread LPL and it got me thinking... can I relicense LPL code
    to, say, the ISC license?

    thanks,
    iru

    ps: o9fs license: http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/o9fs/file/47232d2ef4b7/LICENSE

  2. Re: [9fans] LPL

    > can I relicense LPL code to, say, the ISC license?

    No. Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
    because the ISC license does not contain all the same
    restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.

    However, the u9fs source is available under
    a license which is essentially equivalent to the
    ISC, and the OpenBSD guys would probably have
    no problem whatsoever with it. See
    /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs/LICENSE

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] LPL

    On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Russ Cox wrote:
    > > can I relicense LPL code to, say, the ISC license?

    > No. Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
    > because the ISC license does not contain all the same
    > restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.
    >
    > However, the u9fs source is available under
    > a license which is essentially equivalent to the
    > ISC, and the OpenBSD guys would probably have
    > no problem whatsoever with it. See
    > /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs/LICENSE

    good, the pieces I wanted more are in u9fs.
    thanks russ.

    iru

  4. Re: [9fans] LPL

    > No. Just like you can't relicense GPL'ed code to ISC,
    > because the ISC license does not contain all the same
    > restrictions that the LPL (or GPL) does.

    I'm sure I heard recently (on a NetBSD mailing list) that something
    *PL was re-released with a *BSD licence? Surely as the owner of the
    code, one can alter the terms and conditions as one pleases? I
    presume one cannot operate restrospectively, but even then, if one is
    lifting restrictions...

    ++L

  5. Re: [9fans] LPL

    > I'm sure I heard recently (on a NetBSD mailing list) that something
    > *PL was re-released with a *BSD licence? Surely as the owner of the
    > code, one can alter the terms and conditions as one pleases? I
    > presume one cannot operate restrospectively, but even then, if one is
    > lifting restrictions...

    The original poster was asking what he could do,
    and he's not the owner of the code in question.

    Russ

  6. Re: [9fans] LPL

    > The original poster was asking what he could do,
    > and he's not the owner of the code in question.

    Sorry, I missed the last point.

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread