[9fans] Porting XeTeX - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Porting XeTeX - Plan9 ; A question for Jonathan et al.: What is required of an operating system to port XeTeX to it successfully? A C compiler? C++? OS-level support for OpenType? Is porting freetype sufficient? A different library? I'm asking mainly because of Plan ...

  1. [9fans] Porting XeTeX

    A question for Jonathan et al.: What is required of an operating
    system to port XeTeX to it successfully? A C compiler? C++?
    OS-level support for OpenType? Is porting freetype sufficient? A
    different library?

    I'm asking mainly because of Plan 9, a UNIX-like OS with a C compiler
    (but no C++) to which the freetype library has been ported. There's
    an old port of TeX that doesn't work too well anymore, so there's been
    some talk about porting a modern TeX. (LuaTeX requires C++ for the
    PDF library it uses, so that's out for now.)

    --Joel

  2. Re: [9fans] Porting XeTeX

    > I'm asking mainly because of Plan 9, a UNIX-like OS with a C compiler
    > (but no C++) to which the freetype library has been ported. There's
    > an old port of TeX that doesn't work too well anymore, so there's been
    > some talk about porting a modern TeX. (LuaTeX requires C++ for the
    > PDF library it uses, so that's out for now.)

    what do you mean "doesn't work too well anymore"? i haven't noticed anything
    going broken.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Porting XeTeX

    > I'm asking mainly because of Plan 9, a UNIX-like OS with a C compiler
    > (but no C++) to which the freetype library has been ported. There's
    > an old port of TeX that doesn't work too well anymore, so there's been
    > some talk about porting a modern TeX.

    don't waste your time unless there is something
    about the current tex installation that doesn't

    the only thing i can think of that current tex's can
    do that the plan 9 tex can't is generate pdf with
    hyperlinks. unless you care a lot about this feature
    (or some other), you're wasting your time.
    the tex world doesn't exactly move quickly,
    and the tex port (done in 1999, i think) incorporates
    the last major revisions to latex.

    next we're going to hear that since sam hasn't been
    updated in about 10 years, it doesn't work too well
    anymore, so it's time to port a "modern" editor like vim.

    russ

  4. Re: [9fans] Porting XeTeX

    On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:28 AM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > what do you mean "doesn't work too well anymore"? i haven't noticed anything
    > going broken.

    But lucio has had trouble.

    I guess I overstated the case a bit.

    --Joel

  5. Re: [9fans] Porting XeTeX

    > But lucio has had trouble.

    That's because I am totally unfamiliar with TeX.

    > I guess I overstated the case a bit.

    Sorry to have put you in the firing line.

    ++L

+ Reply to Thread