[9fans] upas/fs to imap: removed messages sometimes regenerate - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] upas/fs to imap: removed messages sometimes regenerate - Plan9 ; I'm seeing some odd (wrong) behavior with Plan 9's upas/fs and was wondering of others have seen it, before I start digging further. I use upas/fs to talk to a local mailbox and two IMAP servers. The local store and ...

  1. [9fans] upas/fs to imap: removed messages sometimes regenerate

    I'm seeing some odd (wrong) behavior with Plan 9's upas/fs and was
    wondering of others have seen it, before I start digging further. I
    use upas/fs to talk to a local mailbox and two IMAP servers. The local
    store and one of the IMAP servers work reliably correctly. On the
    other IMAP server, upas/fs will *sometimes* get into a state where
    when I remove a message, it'll re-insert itself into the tree with a
    higher message number. For example, with the IMAP server dalet:

    :; cd /mail/fs/dalet
    :; ls
    1
    2
    ctl
    :; rm 1 2 ; ls
    3
    4
    ctl

    Messages 3&4 are the same as 1&2; nothing new's actually come in.
    Other IMAP clients I've used behave properly with this server. I've
    not yet identified the pattern which causes it, but it's not random.
    Anyone else seen this or similar?

  2. Re: [9fans] upas/fs to imap: removed messages sometimes regenerate

    > I'm seeing some odd (wrong) behavior with Plan 9's upas/fs and was
    > wondering of others have seen it, before I start digging further. I
    > use upas/fs to talk to a local mailbox and two IMAP servers. The local
    > store and one of the IMAP servers work reliably correctly. On the
    > other IMAP server, upas/fs will *sometimes* get into a state where
    > when I remove a message, it'll re-insert itself into the tree with a
    > higher message number. For example, with the IMAP server dalet:
    >
    > :; cd /mail/fs/dalet
    > :; ls
    > 1
    > 2
    > ctl
    > :; rm 1 2 ; ls
    > 3
    > 4
    > ctl
    >
    > Messages 3&4 are the same as 1&2; nothing new's actually come in.
    > Other IMAP clients I've used behave properly with this server. I've
    > not yet identified the pattern which causes it, but it's not random.
    > Anyone else seen this or similar?

    i've seen this before. the problem was the client and server had lost
    uid sync. if you know a situation that always produces the behavior
    it would be interesting to telnet directly to the server and snoop on
    the uids.
    1 login $user $password
    2 select inbox
    3 status inbox (messages uidvalidity)
    4 uid fetch 1:* uid
    and then "expunge">
    5 uid fetch 1:* uid
    will list all the available messages. if you list the uids, delete messages
    in a way that causes a problem, then you can list the uids again and
    see if upas/fs or the server is at fault.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread