On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * John Barham wrote:
>
> > If you just want to serve static content on Unix/FreeBSD, Dan
> > Bernstein's HTTP server in his publicfile package
> > (http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html) is one option. Considering his
> > reputation for writing secure software it's probably as good a choice
> > as any.

> Beware: this reputation is limited to "secure" - installing and
> maintenance of DJB-packages is really ugly ! (actally, I wouldn't
> cause this stuff "packages", but collections of code fragments).
>
> Did you ever try to building qmail ?

Yes. On linux and netbsd. With and without various patches. Works perfectly.
The only time in 2 years it has ever required "ugly maintenance" was
no fault of qmail's - about 2 weeks ago my ip-range got blacklisted by
some spam databases for consisting of dynamic ip assignments, so I had
to route outgoing mail through my ISP's mail server.

> For some customer, I had to get it built in our automated image
> builder (which does evrything from scratch wit an sysroot'ed
> cross-toolchain).

$ uname -p
x86_64
$ echo cc -m32 -O2 -include /usr/include/errno.h >conf-cc
$ echo cc -m32 >conf-ld
$ make
$ objdump -f auto-gid
auto-gid: file format elf32-i386
architecture: i386, flags 0x00000112:

Granted, the -include is a bitch and took me awhile to work out. Some
TLS[1] related error which I don't have a good understanding of. Marks
my first qmail build failure - I blame centOS :P
The sysroot requirement is a little harder to meet, but really just
requires a mount --bind /tmp/sysroot/var/qmail /var/qmail. Or, if
you're running qmail on the host and really can't afford to stop it
for a minute or two, a custom setup rule based on hier.c (or use a
chroot - oh if only lunix had private namespaces...).

[1] /usr/bin/ld: errno: TLS definition in /lib/libc.so.6 section .tbss
mismatches non-TLS reference in substdio.a(substdo.o)

> Required me to completely rewrite all makefiles.

Just like you had to fork libixp and rewrite all its makefiles?
Look, if you have a penchant for reimplementing build systems, go for
it. You can rewrite makefiles in every spare second of your time and I
don't care. However, your apparent inability to grasp any build system
not written by yourself is no excuse to spread FUD about other
packages.
-sqweek