[9fans] GSOC 2008 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] GSOC 2008 - Plan9 ; (reposting as my initial post bounced because it had too many recipients) (Cross-posted into inferno-list, v9fs-developer, plan9-gsoc, and plan9-gsoc-mentors) Okay, from the deafening silence outside of students and project nominations, it sound like we better get cracking. At the very ...

  1. [9fans] GSOC 2008

    (reposting as my initial post bounced because it had too many recipients)
    (Cross-posted into inferno-list, v9fs-developer, plan9-gsoc, and
    plan9-gsoc-mentors)

    Okay, from the deafening silence outside of students and project
    nominations, it sound like we better get cracking. At the very least
    folks should start thinking up project ideas and people should decide
    whether or not they will be available to mentor. For folks unaware of
    GSoC (aka Google Summer of Code), here's the link:
    http://code.google.com/soc and also a link to last year's Plan 9 GSoC:
    http://gsoc.cat-v.org/

    I started a toplevel wiki page:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...008/index.html for people
    to post interest and ideas -- although I think it would be a good idea
    to post project ideas in the gsoc mailing list (one message per idea)
    to make discussion easier -- vetted ideas can then be transfered to
    the wiki.

    Its probably also appropriate to start discussing guidelines for
    project ideas and rules of engagement for how we are going to manage
    project selection, mentor assignment, and student selections this year
    as well as discuss volunteers and nominations for project
    administrators.

    All of this should probably happen in the plan9-gsoc mailing list
    (http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc) to allow folks to opt-in
    to the noise, so this will be my last cross-post. I'm cc:'ing the
    inferno list and v9fs-developer list as those projects participated in
    the Plan 9 GSoC last year (and will likely do so again this year).

    -eric

  2. Re: [9fans] GSOC 2008

    I would love to be a student, especially cause this year I really have
    a lot of time to spend until i will do a winter semester.

    Why didn't you just use that old list of ideas? I think there was more
    than one page already, full with ideas from last year. ****, it feels
    like i did my last years application like a few weeks ago. I must have
    wasted my time in a very stupid way.

    --
    hiro

  3. Re: [9fans] GSOC 2008

    On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:

    > Why didn't you just use that old list of ideas? I think there was more
    > than one page already, full with ideas from last year. ****, it feels
    > like i did my last years application like a few weeks ago. I must have
    > wasted my time in a very stupid way.

    clean start is better. We have a better idea of what will and won't
    work. But if you had a great idea, just resubmit.

    And any US citizens on this list can apply to sandia.gov to work for
    me on Plan 9 this summer in california.

    foreigners are harder but I am hoping not impossible -- still working on it.
    ron

  4. Re: [9fans] GSOC 2008

  5. [9fans] GSOC 2008 project

    Assembler for Dis in Limbo

    I could do with one

  6. Re: [9fans] GSOC 2008

    On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM, don bailey wrote:

    > Seriously? What's the pay look like?

    well it's student pay. It's an intern position.

    ron

  7. Re: [9fans] GSOC 2008

    > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM, don bailey wrote:
    >
    >> Seriously? What's the pay look like?

    > well it's student pay. It's an intern position.
    >
    > ron

    The pay is pretty good for me, not that I would complain about a raise
    or anything. The student pay scales are based on the number of
    credits you have completed with your school.

    John

+ Reply to Thread