[9fans] Does sam have browse command - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Does sam have browse command - Plan9 ; Hi all, I notice that the ed editor shipped by Plan9 has a browse command b, which can be used to print a page for each invocation. And I think it is a new feature (? I'm not sure in ...

  1. [9fans] Does sam have browse command

    Hi all,

    I notice that the ed editor shipped by Plan9 has a browse command b,
    which can be used to print a page for each invocation. And I think it
    is a new feature (? I'm not sure in fact). I wonder if sam has also
    such a convenient command? Well, I know it is not necessary in sam
    since sam can use mouse language. But it will be useful in
    non-download mode.

    Thanks.

    --
    HZ

  2. [9fans] Fwd: Does sam have browse command

    I checked the upe, and also the document of GNU ed. It seems that the
    `b' command is really a new feature. Then, when such a browse command
    was not here yet, how conveniently did users browse in page to page
    manner in ed or sam -d?

    Thanks.

    I notice that the ed editor shipped by Plan9 has a browse command b,
    which can be used to print a page for each invocation. And I think it
    is a new feature (? I'm not sure in fact). I wonder if sam has also
    such a convenient command? Well, I know it is not necessary in sam
    since sam can use mouse language. But it will be useful in
    non-download mode.

    Thanks.

    --
    HZ

  3. Re: [9fans] Fwd: Does sam have browse command

    ..,.+20p

    > I checked the upe, and also the document of GNU ed. It seems that the
    > `b' command is really a new feature. Then, when such a browse command
    > was not here yet, how conveniently did users browse in page to page
    > manner in ed or sam -d?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: [9fans] Fwd: Does sam have browse command

    Hi,

    Thanks. But it seems that this instruction only works in ed. With
    sam, however, the printed area will be increasely expanded each time
    rather than be disjoined ones.

    --
    HZ

  5. Re: [9fans] Fwd: Does sam have browse command

    Well, for what b provides this is probably good enough. You can use .+,.+20p for
    disjoined chunks, or .+-,.+20p for what b does in ed. It's all in the man
    page, though.

    * Hongzheng Wang (wanghz@gmail.com) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks. But it seems that this instruction only works in ed. With
    > sam, however, the printed area will be increasely expanded each time
    > rather than be disjoined ones.
    >
    > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Martin Neubauer wrote:
    > > .,.+20p
    > >

    > > > I checked the upe, and also the document of GNU ed. It seems that the
    > > > `b' command is really a new feature. Then, when such a browse command
    > > > was not here yet, how conveniently did users browse in page to page
    > > > manner in ed or sam -d?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    > --
    > HZ

  6. Re: [9fans] Fwd: Does sam have browse command

    Thanks. It works. So an encapsulated browse command might be more
    convenient for sam.
    Just a wish :-)

    --
    HZ