[9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn) - Plan9 ; dumping the mptable shows that here is just one PCMPprocessor enty and nothing else so this is the reason here is no busses found and mpintrenablex fails. Plan 9 E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 reserved E820: 000e0000 00100000 ...

  1. [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)

    dumping the mptable shows that here is just one PCMPprocessor enty
    and nothing else so this is the reason here is no busses found and
    mpintrenablex fails.

    Plan 9
    E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory
    E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 reserved
    E820: 000e0000 00100000 reserved
    E820: 00100000 3fe60000 memory
    E820: 3fe60000 3fee9000 acpi nvs
    E820: 3fee9000 3feed000 memory
    E820: 3feed000 3feff000 acpi reclaim
    E820: 3feff000 3ff00000 memory
    mp found 0xfe680
    found mp table 0xfe680
    pcmp->length=40
    pcmp->version=4
    pcmp->checksum=81
    pcmp->oemtable=0
    pcmp->oemlength=0
    pcmp->entry=1
    pcmp->lapicbase=fee00000
    pcmp->xlength=0
    pcmp->xchecksum=0
    126 holes free
    00018000 0009f000 552960
    003ef000 10000000 264310784
    264863744 bytes free
    cpu0: 2999MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F62 DX 0xBFEBFBFF)
    ELCR: 0E00
    LAPIC: fee00000 e0000000
    mptable: f00fe6bc-f00fe6d0
    0 0 14 3 62 F 0 0 FF FB EB BF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    f00fe6bc processor...
    processor p->apicno=0
    processor p->version=14
    processor p->flags=3
    processor p->feature=bfebfbff 0x1
    mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
    intrenable: couldn't enable irq 1, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for kbd
    ioapicirq: can't find bus type 12
    mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
    intrenable: couldn't enable irq 11, tbdf 0xC040000 for ether0

    i guess the processor has some hyperthreading feature-flag set,
    but if here are no bus entries in the mptable, how is it supposed
    to work?

    cinap

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)

    if i'm reading the output you've sent correctly, linux is getting
    the interrupt mappings from ACPI not the MP table. and your
    mp table is broken. i don't know very much about linux irq
    handling or acpi irq tables, but it's likely that your mb manufacturer
    didn't think a full mp table was worth his time.

    so, i guess this is the menu of options in increasing amount
    of effort and accomplishment:

    1. *nomp=1
    2. bios update.
    3. figure out what the mp table should be from the acpi
    tables and forge an mp table for archmp's benefit.
    4. teach plan 9 to parse the acpi irq tables.

    cheer up! the acpi documentation is less than two feet
    thick.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan9 on Intel Pentiul D Dualcore (D94RPLrn)

    > 4. teach plan 9 to parse the acpi irq tables.
    >
    > cheer up! the acpi documentation is less than two feet
    > thick.

    Don't worry, I don't think the thickness of the documentation will be
    an issue, most mb manufacturers ignore it and simply test that the
    junk they build works (ie., boots) with NT's broken ACPI
    implementation...

    This makes adding ACPI support to your favorite OS most fun, fun, fun.

    uriel

+ Reply to Thread