[9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer) - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer) - Plan9 ; I just installed Plan 9 yesterday on a machine I've setup with removable drives. My machine is setup simply to experiment with different OS's and I've got drives with several dozen different systems: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, BeOs , Solaris, ...

  1. [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    I just installed Plan 9 yesterday on a machine I've setup with removable
    drives.
    My machine is setup simply to experiment with different OS's and I've got
    drives
    with several dozen different systems:
    Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, BeOs , Solaris, etc.

    Plan 9 is now my latest experiment.

    The main thing I wanted to do with Plan 9 was just use it to FTP data up to
    my website.
    Though I've got the network configured and can Ping out...
    I was not able to find any FTP. ( I did find "ftpd" though)

    If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if there is a
    text-based news reader
    available for accessing Usenet.

    I read over the Wikipedia info but was not able to ascertain anything to
    help me.

    Thanks

  2. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    ftpfs -m /n/yourftp domain.com

    You will be asked for a username and password.

    cd /n/yourftp

    Your files are now there.

    On Feb 24, 2008, at 7:54 AM, philo wrote:

    > I just installed Plan 9 yesterday on a machine I've setup with
    > removable drives.
    > My machine is setup simply to experiment with different OS's and
    > I've got
    > drives
    > with several dozen different systems:
    > Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, BeOs , Solaris, etc.
    >
    > Plan 9 is now my latest experiment.
    >
    > The main thing I wanted to do with Plan 9 was just use it to FTP
    > data up to
    > my website.
    > Though I've got the network configured and can Ping out...
    > I was not able to find any FTP. ( I did find "ftpd" though)
    >
    > If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if
    > there is a
    > text-based news reader
    > available for accessing Usenet.
    >
    > I read over the Wikipedia info but was not able to ascertain
    > anything to
    > help me.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    A note: the Plan 9 philosophy is to subdivide all tasks into
    namespaces that are part of the file system. The mail system upas,
    the USB system usbd, the print sytem lp, the FTP system ftpfs, the
    web site access system webfs - all of them mount information to the
    file system. In fact, the /proc directory, where your processes are
    stored, made its way into other operating systems, and makes the who
    command very short...

    On Feb 24, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > ftpfs -m /n/yourftp domain.com
    >
    > You will be asked for a username and password.
    >
    > cd /n/yourftp
    >
    > Your files are now there.
    >
    > On Feb 24, 2008, at 7:54 AM, philo wrote:
    >

    >> I just installed Plan 9 yesterday on a machine I've setup with
    >> removable drives.
    >> My machine is setup simply to experiment with different OS's and
    >> I've got
    >> drives
    >> with several dozen different systems:
    >> Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, BeOs , Solaris, etc.
    >>
    >> Plan 9 is now my latest experiment.
    >>
    >> The main thing I wanted to do with Plan 9 was just use it to FTP
    >> data up to
    >> my website.
    >> Though I've got the network configured and can Ping out...
    >> I was not able to find any FTP. ( I did find "ftpd" though)
    >>
    >> If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if
    >> there is a
    >> text-based news reader
    >> available for accessing Usenet.
    >>
    >> I read over the Wikipedia info but was not able to ascertain
    >> anything to
    >> help me.
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > ftpfs -m /n/yourftp domain.com
    >
    > You will be asked for a username and password.
    >
    > cd /n/yourftp
    >
    > Your files are now there.

    Other than the fact that I forgot to bind my DNS the first time I tried
    it...
    worked just fine!

    I appreciate the help and should be OK to experiment on my own for a while.

    Thank you very much for taking the time to kelp a newbie!!!

    --
    www.plazaearth.com/philo

  5. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    > If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if there is a
    > text-based news reader
    > available for accessing Usenet.

    try News in acme, which uses nntpfs(4)

  6. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    OK
    thank you for the reply.
    I see that I do have acme...so I'll go test it out now and see what I can do
    with it!

    On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Fazlul Shahriar
    wrote:

    > > If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if there

    > is a
    > > text-based news reader
    > > available for accessing Usenet.

    > try News in acme, which uses nntpfs(4)

  7. Re: [9fans] New User (Experimentor only, non-programmer)

    Before I attempt to use acme as a newreader
    I thought I'd load a simple txt file...but did not have great luck.
    The data were truncated and I got an error message about not being able to
    load the font type.
    but again...it was just a simple text file, which I had no trouble
    concatinating.

    It looks like there is plenty here in Plan 9 to keep me busy though

    thanks

    On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM, philo wrote:

    > OK
    > thank you for the reply.
    > I see that I do have acme...so I'll go test it out now and see what I can
    > do with it!
    >

    > On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Fazlul Shahriar
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > If I get that working, about the only other question I have is if

    > > there is a
    > > > text-based news reader
    > > > available for accessing Usenet.

    > > try News in acme, which uses nntpfs(4)