[9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix? - Plan9 ; Hi all, I have a machine running FreeBSD that I want to set up as a web server (among other things). It's not powered by plan9 because I also want to run libtorrent/rtorrent on it, and afaik there's no bittorrent ...

  1. [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    Hi all,

    I have a machine running FreeBSD that I want to set up as a web server
    (among other things). It's not powered by plan9 because I also want to
    run libtorrent/rtorrent on it, and afaik there's no bittorrent client
    yet for plan9.
    I used to run thttpd because I want something small, relatively secure,
    and simple, but now I would like to set up something plan9-ish if
    possible. One of the reasons being that I found Kenji's rc based cgi
    thingie he showed at iwp9 quite nice, and I'd like to eventually use
    that (especially since it would be a nice rc learning exercise for me
    to port all my current perl cgis in rc.)

    So my question is what is my best option?
    Setting up inferno on FreeBSD and run httpd from there? Setting up plan9
    in xen (or lguest) and set httpd inside that? Try to port plan9's httpd
    to unix, using p9p as an example? Just stick to some unix httpd because
    it's not worth it? (I guess it wouldn't be that hard to get thttpd to
    run some rc cgis actually).

    Please bear in my mind that this is an old box (p200, 256MB ram), so the
    solution has to be light (for example I'm not even sure it's possible to
    achieve the xen or inferno one). Well, I guess it can't be worse than
    apache2, which actually used to run on that machine...

    Thanks,
    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  2. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    > So my question is what is my best option?
    > Setting up inferno on FreeBSD and run httpd from there? Setting up plan9
    > in xen (or lguest) and set httpd inside that? Try to port plan9's httpd
    > to unix, using p9p as an example? Just stick to some unix httpd because
    > it's not worth it? (I guess it wouldn't be that hard to get thttpd to
    > run some rc cgis actually).
    >
    > Please bear in my mind that this is an old box (p200, 256MB ram), so the
    > solution has to be light (for example I'm not even sure it's possible to
    > achieve the xen or inferno one). Well, I guess it can't be worse than
    > apache2, which actually used to run on that machine...

    one little point: rc doesn't run on inferno.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    > Please bear in my mind that this is an old box (p200, 256MB ram), so the
    > solution has to be light (for example I'm not even sure it's possible to
    > achieve the xen or inferno one). Well, I guess it can't be worse than
    > apache2, which actually used to run on that machine...

    can't get lighter than httpd on plan9 on hardware. i think it would keep
    up the with load from a dsl.

  4. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    for an unlikely value for "best"

    this one will get you started, and it's pretty secure once you've
    learned how to chroot it and run it from tcpserver

    http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/rc/webserver.rc

    for CGI it's a matter of adding if(test -x $file) and going from there

  5. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    I run my web site on plan9. After watching my friends suffer through
    all the security warnings that come with apache, php, and all the
    other little bits that go with *nix web servers, I feel like I made an
    easier choice.

    Latest one for one site: "We blocked the ports to your web server, you
    were running php x.y.4 and you need to run x.y.5". And, of course,
    x.y.5 didn't bulid correctly on macos ... ah fun.

    ron

  6. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    ron minnich wrote:
    > I run my web site on plan9. After watching my friends suffer through
    > all the security warnings that come with apache, php, and all the
    > other little bits that go with *nix web servers, I feel like I made an
    > easier choice.

    If you just want to serve static content on Unix/FreeBSD, Dan
    Bernstein's HTTP server in his publicfile package
    (http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html) is one option. Considering his
    reputation for writing secure software it's probably as good a choice
    as any.

    John

  7. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    Yeah I wish I could. But I'm really doing a lot of torrenting and I
    can't afford to have another server at home dedicated for that (would be
    too noisy), so both the torrenting and the webserving have to be on the
    same machine. Hence FreeBSD and not plan9... :/

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  8. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    lejatorn@gmail.com wrote:

    >Yeah I wish I could. But I'm really doing a lot of torrenting and I
    >can't afford to have another server at home dedicated for that (would be
    >too noisy), so both the torrenting and the webserving have to be on the
    >same machine. Hence FreeBSD and not plan9... :/

    now here is a reason for you to port/write bittorrent software for
    Plan9! ;-)

    cinap

  9. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    If you want to write web apps in rc, p9p is enough.
    http://gsoc.cat-v.org is built with rc based templates and the 'werc'
    framework (barely over a hundred lines of rc code).

    If you want to do things right I would use mjl's new httpd for Inferno.

    uriel

    On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:22 PM, wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a machine running FreeBSD that I want to set up as a web server
    > (among other things). It's not powered by plan9 because I also want to
    > run libtorrent/rtorrent on it, and afaik there's no bittorrent client
    > yet for plan9.
    > I used to run thttpd because I want something small, relatively secure,
    > and simple, but now I would like to set up something plan9-ish if
    > possible. One of the reasons being that I found Kenji's rc based cgi
    > thingie he showed at iwp9 quite nice, and I'd like to eventually use
    > that (especially since it would be a nice rc learning exercise for me
    > to port all my current perl cgis in rc.)
    >
    > So my question is what is my best option?
    > Setting up inferno on FreeBSD and run httpd from there? Setting up plan9
    > in xen (or lguest) and set httpd inside that? Try to port plan9's httpd
    > to unix, using p9p as an example? Just stick to some unix httpd because
    > it's not worth it? (I guess it wouldn't be that hard to get thttpd to
    > run some rc cgis actually).
    >
    > Please bear in my mind that this is an old box (p200, 256MB ram), so the
    > solution has to be light (for example I'm not even sure it's possible to
    > achieve the xen or inferno one). Well, I guess it can't be worse than
    > apache2, which actually used to run on that machine...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mathieu.
    >
    > --
    > GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:
    >
    > KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    > 683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    > --

  10. Re: [9fans] plan9 httpd/pegasus on unix?

    On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:27:38PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    > Well, you've probably got the netqmail port, which automatically patches
    > it's own sourcetree within the build process. (AFAIK, DJB's license
    > doesn't allow shipping an complete sourcetree, so netqmail has to
    > be shipped as patch against qmail).

    qmail was placed in the public domain in November of last year:

+ Reply to Thread