[9fans] kenfs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] kenfs - Plan9 ; i put a new version of the kenfs code we're running at coraid on sources. /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/myfs. we continue to see good performance and the most serious problem encountered so far is that the default route was configured incorrectly requiring a ...

  1. [9fans] kenfs

    i put a new version of the kenfs code we're running at coraid on sources.
    /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/myfs. we continue to see good performance
    and the most serious problem encountered so far is that the default
    route was configured incorrectly requiring a creative dynamic route
    for sntp.

    this version fixes a locking problem in send and recv when called spllo
    and a few bugs with odd configurations. it also deprecates devsd code.
    the huge size of the myricom firmware lead to devices and ethernet
    controllers. these are controlled by tables in $conf/etherctlr.c and
    $conf/devtab.c. this has reduced the size of the kernel built for the
    soekris 4501 (aska) to 177994 bytes compressed. finally, the partition
    code has been reworked so that fdisk or prep partitions may be used
    in addition to old-style partitions. this allowed the boot code to use
    a Device instead of a one-off construct for the nvr file. thus the nvr
    file for aska is
    nvr=ph0"9fat"!fs.nvr
    where ph0"9fat" is a regular Device and fs.nvr is a fat file name. the
    same syntax may be used in filsys declarations. the main filesystem
    on my new (unfinished) fs is declared as
    filsys main cpe2.0"kcache"e2.1
    since i need just a few gb of cache, using an fdisk partition allows
    me to archive linux junk to the rest of that partition without
    opening an lba accountancy. for performance reasons, it would
    make less sense for the cache and worm to share a partitioned
    target.

    the floppy as been temporarly (?) broken by this change.

    if anyone is interested in a soekris 4501 fs, contact me off list.
    judging by the size of my worm, a 4GB CF should be enough to
    run for several years. or, use a small boot CF and an aoe target.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] kenfs

    hi erik,

    >if anyone is interested in a soekris 4501 fs, contact me off list.
    >judging by the size of my worm, a 4GB CF should be enough to
    >run for several years. or, use a small boot CF and an aoe target.

    couple of questions related to this posting as well as your previous one on
    soekris box:

    - will this work for 5501 as well?
    - did u get as many as 8 ethernet ports working?

    i am thinking of getting 5501 and trying plan9/inferno.

    here are the things i like about soekris:

    - surprisingly, their products have a long life (in terms of availability)
    compared to other embedded boards from other companies
    - price is reasonable and affordable. prices dont change much whether an
    individual orders or a company orders, one or 1000 boards, etc. Also one can
    order any number of boards (no limit on min. qty)
    - many OSes are known to run

    i wish plan9/inferno community provides more support for soekris products.
    earlier, i used to wonder why ron minnich didnt go for soekris boards for
    his projects.

    regards
    dharani

  3. Re: [9fans] kenfs

    > couple of questions related to this posting as well as your previous one on
    > soekris box:
    >
    > - will this work for 5501 as well?
    > - did u get as many as 8 ethernet ports working?
    >
    > i am thinking of getting 5501 and trying plan9/inferno.

    i don't know. i don't have a 5501. by the way i should have
    made it clear that plan 9 does run on this box as ken fs running
    does not imply that plan 9 does.

    > i wish plan9/inferno community provides more support for soekris products.
    > earlier, i used to wonder why ron minnich didnt go for soekris boards for
    > his projects.

    plan 9 has run on the 4501 for quite some time.

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] kenfs

    hi erik,

    i havent seen much discussion on soekris cards in 9fans and inferno-list. so
    i wish people interested in embedded boards consider soekris.

    also, by support i meant support for controller devices (SATA
    support?/ethernet support (5501 says VIA VTA6105M chips or so)?, etc). i
    mean, more than just getting it up and running. may be, i need a first hand
    expericence with the board before mentioning this.

    regards
    dharani

    On 2/24/08, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > > couple of questions related to this posting as well as your previous one

    > on
    > > soekris box:
    > >
    > > - will this work for 5501 as well?
    > > - did u get as many as 8 ethernet ports working?
    > >
    > > i am thinking of getting 5501 and trying plan9/inferno.

    > i don't know. i don't have a 5501. by the way i should have
    > made it clear that plan 9 does run on this box as ken fs running
    > does not imply that plan 9 does.
    >
    > > i wish plan9/inferno community provides more support for soekris

    > products.
    > > earlier, i used to wonder why ron minnich didnt go for soekris boards

    > for
    > > his projects.

    > plan 9 has run on the 4501 for quite some time.
    >
    > - erik

+ Reply to Thread