[9fans] New to plan 9: what next? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] New to plan 9: what next? - Plan9 ; I've been interested in Plan 9 for a little while now and finally got around to setting up a virtual plan 9 installation via qemu. As someone completely new to the operating system I've been reading the man pages, getting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

  1. [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    I've been interested in Plan 9 for a little while now and finally got
    around to setting up a virtual plan 9 installation via qemu. As
    someone completely new to the operating system I've been reading the
    man pages, getting familiar with sam and acme, randomly clicking
    around, etc. What would you suggest for some next (baby) steps?

  2. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    First off, finish learning to use rc, rio, and acme. You'll need both
    of them :-)

    If you are using QEMU, I am assuming you already use another OS.
    Therefore, just a bit of translation: in your OS, you say "Copy." In
    Plan 9, you say "Snarf."

    Next, to turn off Plan 9, issue the
    fshalt
    command. When it is done, turn off your computer - Plan 9 doesn't
    (yet) turn off itself. The -r option to fshalt reboots the system.

    Next, log in as user glenda or boot the Live CD and read the rio and
    acme tutorials from that location.

    Next, read the wiki (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9) for more
    familiarization.

    Next, go to http://www.troff.org/ to learn how to use troff, the word
    processor. troff.org is a (dead?) community-based website.

    Finally, check back here if you have any questions.

    On Feb 19, 2008, at 5:58 PM, devrin talen wrote:

    > I've been interested in Plan 9 for a little while now and finally got
    > around to setting up a virtual plan 9 installation via qemu. As
    > someone completely new to the operating system I've been reading the
    > man pages, getting familiar with sam and acme, randomly clicking
    > around, etc. What would you suggest for some next (baby) steps?



  3. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    > I've been interested in Plan 9 for a little while now and finally got
    > around to setting up a virtual plan 9 installation via qemu. As
    > someone completely new to the operating system I've been reading the
    > man pages, getting familiar with sam and acme, randomly clicking
    > around, etc. What would you suggest for some next (baby) steps?


    1) Get familiar with mouse chording ASAP. It's great. If you don't
    have a true 3-button mouse, go get one right now.
    2) Read as much of /sys/doc as you can handle. They're good papers
    and will help you understand the system better. Start with
    9.ps and 9.intro.pdf
    3) Get a spare box/clone your qemu install and set up a cpu/auth/file
    server. You won't get the "real" Plan 9 experience until you have
    at least a cpu/auth/file server and a terminal; then, a lot more
    things will make sense.
    4) Use Google Groups to search comp.os.plan9 (I find their search
    works pretty well) before you ask a question here--it may have
    already been answered.
    5) Have fun, and illegitimi non carborundum

    John


  4. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    * Pietro Gagliardi (pietro10@mac.com) wrote:
    > First off, finish learning to use rc, rio, and acme. You'll need both
    > of them :-)


    For large values of two, two equals three, for small values of three.

    Seriously, it's probobly easiest to understand how Plan 9 works and why it
    is the way it is by reading what you find in /sys/doc. Start with 9.ps and
    work yourself through the rest. A few things aren't really necessary to
    get started, but reading the titles and abstracts helps to sort things. The
    wiki is nice and contains quite a few descriptions of getting things done
    but provides little reasoning about design (notable exceptions are the
    pages on the colour scheme and the mouse vs. keyboard debate - there's
    really no need to carry this one back to the list.)

    Oh, and the man pages are great for reference.


  5. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 8:11 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > First off, finish learning to use rc, rio, and acme. You'll need both
    > of them :-)
    >


    have you finished it already?

    iru

  6. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 7:58 PM, devrin talen wrote:
    > I've been interested in Plan 9 for a little while now and finally got
    > around to setting up a virtual plan 9 installation via qemu. As
    > someone completely new to the operating system I've been reading the
    > man pages, getting familiar with sam and acme, randomly clicking
    > around, etc. What would you suggest for some next (baby) steps?
    >


    http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
    good reading.

    iru

  7. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    hola,

    people tend to forget, but Plan 9 does has a wiki, with answers
    to most of the questions these groundhog (credit: maht) day posts.

    read it via acme, or:
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nded_readings/

    have fun and welcome to Plan 9!

    On Feb 19, 2008 9:00 PM, Martin Neubauer wrote:
    > * Pietro Gagliardi (pietro10@mac.com) wrote:
    > > First off, finish learning to use rc, rio, and acme. You'll need both
    > > of them :-)

    >
    > For large values of two, two equals three, for small values of three.
    >
    > Seriously, it's probobly easiest to understand how Plan 9 works and why it
    > is the way it is by reading what you find in /sys/doc. Start with 9.ps and
    > work yourself through the rest. A few things aren't really necessary to
    > get started, but reading the titles and abstracts helps to sort things. The
    > wiki is nice and contains quite a few descriptions of getting things done
    > but provides little reasoning about design (notable exceptions are the
    > pages on the colour scheme and the mouse vs. keyboard debate - there's
    > really no need to carry this one back to the list.)
    >
    > Oh, and the man pages are great for reference.
    >
    >




    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  8. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 7:40 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    > have you finished it [rc, rio, acme] already?


    I've learned what the intro tutorials offered. I still feel like
    there's a lot to learn!

  9. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    > hola,
    >
    > people tend to forget, but Plan 9 does has a wiki, with answers
    > to most of the questions these groundhog (credit: maht) day posts.
    >
    > read it via acme, or:
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nded_readings/
    >
    > have fun and welcome to Plan 9!
    >



    Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    sends a message with links to the wiki.
    I'm only half joking.

    John


  10. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 9:50 PM, wrote:
    > Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    > subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    > sends a message with links to the wiki.
    > I'm only half joking.
    >
    > John
    >
    >


    first that.

    iru

  11. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 9:48 PM, devrin talen wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 2008 7:40 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    > > have you finished it [rc, rio, acme] already?

    >
    > I've learned what the intro tutorials offered. I still feel like
    > there's a lot to learn!
    >


    my answer was to pietro, davrin.
    there's always something to learn, but not everyone thinks that way.
    fortunately you do.

    iru

  12. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    > On Feb 19, 2008 9:50 PM, wrote:
    >> Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    >> subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    >> sends a message with links to the wiki.
    >> I'm only half joking.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >>

    >
    > first that.
    >
    > iru


    We used to have FAQs in the good old days. The Plan 9 one has been
    deceased a while, maybe we should distil the wiki knowledge into it
    for a shorter, more static document? I'm not volunteering, but if
    others think it's worthwhile I'll certainly be willing to assist.

    ++L


  13. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    Perhaps there could be an "autoanswer" mail account...
    newbie@plan9.net or something... :P

    On Feb 20, 2008 4:44 AM, wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 19, 2008 9:50 PM, wrote:
    > >> Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    > >> subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    > >> sends a message with links to the wiki.
    > >> I'm only half joking.
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > > first that.
    > >
    > > iru

    >
    > We used to have FAQs in the good old days. The Plan 9 one has been
    > deceased a while, maybe we should distil the wiki knowledge into it
    > for a shorter, more static document? I'm not volunteering, but if
    > others think it's worthwhile I'll certainly be willing to assist.
    >
    > ++L
    >
    >


  14. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.

    On Feb 19, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
    wrote:

    > Perhaps there could be an "autoanswer" mail account...
    > newbie@plan9.net or something... :P
    >
    > On Feb 20, 2008 4:44 AM, wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Feb 19, 2008 9:50 PM, wrote:
    >>>> Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    >>>> subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    >>>> sends a message with links to the wiki.
    >>>> I'm only half joking.
    >>>>
    >>>> John
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> first that.
    >>>
    >>> iru

    >>
    >> We used to have FAQs in the good old days. The Plan 9 one has been
    >> deceased a while, maybe we should distil the wiki knowledge into it
    >> for a shorter, more static document? I'm not volunteering, but if
    >> others think it's worthwhile I'll certainly be willing to assist.
    >>
    >> ++L
    >>
    >>



  15. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 19, 2008 10:10 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.
    >


    Oh, that one's easy: the single page in that textbook will have the
    following text on it:

    "This page intentionally left blank."

  16. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    It is a good idea indeed...

    First: A wiki page "Are you a newbie?"
    Second: A nice "Welcome newbie... Do this and that"
    Third: State the obvios: "Newbie... You have to read... We won't read for you"

    And some other indications...

    I can do the "intentionaly left blank page" :P



    On Feb 20, 2008 5:14 AM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 2008 10:10 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.
    > >

    >
    > Oh, that one's easy: the single page in that textbook will have the
    > following text on it:
    >
    > "This page intentionally left blank."
    >


  17. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    You more annoying than 99% of people.

    I save Uriel time - you **** off!

    2008/2/19, Pietro Gagliardi :
    > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.
    >
    > On Feb 19, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps there could be an "autoanswer" mail account...
    > > newbie@plan9.net or something... :P
    > >
    > > On Feb 20, 2008 4:44 AM, wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> On Feb 19, 2008 9:50 PM, wrote:
    > >>>> Maybe somebody should set up a script that looks for emails with
    > >>>> subjects similar to "new to Plan 9", "Plan 9 newbie", etc. and
    > >>>> sends a message with links to the wiki.
    > >>>> I'm only half joking.
    > >>>>
    > >>>> John
    > >>>>
    > >>>>
    > >>>
    > >>> first that.
    > >>>
    > >>> iru
    > >>
    > >> We used to have FAQs in the good old days. The Plan 9 one has been
    > >> deceased a while, maybe we should distil the wiki knowledge into it
    > >> for a shorter, more static document? I'm not volunteering, but if
    > >> others think it's worthwhile I'll certainly be willing to assist.
    > >>
    > >> ++L
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >



    --
    Ce n'est pas une chanson d'amour

  18. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 20, 2008 6:10 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.
    >


    Trouble reading, have you?.
    There is so many docs, including the sources that this kind of
    sarcasm is just demeaning yourself.

    For example:
    http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
    or
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ons/index.html
    or
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/2/thread

    Any trouble with troff?. I guess if you were writing docs, there may be
    (though you can also write them in latex or plain text, even in Plan 9).
    But no writing either, are we?, just whining.
    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  19. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    i think gorka wants you to type ...

    grep whining /sys/games/lib/fortunes

    brucee

    On Feb 20, 2008 6:32 PM, Gorka Guardiola wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 2008 6:10 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.
    > >

    >
    > Trouble reading, have you?.
    > There is so many docs, including the sources that this kind of
    > sarcasm is just demeaning yourself.
    >
    > For example:
    > http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
    > or
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ons/index.html
    > or
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/2/thread
    >
    > Any trouble with troff?. I guess if you were writing docs, there may be
    > (though you can also write them in latex or plain text, even in Plan 9).
    > But no writing either, are we?, just whining.
    > --
    > - curiosity sKilled the cat
    >


  20. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    devrin talen wrote:

    >On Feb 19, 2008 7:40 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    >
    >
    >>have you finished it [rc, rio, acme] already?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I've learned what the intro tutorials offered. I still feel like
    >there's a lot to learn!
    >
    >

    i would suggest you just to play arround and have fun... :-) all that
    reading is
    for nothing if you dont USE it...

    what you play depends on what you are interested in...

    for me, one of the most interesting things about plan9 is the
    development enviroment...
    so maybe start some hacking... find something that *YOU* actually need
    and is
    missing on plan9 and program it yourself. (by stealing from similar code
    of course ;-))

    good luck!

    cinap


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast