[9fans] New to plan 9: what next? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] New to plan 9: what next? - Plan9 ; Most of /sys/doc is technical and programmer-friendly. I was thinking something more like the Lomutos' "A UNIX Primer." On Feb 20, 2008, at 4:39 AM, Kernel Panic wrote: > devrin talen wrote: > >> On Feb 19, 2008 7:40 PM, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    Most of /sys/doc is technical and programmer-friendly. I was thinking
    something more like the Lomutos' "A UNIX Primer."

    On Feb 20, 2008, at 4:39 AM, Kernel Panic wrote:

    > devrin talen wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 19, 2008 7:40 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    >>
    >>> have you finished it [rc, rio, acme] already?
    >>>

    >> I've learned what the intro tutorials offered. I still feel like
    >> there's a lot to learn!
    >>

    > i would suggest you just to play arround and have fun... :-) all
    > that reading is
    > for nothing if you dont USE it...
    >
    > what you play depends on what you are interested in...
    >
    > for me, one of the most interesting things about plan9 is the
    > development enviroment...
    > so maybe start some hacking... find something that *YOU* actually
    > need and is
    > missing on plan9 and program it yourself. (by stealing from similar
    > code of course ;-))
    >
    > good luck!
    >
    > cinap

  2. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    On Feb 20, 2008 10:29 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > I was thinking

    have you ever considered quitting that business?

    iru

  3. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    > Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    > 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    > typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.

  4. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    Okay, not the reaction I expected, and not one of my better ideas.
    Time to walk away and go improve pico...

    On Feb 20, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

    >> Or perhaps someone should write a book aimed at newbies on using Plan
    >> 9 from Bell Labs. It would be called "Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs,"
    >> typeset in troff, and not go into technical details.

  5. Re: [9fans] New to plan 9: what next?

    It's not just about being new to Plan 9. Plan 9 in a way has been new
    to the world itself all the time, even though it's last centurie's
    technology. And sometimes it feels just pointless to go this - sane -
    way.
    But if you earnestly chose your path and have come this far, don't
    make no compromises now. Stick to the few things you know for sure,
    and you will spot a lot more of this wisdom soon. It's a lot of work,
    because you have to think for yourself. If you want more examples look
    at the source code, cause you won't find much tutorial-like
    documentation here. You will only find freedom, and endless
    possibilites. Working with Plan 9 won't give you all these big
    problems you probably know from "modern" operating systems, which all
    force you spending most of your time solving them. That's why you
    rather don't even know where to start, or what to do next. It's all
    the great possibilities and flexibility.
    Plan9 is an operating system where thinking is supported natively!
    This is at least what i think i learned about plan9 in the last
    months. It has ever since since awkwardly amazed me.

    I'm glad there are other newcomers, climbing out of that pit of
    darkness. This is a way which is otherwise lonely and exhausting,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2