[9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions - Plan9 ; >Don't let the bastards get you down. Believe me when I say you're not >the only one who would vote Bruce off the list if it were an option. Don't diss brucee. He's one of the few reasons for still ...

  1. [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    >Don't let the bastards get you down. Believe me when I say you're not
    >the only one who would vote Bruce off the list if it were an option.

    Don't diss brucee. He's one of the few reasons for still keeping a
    tenth of an eye on the list. These days I even miss Choate. "Let he
    without stone cast the first stone" was pure genius. Most of all I
    miss the benign presence of Presotto, forever attempting to pour oil
    on troubled waters.

  2. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    >>Don't let the bastards get you down. Believe me when I say you're not
    >>the only one who would vote Bruce off the list if it were an option.

    > Don't diss brucee. He's one of the few reasons for still keeping a
    > tenth of an eye on the list. These days I even miss Choate. "Let he
    > without stone cast the first stone" was pure genius. Most of all I
    > miss the benign presence of Presotto, forever attempting to pour oil
    > on troubled waters.

    Small point. The quote is `Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
    Johh 8:7

    And Jesus said, ``Heither do I condemn you; go; and from now on sin
    no more.''

  3. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    > Small point. The quote is `Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
    > Johh 8:7

    Not in Choate's version. It's in the archives.

  4. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    While we are at it... lets remember that young people don't know any
    history. Everyone knows that the first language with garbage
    collection was Visual Basic.

    uriel

    On Feb 19, 2008 1:43 AM, Andrew Simmons wrote:

    > > Small point. The quote is `Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
    > > Johh 8:7
    > >

    > Not in Choate's version. It's in the archives.

  5. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    On Feb 18, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Uriel wrote:

    > While we are at it... lets remember that young people don't know any
    > history. Everyone knows that the first language with garbage
    > collection was Visual Basic.

    When, in reality, it was Lisp. Who knew?

    I actually know a bit more about the Bell Labs-rooted history of the
    computer than about 99% people my age.

    Some more questions:
    What was the first object-oriented language?
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - C++
    - Java
    CORRECT:
    - Simula
    What was the first high-level programming language?
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - BASIC
    - Pascal
    - C
    CORRECT:
    - FORTRAN I
    First microprocessor?
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - 8086
    - 68000
    CORRECT:
    - 4004
    Microsoft's *other* operating system, besides OS/2:
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - I doubt there was one.
    CORRECT:
    - XENIX
    Name the most important person/people in the computer field to date.
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - Bill Gates
    - Steve Jobs
    CORRECT:
    - Thompson & Ritchie, all the way! :-)
    - Alan Turing
    - The great Structured Programming trio: Hoare, Dijkstra, and Dahl
    - Knuth
    Name the computer that started it all.
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - The first IBM PC
    CORRECT:
    - The DEC PDP-11
    What other thing, besides Unix, was the PDP-11 famous for?
    WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    - ???
    CORRECT:
    - Tetris!

  6. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    > Name the computer that started it all.
    > WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    > - The first IBM PC
    > CORRECT:
    > - The DEC PDP-11

    You have a dangerous post there with so many
    assertions, but I'll only point out
    that the pdp-7, not the 11, started it all.
    Ed Sitar had one he wasn't using anymore
    that originally was connected to the mainframe and
    used as a graphics terminal.

    You gotta love the operate instruction.

  7. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    On Feb 18, 2008 8:06 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > Name the most important person/people in the computer field to date.
    > WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    > - Bill Gates
    > - Steve Jobs
    > CORRECT:
    > - Thompson & Ritchie, all the way! :-)
    > - Alan Turing
    > - The great Structured Programming trio: Hoare, Dijkstra, and Dahl
    > - Knuth

    I think Wirth, who you didn't mention would list Blaise Pascal amongst them.

  8. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    On Feb 18, 2008 10:18 PM, Michaelian Ennis wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 2008 8:06 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >
    > > Name the most important person/people in the computer field to date.
    > > WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    > > - Bill Gates
    > > - Steve Jobs
    > > CORRECT:
    > > - Thompson & Ritchie, all the way! :-)
    > > - Alan Turing
    > > - The great Structured Programming trio: Hoare, Dijkstra, and Dahl
    > > - Knuth

    Oh and if you like using transistors for compution, Pingala had an
    interserting contribution.

  9. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    So there is no definite answer to that question. Perhaps even I, who
    has not fully published anything well-programmed (my pico is still a
    mess), could be considered this way. Both "important" and "to date"
    are relative.

    On Feb 18, 2008, at 10:29 PM, Michaelian Ennis wrote:

    > On Feb 18, 2008 10:18 PM, Michaelian Ennis
    > wrote:
    >> On Feb 18, 2008 8:06 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Name the most important person/people in the computer field to date.
    >>> WHAT YOU MIGHT HEAR:
    >>> - Bill Gates
    >>> - Steve Jobs
    >>> CORRECT:
    >>> - Thompson & Ritchie, all the way! :-)
    >>> - Alan Turing
    >>> - The great Structured Programming trio: Hoare,
    >>> Dijkstra, and Dahl
    >>> - Knuth

    > Oh and if you like using transistors for compution, Pingala had an
    > interserting contribution.

  10. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    John the Apostle wasn't real. Mark V. Shaney was.

    brucee

    On Feb 19, 2008 11:39 AM, Brantley Coile wrote:

    > >>Don't let the bastards get you down. Believe me when I say you're not
    > >>the only one who would vote Bruce off the list if it were an option.

    > > Don't diss brucee. He's one of the few reasons for still keeping a
    > > tenth of an eye on the list. These days I even miss Choate. "Let he
    > > without stone cast the first stone" was pure genius. Most of all I
    > > miss the benign presence of Presotto, forever attempting to pour oil
    > > on troubled waters.

    > Small point. The quote is `Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
    > Johh 8:7
    >
    > And Jesus said, ``Heither do I condemn you; go; and from now on sin
    > no more.''

  11. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    > While we are at it... lets remember that young people don't know any
    > history. Everyone knows that the first language with garbage
    > collection was Visual Basic.

    i believe i'm witness to a transformation (i'm not being sarcastic; i
    really think it's true).

  12. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    9fans is an antisocial network.

  13. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    > John the Apostle wasn't real. Mark V. Shaney was.
    >
    > brucee

    http://www.topix.com/forum/source/kx...VOO7F7DV3P6#c5

    he's still posting

  14. Re: [9fans] Non-stack-based calling conventions

    "For the sinner deserves not life but death, according to the disk
    devices. For example, start with Plan 9, which is free of sin, the
    case is different from His perspective."

    -- Mark V. Shaney - http://danny.oz.au/danny/humour/shaney1

    On Feb 19, 2008 5:11 AM, Bruce Ellis wrote:
    > John the Apostle wasn't real. Mark V. Shaney was.
    >
    > brucee

    > > > Don't diss brucee. He's one of the few reasons for still keeping a
    > > > tenth of an eye on the list. These days I even miss Choate. "Let he
    > > > without stone cast the first stone" was pure genius. Most of all I
    > > > miss the benign presence of Presotto, forever attempting to pour oil
    > > > on troubled waters.

    > > Small point. The quote is `Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
    > > Johh 8:7
    > >
    > > And Jesus said, ``Heither do I condemn you; go; and from now on sin
    > > no more.''

+ Reply to Thread