[9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43 - Plan9 ; Hi all, Today, I try to install Plan9 on a Thinkpad T43 laptop. Unforturnately, this attemp failed at last; there are some difficult, at least for me, problems I cannot solve. So I am composing this post to seek help. ...

  1. [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hi all,

    Today, I try to install Plan9 on a Thinkpad T43 laptop.
    Unforturnately, this attemp failed at last; there are some difficult,
    at least for me, problems I cannot solve. So I am composing this post
    to seek help.

    The cd image I used is Feb 16 built version, downloaded from Plan9's
    official website. It looks different from a previous version I used
    to install Plan9 on an old PC. For example, after booting machine
    with the cd, there are three options (install, livecd, and debug
    livecd) instead.

    The first problem I encountered is that DMA could not be enabled
    during installation, although I have explicitly enable it when I am
    asked. As a result, the copydisc task is executed so slow.
    Furthermore, it claims that some files cannot be copied since they
    don't exist. I try reinstall the system, but it seems that the
    installation procedure prefer to continuing previous installation.
    That is, it didn't try to recopy all files from cd and the missing
    warnings are still there. At last, I ignored them.

    For boot method, since I have both Linux and XP on my laptop already,
    I choose grub as multiple boot manager. That is, I select `plan9' as
    boot method when I am asked and don't install boot instructions into
    MBR. And configure grub to use `chainloader +1' to boot Plan9.

    After booting into Plan9, it always stops at `boot from:'. After some
    investigation, I found the problem is that the installation procedure
    didn't copy kernel image 9pcf at all without any prompts. This
    problem is solved by mannually copying /386/9pcf on cd to 9fat
    partition. But the system often reports certain files are missing.
    So I decide to reinstall the whole system.

    I manually delete the Plan9 partition and format fossil. So a fresh
    installation is eventually executed. Surprisingly, there are no
    missing files warning again. But when I try to boot it, the computer
    always reports:
    PCI System Error on Bus/Device/Function 0000h
    and crashes, while Linux and XP can still be booted through grub. I
    don't know why yet

    Another key problem is about the ethernet card. Thinkpad T43 uses
    Broadcom tg3 card and it seems that this card is not supported by
    Plan9 yet since Broadcom refuses to open its hardware
    specification(?). So it becomes so difficult to search for answers
    and information because I have to switch between Plan9 and Linux.

    That's all. Thanks.

    --
    HZ

  2. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hello!
    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:55:14 +0300, Hongzheng Wang
    wrote:

    > For boot method, since I have both Linux and XP on my laptop already,
    > I choose grub as multiple boot manager. That is, I select `plan9' as
    > boot method when I am asked and don't install boot instructions into
    > MBR. And configure grub to use `chainloader +1' to boot Plan9.

    AFAIK, Plan9 needs a first free partition for installation. I use Plan9 on
    ThinkPad T40 installed in the first partition and boot it with LILO via
    'chain' rule.

    --
    Best regards,
    santucco

  3. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hi,

    But even for the same install cd and partition scheme, the
    installation is success for the first time ( execpt that some files
    are missing when system is in use) and could not be booted at all for
    the second time. This is really strange

    --
    HZ

  4. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    > Hi,
    >
    > But even for the same install cd and partition scheme, the
    > installation is success for the first time ( execpt that some files
    > are missing when system is in use) and could not be booted at all for
    > the second time. This is really strange
    >

    > On Feb 19, 2008 4:52 PM, Alexander Sychev wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:55:14 +0300, Hongzheng Wang
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > For boot method, since I have both Linux and XP on my laptop already,
    >> > I choose grub as multiple boot manager. That is, I select `plan9' as
    >> > boot method when I am asked and don't install boot instructions into
    >> > MBR. And configure grub to use `chainloader +1' to boot Plan9.
    >> >

    >> AFAIK, Plan9 needs a first free partition for installation. I use Plan9 on
    >> ThinkPad T40 installed in the first partition and boot it with LILO via
    >> 'chain' rule.

    First off, Plan 9 does not need to be on the first free partition. I
    have it installed on the second partition on my laptop and it boots
    fine.
    As for the rest of your problems... I suggest getting the latest CD,
    to start with. Then, under Linux, do this (if your Plan 9 partition
    is /dev/hda1): "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024" to be on the
    safe side. I've noticed that if you don't zero the disk, even if you
    reinstall and have the installer format fossil etc., you'll end up
    with all the old files still on your disk--highly annoying. After
    you've zeroed the partition, you can try installing again.

    Or, of course, you can try the lguest thing, but I for one like
    running native.

    Good luck!

    John

  5. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hi John,

    Many thanks. Your tip, zeroing the partition mannually first, may
    answer the strange thing I encountered during installation. And, I
    also prefer to native running Plan9. But an installation without
    workable ethernet is quite unacceptable. So I might try the method
    Eric recommended first. Alternatively, I will try to config the
    previously installed Plan9 to be a CPU server.

    --
    HZ

  6. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hongzheng Wang wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >Many thanks. Your tip, zeroing the partition mannually first, may
    >answer the strange thing I encountered during installation. And, I
    >also prefer to native running Plan9. But an installation without
    >workable ethernet is quite unacceptable. So I might try the method
    >Eric recommended first. Alternatively, I will try to config the
    >previously installed Plan9 to be a CPU server.

    is this nic integrated into the mainboard or can it be replaced (some sort
    of mini pci slot)? maybe a pcmcia network card will do?

    cinap

  7. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Using another new network card shoule be ok. But extra cost is needed :P

    --
    HZ

  8. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    I got a tullip clone for less than US$ 5

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  9. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Another reason for configuring Plan9, which is installed on another
    PC, as a CPU server, rather than struggling with T43, is that I still
    prefer to Linux as my daily work platform. Plan9 is, on the other
    hand, yet a research and experiment testbed for me.

    On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Hongzheng Wang wrote:
    > Using another new network card shoule be ok. But extra cost is needed :P

    --
    HZ

  10. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    Hongzheng Wang wrote:

    >Using another new network card shoule be ok. But extra cost is needed :P

    sorry... this is just the simplest obvious thing someone can do... the
    other option
    would be writing/porting a driver and i guess thats a lot harder.
    but maybe here is hope... ron mentiond on irc that he will try porting
    ndis-wrapper
    to plan9 to get more wlan-hardware supported.

    but i would not wait for it... just find a temoprary solution and keep
    on... if
    here is a better solution in the future, you can switch to it and sell
    your replacement
    card to ebay or something :-)

    >On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Kernel Panic wrote:
    >

    >>Hongzheng Wang wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi John,
    >> >
    >> >Many thanks. Your tip, zeroing the partition mannually first, may
    >> >answer the strange thing I encountered during installation. And, I
    >> >also prefer to native running Plan9. But an installation without
    >> >workable ethernet is quite unacceptable. So I might try the method
    >> >Eric recommended first. Alternatively, I will try to config the
    >> >previously installed Plan9 to be a CPU server.
    >> >

    >> is this nic integrated into the mainboard or can it be replaced (some sort
    >> of mini pci slot)? maybe a pcmcia network card will do?
    >>
    >> cinap

    cinap

  11. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:10:14 +0300, john@csplan9.rit.edu
    wrote:

    > First off, Plan 9 does not need to be on the first free partition. I
    > have it installed on the second partition on my laptop and it boots
    > fine.

    Oh, sorry, Plan9 needs a free PRIMARY partition.
    I was wrong.

    --
    Best regards,
    santucco

  12. Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43

    > I got a tullip clone for less than US$ 5
    >
    > On Feb 20, 2008 12:26 PM, Hongzheng Wang wrote:
    >> Using another new network card shoule be ok. But extra cost is needed :P

    >> > is this nic integrated into the mainboard or can it be replaced (some sort
    >> > of mini pci slot)? maybe a pcmcia network card will do?
    >> >
    >> > cinap

    If we're still talking about a Thinkpad T43, your average cheap/free 100Mbit
    card isn't going to cut it. I'm partial to the 3Com Etherlink cards myself,
    since they seem to be very plentiful and very cheap (or free). Laptops are
    a tricky business. If you can get an orinoco wireless card, that ought to
    work well provided you don't need WPA.

    John

+ Reply to Thread