[9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt - Plan9 ; Microsoft just released the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint .doc/.xls/.ppt file format specifications: > http://www.microsoft.com/interop/doc...ryFormats.mspx I'm planning to write ms2doc, a program to convert troff -ms to .doc files for easier collaboration between Plan 9 and Windows....

  1. [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    Microsoft just released the Word, Excel, and
    PowerPoint .doc/.xls/.ppt file format specifications:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/interop/doc...ryFormats.mspx

    I'm planning to write ms2doc, a program to convert troff -ms to .doc
    files for easier collaboration between Plan 9 and Windows.

  2. Re: [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    On 2008-Feb-16, at 19:14 , Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > I'm planning to write ms2doc, a program to convert troff -ms to .doc
    > files

    I think you have the sign inverted, there.

  3. Re: [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    Never mind. Don't try to convert a Microsoft specification to C!

    On Feb 16, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

    > On 2008-Feb-16, at 19:14 , Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >
    >> I'm planning to write ms2doc, a program to convert troff -ms
    >> to .doc files

    > I think you have the sign inverted, there.

  4. Re: [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    > Never mind. Don't try to convert a Microsoft specification to C!

    That's odd because the binary formats are basically C structs in an
    FAT32 file system with some headers.

    Next time announce it when you've got it going

    --
    'Do you ever think anything you don't say?' -- Jessica Lovejoy

  5. Re: [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    Yes, however try reading the C struct for FIB. It's confusing. What
    is FC? I expected a pure struct definition, like in Appendix A of the
    PowerPoint specification.

    On Feb 20, 2008, at 9:55 AM, maht wrote:

    >> Never mind. Don't try to convert a Microsoft specification to C!

    > That's odd because the binary formats are basically C structs in an
    > FAT32 file system with some headers.
    >

    > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/02/19.html
    >

    > Next time announce it when you've got it going
    >

    > --
    > 'Do you ever think anything you don't say?' -- Jessica Lovejoy

  6. Re: [9fans] Improving programs like doc2txt

    as tempting as the thought is,
    c structures != memory layout.

    - erik

    > Yes, however try reading the C struct for FIB. It's confusing. What
    > is FC? I expected a pure struct definition, like in Appendix A of the
    > PowerPoint specification.
    >
    > On Feb 20, 2008, at 9:55 AM, maht wrote:
    >

    > >> Never mind. Don't try to convert a Microsoft specification to C!

    > > That's odd because the binary formats are basically C structs in an
    > > FAT32 file system with some headers.
    > >

    > > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/02/19.html
    > >

    > > Next time announce it when you've got it going

+ Reply to Thread