Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on a DEC Alpha Workstation - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on a DEC Alpha Workstation - Plan9 ; On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Benjamin Huntsman wrote: > > AS600 has an EV5 cpu, not an EV56, so IIRC you might have to clean up some assembler code and add some assembler for drivers to work ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on a DEC Alpha Workstation

    wrote:
    > > AS600 has an EV5 cpu, not an EV56, so IIRC you might have to clean up some assembler code and add some assembler for drivers to work properly without BWX instructions

    > Last time I tried, you can get Plan 9 to build with the -b flag to the compiler. (at least I think it's -b... there's definitely a "no-bwx" switch.) I was able to get the bootloader working on my Multia, but couldn't get it to download the config file via my Mac OS X-hosted tftp server. It'd at least get to that point, though...
    >
    > I'm getting inspired to give it another try now that I've got an XP1000...

    the switch is -x.
    I have an AlphaServer 2100A running VMS too. It would be really nice
    to run Plan 9 on it.

    iru

  2. Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on a DEC Alpha Workstation

    I'm a bit behind, but if anyone in the Tri-State region is looking for
    machines, please email me off list. I've an odd collection of Suns, Alphas,
    & Macs that I'd be willing to part with. Oh, and a 12u PII Xeon with 2 or 4
    cpus.

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
    famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

+ Reply to Thread