[9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash - Plan9 ; * Uriel (uriel99@gmail.com) wrote: > It is more likely that the information you want is not even in the man > page, gnu man pages are severely crippled, and if you want the real > documentation you have to travel ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash

    * Uriel (uriel99@gmail.com) wrote:
    > It is more likely that the information you want is not even in the man
    > page, gnu man pages are severely crippled, and if you want the real
    > documentation you have to travel to info hell which is likely to
    > contain ten times as much (mis)information and be ten times harder to
    > browse.
    >
    > And there you have the greatest innovation GNU has ever brought to
    > unix, in gnu systems I rarely even bother checking the docs, because
    > even random trial and error usually takes much less effort than
    > navigating the fetid info swamp.
    >
    > uriel

    Damn, I was just going to ignore that mess.

  2. Re: [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash

    I call that a disadvantage, to me it looks like y is an argument to -x

    If that's what getflags does, then I hope someone runs rm on it

    "This is not LINUX! This is Plan 9. There are rules."

    > The only advantage to getflags is that we can say
    >
    > rcsrcipt -xy
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > rcscript -x -y
    >
    > which is why I use it in my 12 script.

  3. Re: [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash

    you can't have multiple vars with the same verb, like the pull script
    needs
    % pull -c file0 -c file1
    with getflags you loose file0

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  4. Re: [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash

    getflags brings rc scripts in line with the argument parsing rules
    from the standard plan 9 c maros ARGBEGIN{}ARGEND.

    - erik

    > I call that a disadvantage, to me it looks like y is an argument to -x
    >
    > If that's what getflags does, then I hope someone runs rm on it
    >

    > "This is not LINUX! This is Plan 9. There are rules."
    >

    > > The only advantage to getflags is that we can say
    > >
    > > rcsrcipt -xy
    > >
    > > instead of
    > >
    > > rcscript -x -y

  5. Re: [9fans] How to move to rc from sh/bash

    well shoot me in the foot :>

    I got frustrated with those in Limbo too

    > getflags brings rc scripts in line with the argument parsing rules
    > from the standard plan 9 c maros ARGBEGIN{}ARGEND.
    >
    > - erik
    >

    >> I call that a disadvantage, to me it looks like y is an argument to -x
    >>
    >> If that's what getflags does, then I hope someone runs rm on it
    >>

    >> "This is not LINUX! This is Plan 9. There are rules."
    >>

    >>> The only advantage to getflags is that we can say
    >>>
    >>> rcsrcipt -xy
    >>>
    >>> instead of
    >>>
    >>> rcscript -x -y

+ Reply to Thread