[9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server - Plan9 ; Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following: - enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 - echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local - enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom What does ...

  1. [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server

    Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following:

    - enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9
    255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
    - echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local
    - enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom

    What does all this mean and what values are best for QEMU? Thanks.

  2. Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server

    Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following:
    >
    > - enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9
    > 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
    > - echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local
    > - enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom
    >
    > What does all this mean and what values are best for QEMU? Thanks.

    it means what is says

    it's asking for the IP netmask & gateway as dotted quads i.e.
    192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

    such that 192.168.1.9 is your desired ip, 255.255.255.0 is the netmask
    and 192.168.1.1 is the gateway

    ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local adds a dns=ip in to /lib/ndb/local

    enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom is asking you for the
    names of your ipnet and the authdom you wish to use
    they are just names of your choosing

    best for QEMU

    by default QEMU issues IP addresses through DHCP from the QEMU instance
    and uses 10.0.2.2 as the gateway iirc

    see http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html

    personally I use vdeq
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...QEMU_HOWTO.txt

    In that way the running Plan 9 CPU server will be available to drawterm,
    otherwise you have to play games with QEMU command line options

    My QEMU lives on 192.168.254.254

    I run
    # vde_switch -tap tap0
    # ifconfig tap0 192.168.254.254
    # chown root:maht /tmp/vde.ctl
    # chmod g+w /tmp/vde.ctl

    and then

    vdeq qemu QEMUOPTIONS

    and then I can assign IPs to Qemu running instances that get routed on
    their own subnet and I can ping 192.168.254.1 from 10.0.0.2

  3. Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server

    Okay, so if I do this right, it should be

    something 255.255.255.0 12.0.2.2

    However, the something - the regular IP address, is something that I
    don't know about. I use Q, a frontend to QEMU for Mac OS X.

    On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:27 PM, mattmobile@proweb.co.uk wrote:

    > Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >> Hello. In CPU Warlock, it asks me for the following:
    >>
    >> - enter ip netmask gateway as dotted quads i.e. 192.168.1.9
    >> 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
    >> - echo enter ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local
    >> - enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom
    >>
    >> What does all this mean and what values are best for QEMU? Thanks.
    >>

    > it means what is says
    >
    > it's asking for the IP netmask & gateway as dotted quads i.e.
    > 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
    >
    > such that 192.168.1.9 is your desired ip, 255.255.255.0 is the
    > netmask and 192.168.1.1 is the gateway
    >
    > ip of dns for /lib/ndb/local adds a dns=ip in to /lib/ndb/local
    >
    > enter ipnet and authdom i.e, zero zero.dom is asking you for the
    > names of your ipnet and the authdom you wish to use
    > they are just names of your choosing
    >
    > best for QEMU
    >
    > by default QEMU issues IP addresses through DHCP from the QEMU
    > instance and uses 10.0.2.2 as the gateway iirc
    >
    > see http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html
    >
    > personally I use vdeq http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/
    > vde/build/Using_VDE_with_QEMU_HOWTO.txt
    >
    > In that way the running Plan 9 CPU server will be available to
    > drawterm, otherwise you have to play games with QEMU command line
    > options
    >
    > My QEMU lives on 192.168.254.254
    >
    > I run
    > # vde_switch -tap tap0
    > # ifconfig tap0 192.168.254.254
    > # chown root:maht /tmp/vde.ctl
    > # chmod g+w /tmp/vde.ctl
    >
    > and then
    >
    > vdeq qemu QEMUOPTIONS
    >
    > and then I can assign IPs to Qemu running instances that get routed
    > on their own subnet and I can ping 192.168.254.1 from 10.0.0.2

  4. Re: [9fans] Questions on setting up CPU server

    I think even just putting DHCP might work

    just hack the script, it's only rc

    it only adds it to /cfg/sysname/cpurc I think so just edit it afterwards :>

+ Reply to Thread