[9fans] managing windows in rio - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] managing windows in rio - Plan9 ; > 4. to recall commands typed in an rc session without resorting to the > middle mouse button (snarf+paste)? Aside from " and "" others have mentioned (which are *really useful*), note that snarf+paste is the wrong idiom for this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    > 4. to recall commands typed in an rc session without resorting to the
    > middle mouse button (snarf+paste)?

    Aside from " and "" others have mentioned (which are *really useful*),
    note that snarf+paste is the wrong idiom for this anyway, double click
    at start/end of line + send (which if the last action was a 'send'
    becomes a single click) is usually much better. Inside acme's win it
    is even easier. And also, it is rare to Snarf with a menu when you can
    mouse chord instead.

    uriel

    > 5. to make rc auto-scroll for programs that output many pages of text, e.
    > g. a du on a deep directory tree, and to not block them after a single
    > page?
    > 6. to make rc auto-complete with the [tab] key, instead of the [ins] key?
    > 7. to make rc auto-complete commands and not only file/directory names?
    > 8. to make the [del] key delete the character at the caret as it does in
    > many other environments?
    > 9. to search a manual page while reading it, and not by piping it through
    > grep?
    >
    > Are there...
    >
    > 1. any (configurable or otherwise) keyboard shortcuts in acme/rio?
    > 2. alternatives to mouse navigation and, particularly, text selection in
    > acme?
    > 3. ways to quit acid without deleting its window or hitting [ctrl]+[d]
    > twice, which ends up deleting the window and all the scrollback buffer
    > with it (I could not find a quit() function in the manual page)?
    >
    > Notes on the Plan 9 way of interfacing (the user side of it, of course)
    > are also welcome. Perhaps there are better/faster ways to do things that I
    > am not aware of.
    >
    > Thanks for your taking the time to read through.
    >
    > --

  2. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    > I am looking into some text information in ACME
    > Is it a way to display line numbers along the text?

    no, but you can hop to a line number by typing :123 in the
    tag and then right-clicking on it.

    > Is it a way to figure out particular line number?

    type 'Edit =' in the tag and then middle click it (no quotes).

    russ

  3. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    > Since I am not to the point where I run almost everything in the same
    > acme window, I need quite a few windows when I'm on p9 or in rio from
    > p9p. And I am having trouble finding and raising to focus the one I need
    > when there are more than, say, five of them on a res of 1280x800.

    i tend to keep everything in acme, with other windows
    peeking out from behind. i can usually arrange that
    the windows i care about don't fully cover each other.

    what i'd really like is some kind of expose thing.
    i have also tried, at times, grabbing a control key
    (like control-tab) to cycle the windows, but i've never
    gotten it working satisfactorily (x causes all sorts of headache).
    F11 has been working well for me.

    in short i don't think there is a good solution yet.

    russ

  4. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    Hi all,

    Another rio usage question:

    I find it quite a tedious operation to point at the corner of a window
    with the cursor so that I can resize/move it, especially on the laptop
    when I'm stuck without a mouse.
    I like the feature in wmii where one can hold meta key + button 1/3 to
    resize/move a window, which works with a click pretty much anywhere on
    the window.

    So, is there such a key in rio, or a way to obtain a similar behaviour?
    Or does anyone have a smarter way to resize windows?

    Thanks,
    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  5. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    * Mathieu L. [080221 10:31]:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Another rio usage question:
    >
    > I find it quite a tedious operation to point at the corner of a window
    > with the cursor so that I can resize/move it, especially on the laptop
    > when I'm stuck without a mouse.
    > I like the feature in wmii where one can hold meta key + button 1/3 to
    > resize/move a window, which works with a click pretty much anywhere on
    > the window.
    >
    > So, is there such a key in rio, or a way to obtain a similar behaviour?
    > Or does anyone have a smarter way to resize windows?

    If you use the resize entry in the rio menu, you can just draw the
    new size of the window. No need to grab the edge at all...

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  6. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:24:05AM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
    > * Mathieu L. [080221 10:31]:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Another rio usage question:
    > >
    > > I find it quite a tedious operation to point at the corner of a window
    > > with the cursor so that I can resize/move it, especially on the laptop
    > > when I'm stuck without a mouse.
    > > I like the feature in wmii where one can hold meta key + button 1/3 to
    > > resize/move a window, which works with a click pretty much anywhere on
    > > the window.
    > >
    > > So, is there such a key in rio, or a way to obtain a similar behaviour?
    > > Or does anyone have a smarter way to resize windows?

    > If you use the resize entry in the rio menu, you can just draw the
    > new size of the window. No need to grab the edge at all...

    Damn. So simple. I should have just opened my eyes.
    thx, and sorry for the noise.

    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  7. Re: [9fans] managing windows in rio

    On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Mathieu L. wrote:

    > I find it quite a tedious operation to point at the corner of a window
    > with the cursor so that I can resize/move it, especially on the laptop
    > when I'm stuck without a mouse.
    > I like the feature in wmii where one can hold meta key + button 1/3 to
    > resize/move a window, which works with a click pretty much anywhere on
    > the window.

    try out reshape. It's a lifesaver.

    Also, you have lots of interesting ideas. Hack on the code! Have fun!
    Seriously.

    rio is *tiny*. Go ahead and make changes to it. It's fun! And you
    might get people to like your changes.

    After all, smacme has, oh, 1.25 users at this point :-)

    ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2