[9fans] next-server dhcpd option - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] next-server dhcpd option - Plan9 ; Moin, how do I specify dhcp options like "next-server" or "option root-path" in the Plan 9 ndb? Matthias...

  1. [9fans] next-server dhcpd option

    Moin,

    how do I specify dhcp options like "next-server" or "option root-path"
    in the Plan 9 ndb?

    Matthias

  2. Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option

    > how do I specify dhcp options like "next-server" or "option root-path"
    > in the Plan 9 ndb?

    based on my limited understanding of what 'next-server' does. it
    seems that it wouldn't be needed because you could import and
    aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses. there are various 'sleep' and ip
    ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
    responsibilities between servers.

    about 'option root-path': would bootf parameter in ndb and the
    /cfg/pxe/ (plan9.ini) be what you're looking for? or for
    a cpu, through /lib/namepsace.cpu

  3. Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option

    Moin,

    > aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses. there are various 'sleep' and ip
    > ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
    > responsibilities between servers.

    I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
    via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
    and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
    the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
    I'm interested in any other solution.

    > about 'option root-path': would bootf parameter in ndb and the
    > /cfg/pxe/ (plan9.ini) be what you're looking for? or for
    > a cpu, through /lib/namepsace.cpu

    I try to boot from an AoE target with etherboot/gpxe and on there website
    [1] they use:

    filename "";
    option root-path "aoe:eN.M";

    I can replace filename with bootf but don't now about root-path.

    Matthias

    [1] http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/sanboot/aoe_boot

  4. Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option

    On Feb 6, 2008 9:15 AM, Matthias Teege wrote:

    > I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
    > via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
    > and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
    > the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
    > I'm interested in any other solution.

    What about implementing tsize?. :-).

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  5. Re: [9fans] next-server dhcpd option

    Matthias Teege wrote:

    >Moin,
    >

    >>aggregate ndb that dhcpd uses. there are various 'sleep' and ip
    >>ranges options for dhcpd that might help with division of
    >>responsibilities between servers.
    >>

    >I have to boot some linux systems from my Plan 9 dns/dhcp/tftp server
    >via PXE. Pxelinux needs a tftp server which supports the tsize option
    >and I think the Plan 9 one doesn't do that. So my idea is to redirect
    >the tftp requests to another tftp server via the next-server option. But
    >I'm interested in any other solution.

    i hacked that in some time ago to boot netbsd/linux from plan9:

    http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/tftpd.c
    /n/sources/contrib/cinap_lenrek/tftpd.c

    cinap

+ Reply to Thread