[9fans] Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso. - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso. - Plan9 ; Hi, Yesterday I did a fresh install from the 20080203 image, and when booting from the harddisk I get a 'panic' almost immediately after the booting process starts. When this happens, the line "Press almost any key to reset..panic.." is ...

  1. [9fans] Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    Hi,

    Yesterday I did a fresh install from the 20080203 image, and when
    booting from the harddisk I get a 'panic' almost immediately after the
    booting process starts.
    When this happens, the line "Press almost any key to reset..panic.."
    is repeatedly (with a very small interval) printed to the screen.
    After approximately 12 seconds, the last two characters of 'reset' are
    garbled, and this garbled variant of the message is then repeatedly
    printed to the screen.
    After approximately 15 more seconds, more of the message gets garbled,
    after which this even more garbled version of the message is
    repeatedly printed to the screen for approximately 4 seconds.
    Then the machine resets.
    During this > 30 seconds of message printing, the machine doesn't seem
    to respond to keypresses; it keeps scrolling the message instead of
    resetting.

    This only happens on my real hardware though: when I boot my harddisk
    from linux through qemu, Plan 9 comes up nicely.

    The previous image I did a fresh install from, 20071222, didn't have
    this problem.

    Does anyone have an idea about what could be causing this, or how I
    can obtain useful information about what may be causing this?

    Thanks in advance,

    Sander.

  2. [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    It seems that my machine and /386/pbs don't get along too well. I
    reformatted my 9fat partition this way:

    disk/format –b /386/pbslba –d –r 2 /dev/sdC1/9fat /386/9load /386/9pcf
    /tmp/plan9.ini

    and then my machine booted nicely.
    Reformatting it again this way:

    disk/format –b /386/pbs –d –r 2 /dev/sdC1/9fat /386/9load /386/9pcf
    /tmp/plan9.ini

    broke things again. Can anyone give me a hint about why that could be?
    As far as I can tell, /386/pbs and /386/pbslba haven't changed since
    the 20071222 iso, yet things worked for me after a default install
    back then, and now they don't...

    Sander.

  3. [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    It's getting stranger. I just did a fresh install from the 20071222
    image (from which I've done a succesfull install on the same machine
    and disk before), and it gives me the same error.

    Two things that I haven't mentioned before and that may be relevant are these:

    1. I zeroed the target harddisk before installation like this: "dd -if
    /dev/zero -of /dev/sdC1/data".
    2. I also accidentally did this first when I really meant to zero the
    disk: "dd -if /dev/zero -f /dev/sdC1/raw".

    Does anyone know if either of these (specifically number 2) could have
    caused my issue? I'm not sure what (if anything) number two did.

    Greetings, Sander.

  4. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    > 1. I zeroed the target harddisk before installation like this: "dd -if
    > /dev/zero -of /dev/sdC1/data".
    > 2. I also accidentally did this first when I really meant to zero the
    > disk: "dd -if /dev/zero -f /dev/sdC1/raw".

    you did the right thing. the raw file is for issuing raw commands to
    the drive. (not raw like you're thinking. they're raw scsi commands
    which might be translated (loosely) into ata.) see scuzz(8).

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    On Feb 12, 2008 1:50 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > > 1. I zeroed the target harddisk before installation like this: "dd -if
    > > /dev/zero -of /dev/sdC1/data".
    > > 2. I also accidentally did this first when I really meant to zero the
    > > disk: "dd -if /dev/zero -f /dev/sdC1/raw".

    > you did the right thing. the raw file is for issuing raw commands to
    > the drive. (not raw like you're thinking. they're raw scsi commands
    > which might be translated (loosely) into ata.) see scuzz(8).

    I believe my writing turns out a bit unclear. What I meant to say was
    that I actually did a "dd -if /dev/zero -f /dev/sdC1/raw" before I
    figured out that it should have been "dd -if /dev/zero -of
    /dev/sdC1/data" instead. Hence I was wondering if writing those zeroes
    to the raw file could be the source of my problem (in case those
    zeroes translate to a command I really shouldn't have given), because
    this is one of the things I did right before the problem appeared.
    Anyway, thanks for the reference, I'll take a look at scuzz(8).

    Greetings, Sander.

  6. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    > I believe my writing turns out a bit unclear. What I meant to say was
    > that I actually did a "dd -if /dev/zero -f /dev/sdC1/raw" before I
    > figured out that it should have been "dd -if /dev/zero -of
    > /dev/sdC1/data" instead. Hence I was wondering if writing those zeroes
    > to the raw file could be the source of my problem (in case those
    > zeroes translate to a command I really shouldn't have given), because
    > this is one of the things I did right before the problem appeared.
    > Anyway, thanks for the reference, I'll take a look at scuzz(8).

    p. 361 ata 6.1 notes that command 0 is NOP. ata nop does put the
    drive into an error state so it could have screwed things up into you
    reboot. it shouldn't, but you'd have to trace through the code to
    prove it doesn't.

    - erik

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    > 1. I zeroed the target harddisk before installation like this: "dd -if
    > /dev/zero -of /dev/sdC1/data".

    You wiped out the MBR on the disk, use DOS's FDISK/MBR (sic) to
    restore it, it is the least painful way to fix this type of problem,
    in my experience.

    ++L

  8. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    On Feb 12, 2008 10:19 AM, wrote:
    > > 1. I zeroed the target harddisk before installation like this: "dd -if
    > > /dev/zero -of /dev/sdC1/data".

    > You wiped out the MBR on the disk, use DOS's FDISK/MBR (sic) to
    > restore it, it is the least painful way to fix this type of problem,
    > in my experience.

    I'll take a look, but I'm afraid it's not going to help. I've already
    tried NetBSD's MBR and Plan 9's MBR (using disk/mbr), and they both
    don't fix the problem.
    I've got the feeling that the problem has something to do with the
    addressing that the Plan 9 partition's boot block uses (When I install
    /386/pbslba it works, with /386/pbs it doesn't).
    So why don't I just install /386/pbslba then? Because a week ago,
    /386/pbs was working on this machine, and now all the sudden it isn't,
    and I can't stand that I can't explain why...
    Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a go and see if it helps.

    Greetings, Sander.

  9. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    > I'll take a look, but I'm afraid it's not going to help. I've already
    > tried NetBSD's MBR and Plan 9's MBR (using disk/mbr), and they both
    > don't fix the problem.

    That makes two of us. I have the same problem with compact flash
    devices. If I don't get the geometry exactly right (I did, a couple
    of times, bu no more) the devices are positively useless.

    And I cannot figure out why a while back I could find the right
    geometry it and now I have no idea how. Just like you.

    And, ironically, that may be your problem, too.

    ++L

  10. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    > That makes two of us. I have the same problem with compact flash
    > devices. If I don't get the geometry exactly right (I did, a couple
    > of times, bu no more) the devices are positively useless.
    >
    > And I cannot figure out why a while back I could find the right
    > geometry it and now I have no idea how. Just like you.
    >
    > And, ironically, that may be your problem, too.

    i've been booting from cf without any worries for a long time. even
    my semi-retired 440gx machine boots from cf; i've never looked at
    the disk geometry. what controller are you using and what's the
    output of /dev/sd../ctl?

    - erik

  11. Re: [9fans] Re: Booting problem after fresh install from 20080203 iso.

    I've been looking around for an explanation some more, and I've got
    some new information that I believe may suggest that it's my BIOS
    that's messing up.
    I've got all my drives set to autodetect at boot time in the BIOS, but
    there's one thing I can still configure per drive: addressing mode.
    I've got four of them to choose from (well, three actually): normal,
    large, lba and auto.
    Here's a list of what does and what doesn't work with the various
    addressing settings.

    Normal:
    /386/pbs does NOT work
    /386/pbslba does work

    Large:
    /386/pbs does work
    /386/pbslba does work

    LBA:
    /386/pbs does work
    /386/pbslba does work

    Auto:
    /386/pbs does work
    /386/pbslba does work

    Looking at this, I'm starting to think that my BIOS is messing up when
    I have my disk set to normal mode. That combination (normal mode in
    BIOS and /386/pbs) used to work though, so that would mean that
    something in the hardware of my machine must have broken in the
    meantime. Does anyone know if this is likely (given the symptoms), and
    how I could verify this?

    Greetings, Sander.

+ Reply to Thread